T Nation

Current Reading List?

I think it’s safe to say T-Nation is about more than just training to most people who frequent here…
(of course, the ideas and info on training we get here is priceless)

but anyway, the last few books I bought have been the ones mentioned in Chris Shugart’s blog…(“The Da Vinci Code”, other Dan Brown’s work, and “Evolution” to name a few)… and I’m guessing my next fiction book (when I’m done with “Evolution”… which will take a while cuz I allow myself to read it only on weekends, and while I take a shit) will be “Life of Pi” which was mentioned in TC’s blog…

I’m wondering what other guys of T-Nations are reading as well. (fiction or non-fiction)

How Israel Lost, then Twilight of the Idols then Manufacturing Consent and hopefully something by Ayn Rand. Cheers

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.
Also, I intend to read Battle Royale (can’t remember the author’s name). It got great reviews from my friends, so I figure it’s worth a read.

America (The Book) - Jon Stewart and the Daily show writers
Kingdom of Fear - HST
Bourne Supremacy - R. Ludlum

To the last guy, you’d better add 1984 to your list.

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand is great.

I’m currently reading the Count of Monte Cristo, because a good looking girl told me to.

I’m also in the middle of reading ‘Brave New World’, as well as ‘Michael Moore is a big fat stupid white man’, ‘Six Days’, ‘Unheralded Victory’, and ‘The March Up’.

One day I’ll actually finish a book instead of starting new ones 90% of the way through.

Just finished King’s Dark Tower 6: Song of Susannah, and started the last book in series: The Dark Tower. It’s been a helluva ride and I’m dreading it ending.

Ishmael by Daniel Quinn (this one REALLY makes you THINK)

Inca Gold by Clive Cussler

I am re-reading Fight Club right now

I’m currently reading “The Fountainhead” in between classes and when I can find time.

Other than that, I’m reading any Anthropology material I can get my hands on.

I plan on reading “The Price” when I finish “The Fountainhead.”

I know there are many others, but my mind is drawing a blank tonight.

That’s funny, Fragile, I’m reading the last Dark Tower also. Haven’t been impressed with the last two, but Wizard and Glass (in my opinion) was hard to live up to.

Xenophon - Many works, especially Anabasis and Cyropaedia. Recently finished Phenomenology of Mind (Hegel) and On Tyranny (Strauss).
Baudelaire - Les Fleurs Du Mal.
Marx - Several works, with distaste.

Tonight- Shakespeare’s Tempest.

Just finished Alexander of Macedon by Peter Green. Am currently reading The Greco-Persian Wars by the same author, and Sacred Secrets by Jerrold and Leona Schecter.

Shake Hands with the Devil - by Lt Gen Dallaire on the genocide in Rwanda (he led the UN mission).
A Walk in the Woods - travel book about trip along the Appalachian trail.
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.
Crime and Punishment. (novel)
A Confederacy of Dunces. (novel)

Just finished Gulliver’s Travels and Awakening the Buddha Within.

And hopefully that will get done by December… : )

Speed Trap - Charlie Francis
Ender’s Game - Orson Scott Card (I think that this is about the 35th time I will have read this book, no bullshit)

Last 5 books I’ve made it through?

In reverse chronological order

La Muerte de Artemio Cruz-Fuentes
Les Jeuxs son Faits-Sartre
Cien Anos de Soledad-Marquez
Penguin History of Latin America-Williamson
Republic-Plato

Our school has us do an aboslutely insane amount of reading BUT, admittedly it is one amazing book after another and the 30 or so books I’ve had to read in the last year have all been exceptionally enjoyable, no complaints with any of them.

Quick summary of the five listed:
La Muerte de Artemio Cruz-wow. This is by far the most demanding literary achievement I have ever read. The style is absolutely impeccable and the story is rather interesting also. As with many LA novels, it is not at all chronological but of course is logical in context so if you are reading a book for literary merit… look no further

Les Jeuxs son Faits-a terrific little existentialism work. If French is not your native tongue (isn’t mine) let me warn you that because the play was written a ways back, the vocabulary is archaic now at best and can be a bit puzzling at time. Not the best read for improving your conversational French but if you’re interested in existentialiasm and are looking to maintain/improve your French, you’ve found your match.

Cien Anos de Soledad-a much easier read than La Muerte de Artemio Cruz in terms of literary minutae. The story is straight forward and the subtleties are not evasive if you read the book with any attention. A quite interesting (hi)story of Columbia or most of South America really but a bit long. The book could have been made half the length and I woudl have enjoyed it much more. Either way, if your up for a fantastical book to read on the beach or somewhere else relaxed without too much effort, not a bad catch.

Penguin History of Latin America-if you’re interested in learning about Latin America, a disgustingly thorough review from pre-colonization to present. If you aren’t a history person, don’t bother, it’ll read like a dictionary. If 10 pages of statistical appendices and a 25 page bibliographical essay aren’t your cup of tea, try again :slight_smile:

Republic-what can I say? An absolute foundation to moral debates. The dialogue is comically “scripted” which leads to some quick laughs between sections but the content and arguments are absolutely intriguing. A great “strong mind strong body” kind of work in many aspects. If you wan’t to know why diet and exercise make you a better person in terms of morals, give it a whirl. It seems long and thick, but it flies once you get used to it.

This thread on some levels is nice, it allows people to swap good reads and keep up to date on what’s being put out there that is any good. On the other hand, I can see it becoming a “I read more studious novels than you do” and people recommending famed books they haven’t read. Hoping for the best, not the latter :slight_smile:

The two i am in the middle of right now are:

Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman (this is really more a collection of essays than a book or story, but they are tremendously funny)
Fight club

yeah I loved cian anos de soledad. I read another one of his books a long long time ago called something like “love in the time of cholera” or something like that. Anyways it was pretty good too. I am not sure exactly how the title would translate into english though.

thank you all for the replies

gave me more ideas for the next books (now, of course, the problem is picking one at a time).

maybe we can keep it up when we read a book we feel others will enjoy.

since the recent fiction books I read were all metioned in blogs… here are 2 non-fiction books I feel some of you may enjoy

“We the Media” -Dan Gillmor
(you can download the ebook version from creative commons. creativecommons.org)

“Hackers and Painters, big ideas from the computer age” -Paul Graham
there are many things non-programmers can appreciate in this book.

Late reply – sorry. Last several books I’ve read:

The DaVinci Code
Angels and Demons (similar to DVC)
The Road Less Traveled
Secrets of the Code (much of Dan Brown’s source material for DVC)
Timeline (Michael Crichton – a great book)
Wild at Heart

Unfortunately, I finished Timeline yesterday, and now I need to start another. Finished that one in 4 days. I’ve become a rather voracious reader…