T Nation

Current Issues

Bench:
sticking point is about 7" off my chest. Would board presses help? what size? any good links explaining thee in detail. I bench raw.

Squat:
I’ve been only box squatting for the last few months. I box squat 315x5 on a parallel box. I tried normal squatting today I got up 245x1 and I felt like I ripped every muscle fiber in my groin area. Do I need to recondition myself to normal backsquats? Will the box squat strength have greater carryover in a suit (single ply)?

Deadlift: If I get it off the ground it’s mine. I deadlift sumo. I’ve been having a hard time getting it off the ground. Should I train abs more or what?

my routine looks like:
Monday:
Boxsquat to max
RE bench
full cleans
DB rows

Wednesday:
Deadlift to max
GHR
calves
(add abs in here)?

Thursday:
bench to max triple double or single
military
incline db press
chins
DB rows

Friday:
Snatch
backsquat
jerks

Maxes:
Bench: 205
Squat 245
deadlift:345

So are you saying 245 is your max in the free squat, or just that there is some discomfort?

[quote]evansmi wrote:
So are you saying 245 is your max in the free squat, or just that there is some discomfort?
[/quote]

It was my first time doing a free squat and that’s as high as I went. it really destroyed my groin. Is the solution to continue squatting and it will go away or wait until I’m in gear to start normal backsquatting?

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
Bench:
sticking point is about 7" off my chest. Would board presses help? what size? any good links explaining thee in detail. I bench raw.
[/quote]

boards will help but i think you may get better results benching against bands. will give you both the strength and the speed

Squat:
I’ve been only box squatting for the last few months. I box squat 315x5 on a parallel box. I tried normal squatting today I got up 245x1 and I felt like I ripped every muscle fiber in my groin area. Do I need to recondition myself to normal backsquats?
[/quote]
yes. your groin is weak. drop the weight and build those muscles back up.

[quote]robo1 wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
Bench:

boards will help but i think you may get better results benching against bands. will give you both the strength and the speed

zephead4747 wrote:
Squat:
I’ve been only box squatting for the last few months. I box squat 315x5 on a parallel box. I tried normal squatting today I got up 245x1 and I felt like I ripped every muscle fiber in my groin area. Do I need to recondition myself to normal backsquats?

yes. your groin is weak. drop the weight and build those muscles back up.
[/quote]

We don’t have bands in my weightroom. Will chains work?
I’ll assume in a few weeks my groin will be getting up to par. How should I incorperate chains in my training. I have 2 weeks of DE bench planned on my first bench day. Should I swap that with chain benching or what?

my opinion is yes. swap it out. not sure what you set/rep scheme looks like but i typically warm up to about 60% of my raw max and then add 40 pounds of chain and do my work sets at that weight. this will help your sticking point, which at 7 inches i’m assuming is near your lockout.

though you should also incorporate boards too in order to get the overload. I do three boards raw frequently, which has helped my lockout power a lot. and buy some bands, in my experience bands have worked for me a bit better than boards and chains in learning to stay tight and move the bar faster.

[quote]robo1 wrote:
my opinion is yes. swap it out. not sure what you set/rep scheme looks like but i typically warm up to about 60% of my raw max and then add 40 pounds of chain and do my work sets at that weight. this will help your sticking point, which at 7 inches i’m assuming is near your lockout. though you should also incorporate boards too in order to get the overload. I do three boards raw frequently, which has helped my lockout power a lot. and buy some bands, in my experience bands have worked for me a bit better than boards and chains in learning to stay tight and move the bar faster.[/quote]

I have no clue how to set up bands on the benches in our weightroom. Not to mention I’m a broke highschool student. I don’t bench in a shirt as per WHSPA. But as I’ve added weight if I miss during the lift it’s in the middle of the press. I might make myself some boards next week.so I bench 205 I should use120+40 pound s of chains? And this is my DE work for the next too weak. I’m think 8x3 for reps.

If you wanted to use bands, the set up shouldn’t be a problem. Just do as here fitnessforoneandall.com/powerlifting/images/pictures/bands/bench-2.jpg but obviously with both ends of the band to together, and jam a small plate either side of the dumbbell to prevent it moving.

FWIW, I’ve always felt the banded benching works better than chains. Even for my raw strength.

Bands?

Are you kidding? He only benches 205 … get some experience under your belt before you start worrying about throwing stuff like that in there. Save it for when you really need it.

Here’s an idea, bench more often, squat more often, and dead lift more often if thats what you want to improve in.

Bands for a 205 bench?

come on, is this a joke?

[quote]Blongo wrote:
Here’s an idea, bench more often, squat more often, and dead lift more often if thats what you want to improve in.
[/quote]

But thats not sexy OR high tech!

