Current Progress

You try and hit a PR on each session, that’s what the + set is all about.

If your not hitting those numbers I would say you started with a TM that was to high. Get the book its about a tenner from amazon read the thing and then re think your numbers, it’s not the most complicated program to follow and it’s effective because of it, start light smash those prs and realize that the big lifts are key not the assistance stuff.

It’s perfectly understandable that OHP stalled quick, it’s everyone’s weakest lift.

If true max was 100#, 90% is 90#. You add 5 lbs a cycle so by the third you are right back at 100#. OHP requires more resets than most other lifts by the nature of the program.

I’m not sure if your question was answered or not but if you’re failing on your 3rd cycle and you used a 90% TM…

1. Your 1RM was estimated too high
  2. You’re not pushing your PR sets
  3. You’re not eating
  4. See #3

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]NickSP wrote:
And no, you really don’t want to be going to failure on accessory work. I would even try to avoid failure on the main lift, let alone anything else.
[/quote]
I am not sure I agree with this. I do best going to failure on at least one set per session. [/quote]

If you’re making progress, then keep with it. But from what’s written in the books, it seems Wendler does not typically recommend failure, at least not often (especially assistance). Personally, I try to fail as rarely as possible…not that it’s never happened. I can’t even remember the last time I failed on an assistance movement.

[quote]NickSP wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]NickSP wrote:
And no, you really don’t want to be going to failure on accessory work. I would even try to avoid failure on the main lift, let alone anything else.
[/quote]
I am not sure I agree with this. I do best going to failure on at least one set per session. [/quote]

If you’re making progress, then keep with it. But from what’s written in the books, it seems Wendler does not typically recommend failure, at least not often (especially assistance). Personally, I try to fail as rarely as possible…not that it’s never happened. I can’t even remember the last time I failed on an assistance movement.[/quote]
I don’t take assistance movement to failure, but I do AMRAP to failure.

It’s not unbelievable that you have to reset OHP on the third cycle.

100# 1RM = 90# TM. Add 5 lbs a cycle and your TM becomes greater than your 1RM by the third cycle. There’s a reason why OHP needs to be reset more than any other lift.

[quote]DAVE101 wrote:

100# 1RM = 90# TM. Add 5 lbs a cycle and your TM becomes greater than your 1RM by the third cycle. There’s a reason why OHP needs to be reset more than any other lift.[/quote]
True, but even then on your 5/3/1+ week, you would be doing only 95 on your third cycle, so you still shouldn’t have to reset until at least about 5 cycles. Remember, you should be getting stronger each month also.

If you do the program as layed out - you will not have a problem. It is incredibly easy to follow.

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]DAVE101 wrote:

100# 1RM = 90# TM. Add 5 lbs a cycle and your TM becomes greater than your 1RM by the third cycle. There’s a reason why OHP needs to be reset more than any other lift.[/quote]
True, but even then on your 5/3/1+ week, you would be doing only 95 on your third cycle, so you still shouldn’t have to reset until at least about 5 cycles. Remember, you should be getting stronger each month also. [/quote]

I agree for the most part. Sure the press stalls faster but if the correct 1RM is used then the TM should be low enough to progress for a while. If not, then generally speaking I would think there are other factors at play, namely nutrition & recovery.