Curls in Power Rack Dethroned

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:
I hate it when people walk next to my bar as I’m trying to squat or deadlift. I’m waiting for them to bump into it and destroy my back. I actually had one kid leaning against my racked bar when I was squatting, I had to ask him to please lean elsewhere.

I had one of the gym’s personal trainers and his two clients walk on the oly platform right in front of me while I was doing barbell snatches. That was my last day at the gym.

You should have ‘accidentally’ let got of the bar.

I was doing deadlifts one time and in-between sets I went to get some water. When I came back, I noticed that a 25 was missing from one side of the bar. The personal trainer sees me looking at the bar and goes, “Oh I’m sorry, I didn’t realize you were using that.”[/quote]

I gave it some serious thought.

This thread has jogged my memory a bit from my gym days(I don’t miss 'em). I remember finishing up a set of squats and this random guy walking over to me, pointing at my HOT-ROX water bottle and saying:“That stuff doesn’t work.” and just walking away. Ok, thanks for the tip.

I also had the pleasure of watching a guy do what have must been his first squats ever. He set the bar up for his height and didn’t move the safetys which were very high for some reason. He steps into the cage, unracks the bar and then drops down into the hole with some serious force. Unfortunately the bar stops on the safetys about half way down and he kept going. I just hope he didn’t totally give up after that little mishap.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
SSC wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:
I hate it when people walk next to my bar as I’m trying to squat or deadlift. I’m waiting for them to bump into it and destroy my back. I actually had one kid leaning against my racked bar when I was squatting, I had to ask him to please lean elsewhere.

I once hit a guy with the weight peg on a leg press. Despite me being in the middle of a set, he though it would be a good idea to come over and start grabbing 45’s off the bottom of the machine. I guess he was in too much of a rush to wait until I was done with my set. He looked at me like I was the asshole in that situation.

Spooky, that exact same thing literally happened to me last week. Not only did he give me a dirty look, but when he first realized I was MID-SET he had the most surprised look on his face.

I know! My reaction was along the lines of, “What am I fucking invisible here?!” How do you completely fail to notice that someone is in the middle of doing a set?[/quote]

I would imagine you stick out like a sore thumb. I’ve only seen a handful of guys who workout in helmets and black capes.

Today I saw

A guy doing dumbbell curls in the power rack.

A guy holding up a 25lb plate and turning it side to side like a steering wheel.

Today I did curls on the deadlifting platform, and i used chalk! Before I get shit on:

• nobody was in the lifting room
  • I was using the “el gordo” fat bar from eliteFTS
  • 3 sets of 7 reps with 95lbs.

It was kind of like a dirty/forbidden pleasure. Made sure nobody was in the room… I also took off my large t-shirt and finished the sets in my wifebeater

One time I using the squat rack to do bb lunges, and in between sets I was standing next to the rack, when some old guy walked up with a mat from the core training (which is on the other side of the gym), sets the mat down in the squat rack, puts his feet under the frame, and starts to do situps. I gave him “the look” while he was doing his situps, and he got the point, picked up his mat and moved somewhere else.

[quote]ab_power wrote:
Today I did curls on the deadlifting platform, and i used chalk! Before I get shit on:

It was kind of like a dirty/forbidden pleasure. Made sure nobody was in the room… I also took off my large t-shirt and finished the sets in my wifebeater[/quote]

With an avatar like that, you could… What was I saying?

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
AngryVader wrote:

I would imagine you stick out like a sore thumb. I’ve only seen a handful of guys who workout in helmets and black capes.

[/quote]

I wonder if that would work, it could be genius. I know I’m not asking to work in with Vader, no matter what he’s doing in the squat rack. Think of it, a totally interruption free workout.

[quote]Mad_Duck wrote:
Think of it, a totally interruption free workout.[/quote]

I get that by peeing my pants.

I was doing bench on a Monday(I fucking hate bench on Monday b/c its everyone GD bench day) and this older guy comes in and just kinda stands around the bench that im on looks at me then starts looking around. He sets down his water jug and goes and gets a mat, lays it out and props his feet up on one of the other benches and starts doing crunches.

I can tell he is waiting to use the bench that Im on, even though there are 3 other open benches(including the one he is using for situps). So I take my sweet ass time, I add a few reps to each set and add 2 or 3 more sets just to fuck with him. As soon as im done he jumps up and gets on the bench.

Really guy?

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
Mad_Duck wrote:
Think of it, a totally interruption free workout.

I get that by peeing my pants.[/quote]

LOL
I think Ian King mentioned something like that once, on the leg of the power cage. but being a guy the, ahem ‘aiming’ function is probably easier.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
Mad_Duck wrote:
Think of it, a totally interruption free workout.

I get that by peeing my pants.[/quote]

Classy

[quote]ukrainian wrote:
ab_power wrote:

It was kind of like a dirty/forbidden pleasure. Made sure nobody was in the room… I also took off my large t-shirt and finished the sets in my wifebeater

With an avatar like that, you could… What was I saying?[/quote]

Yeah… who is that???

These are all very good stories. I have a few of my own and have shared them on here before, but one immediately just came to mind that my old boss at the gym told me a few months ago.

