T Nation

Curls in Power Rack Dethroned

The number one most annoying feat in the gym, curls in the power rack, has officially been dethroned. Our gym got a brand new olympic lifting platform, with a complete set of bumper plates. Now i can do full out O-training.

However, the other evening, a young man and his girlfriend(obviously not weightlifters) spent a good 30 minutes doing pilate stretches on the platform…no lifting, not warming up for lifting…just f*!#ing pilate stretches and then they left the gym. I wanted to get pissed, but it was too damn funny. It’s kind of like my cat sleeping in my gym bag…hes not sure what its used for, so he does whatever he feels!

Back when my gym used to have an olympic lifting platform, I used to cringe at the stupid shit I’d see people use it for.

And I’ve seen people doing curls on the olympic lifting platform…with just the bar.

I’ve kicked a few people off of it though. They usually know they don’t have any business on it, so they go quietly.

[quote]nolecat wrote:
The number one most annoying feat in the gym, curls in the power rack, has officially been dethroned. Our gym got a brand new olympic lifting platform, with a complete set of bumper plates. Now i can do full out O-training.

However, the other evening, a young man and his girlfriend(obviously not weightlifters) spent a good 30 minutes doing pilate stretches on the platform…no lifting, not warming up for lifting…just f*!#ing pilate stretches and then they left the gym. I wanted to get pissed, but it was too damn funny. It’s kind of like my cat sleeping in my gym bag…hes not sure what its used for, so he does whatever he feels! [/quote]

That is when you politely walk up to them and tell them you are going to start lifting and tell them to move to an other place to stretch. If they see you racking weight on a bar they will get the message that shit is going to start flying soon.

Nothing is more annoying that setting up your weights only to have someone start doing crunches and push-ups 20 cm from where the weight is going to land. The idea that I might accidentally kill an idiot scares me.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

That is when you politely walk up to them and tell them you are going to start lifting and tell them to move to an other place to stretch. If they see you racking weight on a bar they will get the message that shit is going to start flying soon.
[/quote]

x2.

I’m not sure why people on these boards are (generally) such pussies about approaching people in circumstances like these. I’ve politely asked people to move MANY times at my gym, and they’ve done it…every time.

It’s actually a whole lot easier to do that, than to alter your training for the day, and come here and report about how pissed you were. And that you did absolutely nothing about it.

I hate it when people walk next to my bar as I’m trying to squat or deadlift. I’m waiting for them to bump into it and destroy my back. I actually had one kid leaning against my racked bar when I was squatting, I had to ask him to please lean elsewhere.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
I hate it when people walk next to my bar as I’m trying to squat or deadlift. I’m waiting for them to bump into it and destroy my back. I actually had one kid leaning against my racked bar when I was squatting, I had to ask him to please lean elsewhere.[/quote]

I once hit a guy with the weight peg on a leg press. Despite me being in the middle of a set, he though it would be a good idea to come over and start grabbing 45’s off the bottom of the machine. I guess he was in too much of a rush to wait until I was done with my set. He looked at me like I was the asshole in that situation.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
And I’ve seen people doing curls on the olympic lifting platform…with just the bar.
[/quote]
Yeah, there were two kids doing that in my gym yesterday. We have a perfectly good rack of straight bars too.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
I hate it when people walk next to my bar as I’m trying to squat or deadlift. I’m waiting for them to bump into it and destroy my back. I actually had one kid leaning against my racked bar when I was squatting, I had to ask him to please lean elsewhere.[/quote]

I had one of the gym’s personal trainers and his two clients walk on the oly platform right in front of me while I was doing barbell snatches. That was my last day at the gym.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:
I hate it when people walk next to my bar as I’m trying to squat or deadlift. I’m waiting for them to bump into it and destroy my back. I actually had one kid leaning against my racked bar when I was squatting, I had to ask him to please lean elsewhere.

I had one of the gym’s personal trainers and his two clients walk on the oly platform right in front of me while I was doing barbell snatches. That was my last day at the gym.

[/quote]

You should have ‘accidentally’ let got of the bar.

I was doing deadlifts one time and in-between sets I went to get some water. When I came back, I noticed that a 25 was missing from one side of the bar. The personal trainer sees me looking at the bar and goes, “Oh I’m sorry, I didn’t realize you were using that.”

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:
I hate it when people walk next to my bar as I’m trying to squat or deadlift. I’m waiting for them to bump into it and destroy my back. I actually had one kid leaning against my racked bar when I was squatting, I had to ask him to please lean elsewhere.

I once hit a guy with the weight peg on a leg press. Despite me being in the middle of a set, he though it would be a good idea to come over and start grabbing 45’s off the bottom of the machine. I guess he was in too much of a rush to wait until I was done with my set. He looked at me like I was the asshole in that situation.[/quote]

Spooky, that exact same thing literally happened to me last week. Not only did he give me a dirty look, but when he first realized I was MID-SET he had the most surprised look on his face.

I saw a guy doing back rows with the hammer strength leg press this past Saturday.

He got on the opposite side from the seat and pulled the bar up.

Now that was something I would’ve never thought of.

That has my award for stupidest use of equipment so far.