[quote]Blongo wrote:
Save it for when you really need it.
[/quote]

Why do people always say this shit? do you actually believe he’s gonna use them all up. Like one day in the future, he’ll have speed issues that could be fixed with band work, but unfortunately a few years back, he used them all up. Too bad, shoulda saved them, now he’ll never be strong.

Bands are fun, if he wants to use them, so be it. Just because you don’t NEED something doesn’t mean you can’t do it.

I don’t NEED to be learning pistols right now, but its a fun exercise and its one of many ways to strengthen the legs, so I’m using them. Just because people have gotten stronger than I am without using pistols, doesn’t mean that I should save them for when I NEED them. They give me results, it doesn’t matter if simpler exercises would give me the same results.

Its the same thing really.

You can do speed work without bands, Just make sure to stay tight and use 60-70%

[quote]Blongo wrote:
Bands?

Are you kidding? He only benches 205 … get some experience under your belt before you start worrying about throwing stuff like that in there. Save it for when you really need it.

Bands for a 205 bench?

come on, is this a joke?[/quote]

By your reasoning he shouldn’t go close grips, inclines or dumbbell benching then too since they’re not a squat, bench or deadlift.

I wasn’t talking about working to a max with bands. I wasn’t talking about speed work with bands. I was talking about sets of 5 or 6 progressively overloading them.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Blongo wrote:

By your reasoning he shouldn’t go close grips, inclines or dumbbell benching then too since they’re not a squat, bench or deadlift.

I wasn’t talking about working to a max with bands. I wasn’t talking about speed work with bands. I was talking about sets of 5 or 6 progressively overloading them.[/quote]

MY intentions weren’t to say your advice was bad, although my comments come off that way.

But more specifically to the OP, there’s no need to do anything other than the basics at your level.

Hanley you’re just skewing my words to fit your justification. I respect your contributions to these forums and I’m a subscriber to your youtube. But I think you knew what I meant.

But a 205 bench and he’s worried about lockout? There’s no magical answer, just get in the gym and do some work and be patient.

[quote]evansmi wrote:
Blongo wrote:

Why do people always say this shit? do you actually believe he’s gonna use them all up. Like one day in the future, he’ll have speed issues that could be fixed with band work, but unfortunately a few years back, he used them all up. Too bad, shoulda saved them, now he’ll never be strong.

Bands are fun, if he wants to use them, so be it. Just because you don’t NEED something doesn’t mean you can’t do it.

I don’t NEED to be learning pistols right now, but its a fun exercise and its one of many ways to strengthen the legs, so I’m using them. Just because people have gotten stronger than I am without using pistols, doesn’t mean that I should save them for when I NEED them. They give me results, it doesn’t matter if simpler exercises would give me the same results.

Its the same thing really.[/quote]

I understand where you’re coming from and you’re right. But does this kid need to be doing anything other than the basics to raise a 205 bench? He’s just wasting time at this point where more intensity or more volume is probably the simple answer. No need to over-complicate shit.

[quote]Blongo wrote:
evansmi wrote:
Blongo wrote:

Its the same thing really.

I understand where you’re coming from and you’re right. But does this kid need to be doing anything other than the basics to raise a 205 bench? He’s just wasting time at this point where more intensity or more volume is probably the simple answer. No need to over-complicate shit.

[/quote]

If a place is consistantly my failure point. I shouldn’t work on it?

snipped because of misunderstanding

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
Blongo wrote:

But thats not sexy OR high tech![/quote]

You posted…because?

yeah man. chains are super high tech.

You are a shitstain of a human being. [/quote]

I wouldn’t take it that far. While I don’t think its WRONG to use bands, he is right in that its not necessary. Do what you want, but he was just trying to help.
Its one thing to have a differing opinion, but that doesn’t mean you can’t show some respect.

[quote]evansmi wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:

You are a shitstain of a human being.

I wouldn’t take it that far. While I don’t think its WRONG to use bands, he is right in that its not necessary. Do what you want, but he was just trying to help.
Its one thing to have a differing opinion, but that doesn’t mean you can’t show some respect.[/quote]

No, he was trying to stir shit up. Tellign someone not to work on a sticking point is ridiculous.

in a nut shell he said “you just need to bench more”.

No kidding, isn’t that what this thread was about? He was trying to show off on the net by trolling a thread. You’ll notice I’m mostly polite to people who legitimately try to help people. That was just a pointless post.

Thats a bit harsh dude, he has taken the time to try and help you out. I kind of agree with him in that if your lockout is your problem, then why not hammer some close grip pressing first? Theres no real need to use chains, but I guess if you have access to them and use them as your ME exercise then whats the harm.
If you need proof then read through Hanley’s log from the beginning- chains and bands are not key, they re just one tool among many.