He used to live out in Cali and was actually training people at the Gold’s in Venice Beach for awhile. Anyway, this little gem comes from that time.

He said some kid walked in, signed up for a membership, and as such, they gave him the usual training schpiel. He said he had never worked out before (said the guy was about 5’10, maybe 120 lbs…just a walking stick basically) but that he didn’t need a trainer as he had gotten a great program out of a friends magazine and was ready to begin.

He immediately ventures towards the squat rack, where he begins to load plates on. Like, a LOT of plates for a guy his size. They warn him it is WAY too much. He says he’ll be okay.Having never worked out before, he finally gets ready and gets underneat this 495 lbs bar, where he proceeds to unrack it, unlock his knees to step back, and completely crumples to the floor. The pins were NOT set at all. Luckily,the bar falls backwards, and he avoids certain death.

He unloads the bar, puts it back in place, doesn’t bother with the pins, and begins RELOADING THE BAR. However, this time, HE ADDS A PLATE TO EACH SIDE! He now steps under this 585 lbs bar, unracks it with a LOT of trouble. So much, that it is bending him over, and he goes down like a load of the bricks, this time with him landing almost in a sitting position but with on leg BEHIND him, and the bar coming down directly on top. He screams bloody murder, and is taken away ten minutes later in an ambulance, never to return.

I cannot verify this story is true, as I did not see it, but my boss has a lot of crazy stories I didn’t really believe, and sure as shit every single one has wound up being verified, some by people who were in the same time/place but didn’t actually know him, so I’m betting this one is as well. This guys whole workout career lasted a total of two 1/20th of a rep squats.

At least he was a jackass the the right way and did it all proper like. Short and sweet.

Also, to the guy who mentioned the guy rowing on the HS Leg Press, did he yell “UNCONVENTIONAL!!!” as he did it?

LOL, I hope someone gets that.

Kubo

[quote]MikeKubo wrote:
These are all very good stories. I have a few of my own and have shared them on here before, but one immediately just came to mind that my old boss at the gym told me a few months ago.

He used to live out in Cali and was actually training people at the Gold’s in Venice Beach for awhile. Anyway, this little gem comes from that time.

He said some kid walked in, signed up for a membership, and as such, they gave him the usual training schpiel. He said he had never worked out before (said the guy was about 5’10, maybe 120 lbs…just a walking stick basically) but that he didn’t need a trainer as he had gotten a great program out of a friends magazine and was ready to begin.

He immediately ventures towards the squat rack, where he begins to load plates on. Like, a LOT of plates for a guy his size. They warn him it is WAY too much. He says he’ll be okay.Having never worked out before, he finally gets ready and gets underneat this 495 lbs bar, where he proceeds to unrack it, unlock his knees to step back, and completely crumples to the floor. The pins were NOT set at all. Luckily,the bar falls backwards, and he avoids certain death.

He unloads the bar, puts it back in place, doesn’t bother with the pins, and begins RELOADING THE BAR. However, this time, HE ADDS A PLATE TO EACH SIDE! He now steps under this 585 lbs bar, unracks it with a LOT of trouble. So much, that it is bending him over, and he goes down like a load of the bricks, this time with him landing almost in a sitting position but with on leg BEHIND him, and the bar coming down directly on top. He screams bloody murder, and is taken away ten minutes later in an ambulance, never to return.

I cannot verify this story is true, as I did not see it, but my boss has a lot of crazy stories I didn’t really believe, and sure as shit every single one has wound up being verified, some by people who were in the same time/place but didn’t actually know him, so I’m betting this one is as well. This guys whole workout career lasted a total of two 1/20th of a rep squats.

At least he was a jackass the the right way and did it all proper like. Short and sweet.

Also, to the guy who mentioned the guy rowing on the HS Leg Press, did he yell “UNCONVENTIONAL!!!” as he did it?

LOL, I hope someone gets that.

Kubo[/quote]

LoL that is funny as hell and it really isnt that hard to believe.

But speaking of yelling stuff, just for shits and giggles when ever Im about to do a really heavy lift like leg press, Squats and so on I do like to yell “YEAH BABBY! LITE WEIGHT, LITE WEIGHT!!” O that makes me laugh.

does anyone else crap their pants when they leg press?

[quote]actionjeff wrote:
does anyone else crap their pants when they leg press? [/quote]

That can usually be avoided by taking a shit before you go to the gym.

[quote]JoeG254 wrote:
Today I saw

A guy holding up a 25lb plate and turning it side to side like a steering wheel.[/quote]

I see that a lot. I never quite figured out what the hell they were doing, but I’ve seen it enough that I forgot it was weird. Maybe a warmup movement? I hope?

[quote]B rocK wrote:

It came close a few times; but after his ONE set he was done.

ONE SET

lol

dick[/quote]

It’s a good thing you didn’t mess with him. He could have been a Jedi

[quote]eigieinhamr wrote:

It’s a good thing you didn’t mess with him. He could have been a Jedi
[/quote]

LOL. Well played sir, well played. :slight_smile:

My roomate in college once sharted while bench pressing, funny as hell.