T Nation

Current Issues

[quote]Dave284 wrote:
Thats a bit harsh dude, he has taken the time to try and help you out. I kind of agree with him in that if your lockout is your problem, then why not hammer some close grip pressing first? Theres no real need to use chains, but I guess if you have access to them and use them as your ME exercise then whats the harm.
If you need proof then read through Hanley’s log from the beginning- chains and bands are not key, they re just one tool among many. [/quote]

I realise this. The point was I accomplished my RE goal now I’m going to do a few weeks of some DE work. My lockout is my problem, what should I do?

“Bench, squat, deadlift more”

Where’s the point. why post useless shit? It wasn’t going to help anyone which should of been clear before hitting the post button. I merely asked about my sticking point and posting useless shit is supposed to help? It’s not even like I think I’m some super awesome advanced lifter. I know my place. It’s the rediculous shit like that that didn’t need to be posted in a thread. I’ll deffinately consider close grip presses. I tend to closen up my grip for de/re work becuase benching wide twice a week reeks havoc on my shoulders.

thanks for giving some actual advice.

If too much benching gives you shoulder issues why not do some floor pressing for RE to give them a break? Neutral grip with dumbells has worked well for me recently and wont put any undue pressure on your shoulders.
Just out of interest whats your benching technique like? I had chronic shoulder issues, no matter how much back I trained, until I really refined my bench technique.

[quote]Dave284 wrote:
If too much benching gives you shoulder issues why not do some floor pressing for RE to give them a break? Neutral grip with dumbells has worked well for me recently and wont put any undue pressure on your shoulders.
Just out of interest whats your benching technique like? I had chronic shoulder issues, no matter how much back I trained, until I really refined my bench technique.[/quote]

I bench with the legal widest grip for ME, index fingers on the rings. I used to bench like this for all my bench work. Now I don’t really have any pain when benching sicne I do closer grip for re/de/whatever. I have a slight arch, not a huge one by any means. If I miss during hte lift it’s in about the middle of the press.

How tall are you? Im 5’8, I bench pinkies on the rings, that way its easier to really tuck the elbows and this has been whats saved my shoulder I think. I also tend to arch quite a lot. Horses for courses though I guess. I tended to bench way too much when I was your age (im 20 now) and it impared my gains a lot later on due to my shoulder. You should be careful of it, no point in going crazy when you ve got a lot of lifting ahead of you.

[quote]Dave284 wrote:
How tall are you? Im 5’8, I bench pinkies on the rings, that way its easier to really tuck the elbows and this has been whats saved my shoulder I think. I also tend to arch quite a lot. Horses for courses though I guess. I tended to bench way too much when I was your age (im 20 now) and it impared my gains a lot later on due to my shoulder. You should be careful of it, no point in going crazy when you ve got a lot of lifting ahead of you.[/quote]

Have you tried rotator cuff exercises. I started adding in behind neck band pull aparts, regular band pull aparts, push ups, face pulls and shoulder traction with bands. Added these things in about 6-9 months ago, I do them whenever my shoulder starts to feel a click, but before it starts to hurt. Fixed my shoulder and has successfully been holding off any reoccurances, and I almost always train with the widest legal grip. Might be worth a shot if you haven’t already done it.

although i have very long arms, to the wide grip still allows me to tuck considerably.

Do regular squats instead of box squats.
Do defecit deadlifts(deadlifts off of a platform/plates)
Do board presses/DE Bench

My shoulder seems ok now, touch wood. Mostly modifying my benching has helped, but so have DB power cleans and cuban presses. Id be concerned that the OP is quite young and is getting shoulder issues, it sidelined me from pressing for 9 months.

Clearly its his perogative what he decides to do, but benching x2 a week with shoulder issues might make the problem worse. As a powerlifter benching is obviously key, but RE work could be changed up maybe?

[quote]Dave284 wrote:
My shoulder seems ok now, touch wood. Mostly modifying my benching has helped, but so have DB power cleans and cuban presses. Id be concerned that the OP is quite young and is getting shoulder issues, it sidelined me from pressing for 9 months. Clearly its his perogative what he decides to do, but benching x2 a week with shoulder issues might make the problem worse. As a powerlifter benching is obviously key, but RE work could be changed up maybe?[/quote]

this is what i’ve been doing. My shoulder doesn’t give me problems anymore after I closed my grip in for de/re work. It’s fine now.

[quote]ThinkGreen wrote:
Do regular squats instead of box squats.
Do defecit deadlifts(deadlifts off of a platform/plates)
Do board presses/DE Bench[/quote]

1.I do do normal backsquats now
2.idk how I’m gonna deadlift sumo on a platform
3. That’s what I thought. but there is a bit of discussion in this thread if I need that. care to add?

thanks for the imput

Nice work, I wish id been that sensible! Have you found that you oly stuff has helped your squat? You might just have been out of the groove on your last squat session I guess. I switched to front squats off the box last week and I was all over the shop, RE day today was a lot better.
Do you ever pull conventionally?

