Current Bodybuilding Training Thread 2.0

I’ve never experimented with contrast showers, but I can attest that massages are incredibly helpful for recovery! Especially during my prep, I get one once every 3 weeks, and towards the end as a contest approaches, every other week. Usually deep tissue. The rest of the day I usually feel wrecked, but the week after a massage always feels outstanding and noticeably better. Helps with blood flow, muscle repair, scar tissue, etc. If you’re going the massage route, I highly recommending finding a great massage therapist at a private practice (not like a Hand and Stone type place), that can get to know your body and what you need. In the off season I still get massages once a month. Aside from the muscle recovery, it’s extremely relaxing and enjoyable, very beneficial mentally and physically.

2 Likes

I’ve been experimenting a bit with contrast showers in the last few weeks. I just crank down the temp for about 30 seconds at the end. I haven’t noticed any amazing results, but things are complicated as I’m on a the velocity diet at the moment (recovery is probably lower).

I’ll do my usually shower routine as hot as I can take, then do 3-6 rounds of 30 seconds as cold as the shower goes, 1 minutes as hot as it goes. Ill do this pretty much every shower and always feel amazing after

Old school theory and application or Cold vs Heat treatments focus on either reducing inflammation, or improving blood flow. As such, (and I haven’t read any of the adcopy mind you), I have a difficult time buying into the latest trend in super cold recovery therapies.

Massage on the other hand, can be wondrous in reducing scar tissue build up, loosening tight muscle fascia, and just helping relax after an especially rough beating -lol.

S

I got one during prep from a recommendation from Alon and I couldn’t agree more with everything you said! Some of it will be painful but in a strangely enjoyable way lol Also helps with understanding what may be misfiring during training/everyday life!

I’ve recently been getting monthly massages. The massage therapist is also a sports therapist, so we often do other small things to improve mobility (ie. she has me sliding foot up to my butt and back down while trying to reach into my hip for my hip flexors - which she compared to guitar strings they are so tight…). She also found a really tight “trigger point”(?) in my one quad so she used a silicone cup on it. It was interesting, I can’t really comment much on the ‘cupping’. It didn’t bruise at all but also wasn’t uncomfortable.

Is there any pro/con to getting a massage BEFORE your workout for the day? Usually I work out in the PM and get a massage on my lunch during the week. I can easily try and schedule it for an off day if that would be preferred.

My massage therapist always recommended a massage on an off day, or at the very least, AFTER workout. A massage, especially deep tissue, incurs some muscle damage. Additionally, if the point of massage is to boost recovery, you can’t really do that if you train afterwards. I used to get one on a HIIT or cardio day after training since I had no off days in my prep. Best best would be for an off day.

1 Like

For you guys is it better a massage or a chiropractor? I enjoy some session with my chiropractor every 2 months, he always help my back to loosen up.

Small question about the front deltoid. I have pretty good lateral and rear deltoid but my front is just non-existent! I’m tall (6’ 1") and have like 80" wingspan.

I never feel it if I do benchpress (tricep and chest) or military press (almost only tricep). With dumbell shoulder press I only feel the lateral.

I have try some front raise (with a 45lbs), with dumbell (palm facing, palm pronated), I have try seated, seated inclined ect…

I try low rep, mid rep, high rep ect…

I always feel the front raise in my forearm, I never feel any burn in my front deltoid. Do you have any tips, any exercice to hit them?

Big difference between a sports massage and a run of the mill strip mall massage. I first tried a massage a zillion years ago and I didn’t even feel anything afterward,… total waste of money :confused:

S

1 Like

I do both, chiropractor once a week and massage once a month. The key for a chiropractor is to find a good one, because a bad one will wreck you and leave you worse than when you walked in! Mine is great, met him at my gym. During a prep sometimes I’ll go twice a week, but always once a week in the off season. Both chiropractor and massage are outstanding for recovery and longevity.

Less weight and longer, more controlled negatives pretty much ALWAYS does the trick.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply Rob! I had a feeling this was the case as I did do a deadlift workout after my massage and a lot of my muscles were trying to cramp up on me during the sets. Then I had a ‘duh’ moment, and started attributing it to the earlier massage. I just wanted to confirm that I wasn’t just making that up.

I feel like this specific massage location is pretty good. They typically take 10-15mins post massage to go through a series of movements with me that they feel will loosen up the muscles that they found to be tightest on me. They are very friendly, and seem to be quite knowledgeable (or I’m gullible…not ruling this one out).

Thanks guys.

1 Like

Sometimes the general massage chains certainly can do a good job. But, when finding a massage therapist at a private practice, it’s a game changer. Kind of like hiring a solid personal trainer at a gym, vs a seasoned pro or coach, it’s just another level.

Do I need to keep my arm extended or I need to bend the elbow? Palm in? Pronated?

Many thanks;)

1 Like

Assuming you’re talking about front raises specifically, try them all and see what works for you. Personally, I never keep my arm fully extended/locked out because it puts too much pressure on my elbow and doesn’t feel great. I have a slight bend in my arm pronated grip with dumbbells. But, I’ve also tried barbell front raises (supinated obviously) with slow negatives and that was great for a good pump in the front delts. I’ve also done seated incline front raises with dumbbells, neutral grip, another burner! Most people go WAY too heavy with shoulder work, front and lateral raises specifically. The delts are small muscles and don’t take a ton of weight, and will respond well to targeted tension and longer time under tension, so make sure you’re using a weight that allows complete control and a 2-3 second negative.

1 Like

Okay, give this as try, and I guarantee you’ll feel that front delt:

-Seated DB front raises with your PALMS UP! Keep a slight bend in your elbow, and keep the weight relatively light. With a pause at the top before slowly lowering the weight, choose a dumbell that lets you WORK to get 10-15 reps.

-Shoot for a good 5 sets, resting between them as long as you need to keep the weights steady and remain in the rep range

-Seated DB Presses, WITHOUT LOCKING OUT YOUR ELBOWS at the top of the movement. This DOES NOT mean that you only do the top part of the ROM, rather, I want you to do the BOTTOM ROM (about 2/3) without a pause at the bottom, and a slow, focused eccentric on each repetition. Choose a weight that allows you to get 6-8 reps per set, and knock out 5 sets, again resting as long as needed.

-Wake up next morning and curse Stu under your breath, but thank him online :wink:

S

4 Likes

Thanks I will try this thursday! Small question:

I stop parallel to the ground?

Or a few inches higher to get a feel that real tight squeeze in the front head.

S

1 Like

It worked on me, though with side raises. :+1:

I’d rather do the thing where I curse your name privately,but then forget to ever mention you online while telling everyone about the methods you taught me.

You’d be in a pretty big company of people, on IG, FB, even on here -lol

S