Current Job Market for People

I’m a college student who will be graduating within the year. My buddy just complained about the trouble he’s had in the job market. He graduated in august of last year, had a 3.5 average, and has work experience. But he’s had trouble finding jobs in his field and he also said he didn’t do any interns. Any words of advice before I graduate and go into the real world.

I graduate next Saturday and secured a job to start at the end of May. I have 2 years part time experience in my field.

Is your degree in something that can be applied?

My degree is Business Management, but I need to find a decent minor( I was a Phys Ed Major and switched two years in). I want to become a Human Resource manager, but willing to adapt to whatever job I can get.

We were talking about this in my finance class. Some of the kids were saying how they can’t even get summer internships after appling to dozens of places and they have high GPAs. Some know friends who are graduating and can’t get a job. GE and UTC won’t even look at you unless you have a 3.7

I guess my 2.5 ain’t going to me shit, ha. Back to the warehouse probably.

I just got a job yesterday, in a field in which I had no experience. BUT, I’ve had to spend the last few months looking, and I’ve talked and talked and talked to people, in addition to all the resumes I sent out. In the end I got just as many interviews with companies from talking to people as I did from sending resumes. The job I ended up getting, I was probably only interviewed because I knew someone, but I do feel that I handled the interview well.

I dotn know if the above counts as helpful advice (but I just wanted to share that I just got a job after months of looking anyway) but if not, I’d say buckle up and strap in, cuz you might be looking for a while.

I’ve come to the conclusion that unless you know somebody, you can’t get a decent job nowadays. Nepotism is at an all time high, and to me the only secure future out there is in the military.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
I’m a college student who will be graduating within the year. My buddy just complained about the trouble he’s had in the job market. He graduated in august of last year, had a 3.5 average, and has work experience. But he’s had trouble finding jobs in his field and he also said he didn’t do any interns. Any words of advice before I graduate and go into the real world.[/quote]

Hint: don’t look at you’re field of study as the field of work you were meant to pursue. Many college grads don’t actually end up working in the field they intended.

Expand your search criteria. Look for other fields of employment that cross into your studies.

If engineering is your field of study, you better be top of your graduating class and have done plenty of internships. Those are the most competitive fields to seek employment in.

[quote]gatesoftanhauser wrote:
I’ve come to the conclusion that unless you know somebody, you can’t get a decent job nowadays. Nepotism is at an all time high, and to me the only secure future out there is in the military. [/quote]

Indeed, it isn’t what you know but rather who you know. In the professional world it is called a “network” – and it is a legitimate way to find work.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
My degree is Business Management, but I need to find a decent minor( I was a Phys Ed Major and switched two years in). I want to become a Human Resource manager, but willing to adapt to whatever job I can get.[/quote]

You could conceivably find work anywhere. Just about every organization has an HR dept. Unfortunately, if businesses aren’t expecting to expand due, for example, to a recession there won’t be many new jobs opening for HR – it will be the last place a company expands. You’ll be relegated to waiting for positions to open up due to vacancy, etc. Most people will not vacate during an “economic downturn” so you may be waiting for a while.

Ever thought of moving to another city/state/overseas? Sure, it’s a big step, but its better to go where the jobs are rather than where they aren’t.

I just graduated with a Construction Management degree. I secured a well paying job in November. My department could secure twice as many jobs in a year as we have students graduating.

Go abroad?

Be willing to move

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
Any words of advice before I graduate and go into the real world.[/quote]

I believe McDonalds are hiring.

Actually, I just wanted opinions and advice from people like myself and experienced people who are already in the work field.

I’m still all ears. Please post more.

To Renton:…No…

Go to the human resources department of some of the types of companies you would like to work for. Find out every position they have analyze them and figure out what they’re missing. Then go and apply for missing position. Employers love people who know how to think for themselves not just toe the line. You have a higher education use it, stop thinking like a high school student you’re way past that now. All the best to you.

The problem is most of you guys do business, finance, accounting, etc. Everyone graduates with those degrees how the hell do you expect to stand out? “But but but I got a 3.8 gpa!” Ya in an easy degree (except accounting) so everyone has inflated gpas. If you want to do business and get a decent job starting out you either have to know somebody or go to a good business school for a masters…even then it is iffy. Also, lower your standards. Most people getting out of school don’t make much more than 40k depending on your location. Good News: Around 2009 a lot of people will be retiring so hopefully that will help.

My major is Airport Management. I could become a pilot, become a safety manager, manage an airport, manage a business, join FAA for air traffic control…I have lots of outs.

If you arn’t sure what you want to do pick an uncommon major. If you like common majors then dual major or get a very useful in demand minor.

Examples:

Safety industry: It is fucking huge. It doesn’t matter what field of safety you can almost guarantee yourself a handful of job openings as long as you arn’t stupid or an asshole. Plus starting pay is around 60k or higher depending on specific industry and location.

Medical care: become licensed to do nursing and advanced things like setting broken bones. Much better pay than nursing without all the years of medical school to become a doctor.

Skills: welding, auto, carpentry, etc.

Honestly if you couldn’t get an internship or network with industry people while at college…well YOU FAIL AT LIFE!!! Better become a teacher.

Anything else? I’m soaking this all in.

[quote]gatesoftanhauser wrote:
I’ve come to the conclusion that unless you know somebody, you can’t get a decent job nowadays. Nepotism is at an all time high, and to me the only secure future out there is in the military. [/quote]

The surprising thing are the people who are aware of this but don’t make it a point to know more people.

If you really can’t find a job you can always join the peace corp or other volunteer program for a year. Looks really got on resumes and school applications.