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
Dave284 wrote:
Thats a bit harsh dude, he has taken the time to try and help you out. I kind of agree with him in that if your lockout is your problem, then why not hammer some close grip pressing first? Theres no real need to use chains, but I guess if you have access to them and use them as your ME exercise then whats the harm.
If you need proof then read through Hanley’s log from the beginning- chains and bands are not key, they re just one tool among many.

I realise this. The point was I accomplished my RE goal now I’m going to do a few weeks of some DE work. My lockout is my problem, what should I do?

“Bench, squat, deadlift more”

Where’s the point. why post useless shit? It wasn’t going to help anyone which should of been clear before hitting the post button. I merely asked about my sticking point and posting useless shit is supposed to help? It’s not even like I think I’m some super awesome advanced lifter. I know my place. It’s the rediculous shit like that that didn’t need to be posted in a thread. I’ll deffinately consider close grip presses. I tend to closen up my grip for de/re work becuase benching wide twice a week reeks havoc on my shoulders.

thanks for giving some actual advice.[/quote]

For starters, my intentions were not to ‘stir shit up’… I was simply voicing my opinion and I wasn’t trying to bash the others who gave advice to use bands. I simply think you don’t need bands and that you can progress by just doing the basics.

Call me crazy but the basics shouldn’t be considered “ridiculous shit like that didn’t need to be posted in a thread”.

Now to stir shit …

Guess what?

YOU’RE F*CKING WEAK!

205 bench and you’re worried about a lockout. You obviously don’t know you’re place if you think you need to work specifically on that at this point in your training. Hit your triceps a little harder, keep workin’ on that bench, and things will work out just fine.

I find it hard to believe that any reasonable lifter on this site can argue with the remarks I’ve made.

Go ahead and bench with bands if you think it will be fun, its my simple opinion that you will progress fine without them and with a little more patience.

[quote]Blongo wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
Dave284 wrote:
Thats a bit harsh dude, he has taken the time to try and help you out. I kind of agree with him in that if your lockout is your problem, then why not hammer some close grip pressing first? Theres no real need to use chains, but I guess if you have access to them and use them as your ME exercise then whats the harm.
If you need proof then read through Hanley’s log from the beginning- chains and bands are not key, they re just one tool among many.

I realise this. The point was I accomplished my RE goal now I’m going to do a few weeks of some DE work. My lockout is my problem, what should I do?

“Bench, squat, deadlift more”

Where’s the point. why post useless shit? It wasn’t going to help anyone which should of been clear before hitting the post button. I merely asked about my sticking point and posting useless shit is supposed to help? It’s not even like I think I’m some super awesome advanced lifter. I know my place. It’s the rediculous shit like that that didn’t need to be posted in a thread. I’ll deffinately consider close grip presses. I tend to closen up my grip for de/re work becuase benching wide twice a week reeks havoc on my shoulders.

thanks for giving some actual advice.

For starters, my intentions were not to ‘stir shit up’… I was simply voicing my opinion and I wasn’t trying to bash the others who gave advice to use bands. I simply think you don’t need bands and that you can progress by just doing the basics.

Call me crazy but the basics shouldn’t be considered “ridiculous shit like that didn’t need to be posted in a thread”.

Now to stir shit …

Guess what?

YOU’RE F*CKING WEAK!

205 bench and you’re worried about a lockout. You obviously don’t know you’re place if you think you need to work specifically on that at this point in your training. Hit your triceps a little harder, keep workin’ on that bench, and things will work out just fine.

I find it hard to believe that any reasonable lifter on this site can argue with the remarks I’ve made.

Go ahead and bench with bands if you think it will be fun, its my simple opinion that you will progress fine without them and with a little more patience.

[/quote]

No shit I am fucking weak. that isn’t the arguement. I’m stronger off my chest in the bench press then at the top. I would probably see some immediate progress working on fixing that. It’s not even like I don’t do the basics. Thats all I fucking do right now. It’s not even a huge concern of mine, but just like you I would LOVE to see more weight on the bar. I have two days I bench during the week. One is ME of course the other is RE/DE/whatever I think wil help my bench. I simply asked what I should do on that to help my bench. and stated where I was weak. You told me to “bench more”. no way, great way to stir shit up. I wanted to know if someone out tehre had a similar problem and what they did about it. It would probably lead to me benching more weight, faster. I don’t think I “need” bands,chains, etc to progress. But we have chains in our weightroom, and if they would help, why not use them?

I had a hard time seeing sincerity in your original post. I see your point completely, but I think you mistook my intentions. But I’ll take your word for it and I apologize for taking it the wrong way.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:

You are a shitstain of a human being. [/quote]

Who the fuck are you? Wait wait. Youre a 160lb teenager whose only real talent thus far is being a dick to people on the internet. Learn your place and show some fucking respect. There is no reason for you to be conducting yourself in this way. He said you were weak. Are you trying to contest that point? Then why the attitude?

Maybe instead of coming on here and whining about freshman all of the time, you could go eat and then you wouldnt have problems with your bench anymore?

Seriously. Im counting the days until someone rubs your ass in the dirt and you lose that bitch attitude youve got. If you act to people in real life the way you do on these forums, its bound to happen any day now.