[quote]SSC wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:
I hate it when people walk next to my bar as I’m trying to squat or deadlift. I’m waiting for them to bump into it and destroy my back. I actually had one kid leaning against my racked bar when I was squatting, I had to ask him to please lean elsewhere.

I once hit a guy with the weight peg on a leg press. Despite me being in the middle of a set, he though it would be a good idea to come over and start grabbing 45’s off the bottom of the machine. I guess he was in too much of a rush to wait until I was done with my set. He looked at me like I was the asshole in that situation.

Spooky, that exact same thing literally happened to me last week. Not only did he give me a dirty look, but when he first realized I was MID-SET he had the most surprised look on his face.[/quote]

I know! My reaction was along the lines of, “What am I fucking invisible here?!” How do you completely fail to notice that someone is in the middle of doing a set?

I read these threads and then I thank God I either work out at home or at the local HS weight room after work when no one but maybe a coach or two is up there.

No crowds, no lines, no frat curls.

At my gym we have a full and a half squat rack pretty close; too close to be dicking about with weight whilst someone is in the middle of doing something.

I was doing front squats and the kid on the 1/2 rack was walking about the whole time setting the rack up for some curls.

I didn’t stop; I had enough weight and he was small enough, I figured if I hit him…the momentum I had would knock him down without really effecting my workout much.

It came close a few times; but after his ONE set he was done.

ONE SET

lol

dick

I remember when I was visiting this one gym they had a oly platform that was elevated and in the center of the gym. So I show up and there were three kids I guess 15 or so doing curls using the weight jack(the device that picks up the bar so you can load it for dls and such)just curling away screaming so everyone in the gym knew that they were weak fucks curling a double dime on an ez for cheat curls.

Though I think the worst thing I have seen is this branch warren want to be that throws the weights all over the place in my schools 15 ft by 30 ft gym. He has now bent two sets of dumbbells and a curl bar. He will do shoulder press and scream and grunt then slam the weight on the safety bars. He will throw the dumbbells from shoulder height shit like that. What makes it funnier is that I was band for using chalk and “leaving a mess on the bars.” THis guys destroys equipment and they don’t do shit

hmm

Ive heard a jackass trainer telling a client they shouldnt eat before working out and that they should only do cardio in the gym no matter what!

Ive seen guys doing 1/8 rom squats on the smith machine with a spot (125lbs) . I see one kid whos all arms use the rack for every arm exercise there is. The only guy who was doing squats and dls…started doing leg raises in the rack. I see people leave weight on the bars when there are signs every five feet saying rack the weights or your out.

[quote]Mister T. wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

That is when you politely walk up to them and tell them you are going to start lifting and tell them to move to an other place to stretch. If they see you racking weight on a bar they will get the message that shit is going to start flying soon.

x2.

I’m not sure why people on these boards are (generally) such pussies about approaching people in circumstances like these. I’ve politely asked people to move MANY times at my gym, and they’ve done it…every time.

It’s actually a whole lot easier to do that, than to alter your training for the day, and come here and report about how pissed you were. And that you did absolutely nothing about it.[/quote]

I agree, don’t get me wrong. I wasn’t pissed,though. I was actually doing front squats in the rack at the time. Trust me, if i needed the platform i would have politely asked them to move. I just thought it was a funny sight…and a funny story. That’s why most people share these sotries…not because they’re pissed, but because they are sharing a bit of gym humor with us.

[quote]50_Caliber wrote:
I saw a guy doing back rows with the hammer strength leg press this past Saturday.

He got on the opposite side from the seat and pulled the bar up.

Now that was something I would’ve never thought of.

That has my award for stupidest use of equipment so far.[/quote]

Damn, I just got one-upped. That is amazing. I think that takes the throne. Promise me next time you see this to record it…i have to see that!!!

None of this suprises me

A trainer in my gym once tapped me on the shoulder whilst i was in the middle of a set of weighted dips.

It would have annoyed me, but i was mainly just relieved he only wanted to know where i got my dipping belt (I was worried he was going to tell me i was using too much weight for the bars)

Still, how do people not realise stuff like this is stupid

[quote]AllerCuzine wrote:
I remember when I was visiting this one gym they had a oly platform that was elevated and in the center of the gym. So I show up and there were three kids I guess 15 or so doing curls using the weight jack(the device that picks up the bar so you can load it for dls and such)just curling away screaming so everyone in the gym knew that they were weak fucks curling a double dime on an ez for cheat curls.

Though I think the worst thing I have seen is this branch warren want to be that throws the weights all over the place in my schools 15 ft by 30 ft gym. He has now bent two sets of dumbbells and a curl bar. He will do shoulder press and scream and grunt then slam the weight on the safety bars. He will throw the dumbbells from shoulder height shit like that. What makes it funnier is that I was band for using chalk and “leaving a mess on the bars.” THis guys destroys equipment and they don’t do shit[/quote]

The one good thing i can say about the last gym i belonged to was they had a zero tolerance policy towards that shit. They didn’t care if you screamed or grunted if you were moving real weight, but they’d tell the exaggerators to please quiet down. And if anyone threw the weights, their membership ended and they had to pay for the damage, or deal with the police for vandalism.