[quote]Dave284 wrote:
Nice work, I wish id been that sensible! Have you found that you oly stuff has helped your squat? You might just have been out of the groove on your last squat session I guess. I switched to front squats off the box last week and I was all over the shop, RE day today was a lot better.
Do you ever pull conventionally?[/quote]

I used to pull conventiona for everything lower then 90% of my max. I found it fatigues me more then doing sumos for my warmups.

About the OLY stuff. I’m just gettign back into it after a hiatus working specifically on powerlifting. My maxes are still rediculously low on the lifts even compared to my powerlifting total. I was also flexable enough to be able to do the full lifts decently correct after a few sessions. Most people I know can’t get close to going ATG with a bar overhead. They tip over and whatnot. I think they help a little with the squat, but I’m concerned if they are holding my DL back since I pull from the floor 3x a week.

Understood. I appreciate the apology and I’m sorry if I offended you, but my original post was more of a reaction to the other’s advice than it was to your problem.

It now seems like you know what you have to do. Get to work and make some progress.

In all sincerity, good luck.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:

You are a shitstain of a human being.

Who the fuck are you? Wait wait. Youre a 160lb teenager whose only real talent thus far is being a dick to people on the internet. Learn your place and show some fucking respect. There is no reason for you to be conducting yourself in this way. He said you were weak. Are you trying to contest that point? Then why the attitude?

Maybe instead of coming on here and whining about freshman all of the time, you could go eat and then you wouldnt have problems with your bench anymore?

Seriously. Im counting the days until someone rubs your ass in the dirt and you lose that bitch attitude youve got. If you act to people in real life the way you do on these forums, its bound to happen any day now.[/quote]

I appreciate it stronghold, and I’m pretty sure he’s seen the err of his ways.

[quote]Blongo wrote:
Understood. I appreciate the apology and I’m sorry if I offended you, but my original post was more of a reaction to the other’s advice than it was to your problem.

It now seems like you know what you have to do. Get to work and make some progress.

In all sincerity, good luck.[/quote]

thanks man. I took it as a personal attack more then anything. on the same note. do you think close grips or DE chain benches are a better idea for the next few weeks?

Yeah well oly stuff isnt really for me, but the amount of core stablization it requires might be a benefit. The benching could be a mental thing also. I remember struggling with 2 plates when I first did it just because it was 2 plates. Keeping your focus on either PL or OL might help your gains.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
thanks man. I took it as a personal attack more then anything. on the same note. do you think close grips or DE chain benches are a better idea for the next few weeks?[/quote]

Experimentation is key. Go with your gut. If one doesn’t work try the other. Finding out what works best for you is a major part of the battle.

Where would you implement them? Instead of the RE bench? Your overall intensity throughout the week seems to be high. You’re young but do you feel fried from all that high CNS stuff?

You will get results from either, but it is dependent on the work you put into it.

If you don’t already may I recommend you read everything you can over at elitefts.com it’s a good resource.

Not to hate on T-Nation, but you have to be careful about getting all your info from one source.

Never be satisfied

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:

You are a shitstain of a human being.

Who the fuck are you? Wait wait. Youre a 160lb teenager whose only real talent thus far is being a dick to people on the internet. Learn your place and show some fucking respect. There is no reason for you to be conducting yourself in this way. He said you were weak. Are you trying to contest that point? Then why the attitude?

Maybe instead of coming on here and whining about freshman all of the time, you could go eat and then you wouldnt have problems with your bench anymore?

Seriously. Im counting the days until someone rubs your ass in the dirt and you lose that bitch attitude youve got. If you act to people in real life the way you do on these forums, its bound to happen any day now.[/quote]

very touching stronghold. It’s really too bad your a person on the internet I don’t care about. I really do give respect to people who deserve it. I took something the wrong way, got pissed and type a insulting responce. I realized my error and appologized.

If you want a reason why I hate the freshmen at my school. I 5’2" 40%bodyfat kid who curls 15s every few days, randomly told me and my training partner while getting some water in between squat sets. we don’t know how to lift becuase we don’t play baseball. And he knows how because that’s how he got his arms all huge.

People like this just don’t get respect from me. It’s not just like it’s one kid either. We have another kid who smith benches like 80 pounds once a week MAYBE. take off a tshirt, has a beater underneath and proceed to flex in the mirror in between smith bench sets, point at us doing deadlifts, tell his friends "I used to do more then that on that lift, but I learned it’s really bad for you. Kid hasn’t touched a barbell more then 100 pounds in his life. I see shit like this daily.

Other shit:
kids walk in between me and the rack when I’m dling/oly lifting. the racks and platforms are one thing here, it’s really nice. he was literally maybe 3" away from smashing into that kids face. I almost dropped a deadlift bar on a kids foot, because he walked through the platform when I was at the top of the lift. I’ve had to wait for asshats to get done SRCing for around 20 minutes even when there is a room full of preset dumbells and barbells along with benches to set the bar on. he was SRCing nicks. The same asshat does abs in the squatrack too. There are maybe 8-10 guys in a school on over a thousand whoo have any clue what they are doing.