T Nation

Curls Gone Wild

old thread here:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
Great pulling! Both lifts looked legal to me. What did you weigh in at?
[/quote]

I weighed 196. Which is why I was a little surprised that I couldn’t pull more. Time to rotate in the Anderson squats again.

[quote] SteelyD wrote:
Nice pulls, man. Just awesome!!!
[/quote]

Thanks SteelyD. 55lbs meet PR. Onwards and upwards…

[quote]kmcnyc wrote:
Great way to pull 500!

nice work Tony.
[/quote]

Thanks K-mac. I think you’ll find out this weekend that 8lbs weighs a bit more than that. :slight_smile:

Fantastic job! Looked great to me!

That 500 pull was great.

Great way to ring in the new log.

A 2.5x body weight pull is nothing to sneeze at. That is a big accomplishment. Great work.

Beastly pulling. Congratulations

Freaking hell man. Big pulling…

Great pulling Tony. You made that look easy as hell!

Thanks all. It was weird how fast 500 came up but 525 didn’t budge.

2010-2-13
Cycle 2, Week 1, Day 1
Military Press
bar x 15
100x5
114x5
131x5
149x11 (est max 203.58 - PR +3.43lbs)

BBB MP
105 10x5 sets

Chins tomorrow.

I thought I was getting my head through on presses before this, but tonight I actually did it. As the bar gets past my head I rotate my elbows outward which forces my body under the bar and I can press with more force. The sets of ten were much easier than last cycle as a result. It engages the long head of the triceps more and with more stability. I expect my upper middle back is going to be sore along with the spinatus muscles on the shoulder blades. Good stuff

2010-2-14
Chins (varying grip widths)
BW+35x8
BW+10 8x4 sets

Congrats on that big pull!

Finally catching up. Excellent deadlift for the VM. I wonder what the percent of people is who can do a 2.5 x bw anything. Your pressing is moving up, too. Have you tried doing any full clean and jerks? With your zercher strength and the way your pressing is coming on you could probably get some good numbers.

[quote]hel320 wrote:
Finally catching up. Excellent deadlift for the VM. I wonder what the percent of people is who can do a 2.5 x bw anything. Your pressing is moving up, too. Have you tried doing any full clean and jerks? With your zercher strength and the way your pressing is coming on you could probably get some good numbers.[/quote]

Thanks Hel.

I think that if I got my front squat up and worked technique on the clean/clean recovery, I could clean and jerk 250. I just won’t go down to meet the bar on the clean or split too deeply on the jerk. All my cleans are caught nearly straight legged.

I base this on being able to high clean pull 280 to my chest, press 260+ from 4 inches above my head and front squat 290 from dead start at depth. Add the ballistic components of the clean and jerk and it brings the weight down a bit. But it should be possible for me. I would need to get my confidence/ability up on technique. I’m looking at getting another couple of bumper plates and a crap bar that I won’t mind dropping from arm’s length to see what’s possible.

virtualmeet.net has Oly lifting comps as well as single lift and powerlifting competitions. I think Oly lifting would be a blast.

[quote]mjnewland wrote:
Congrats on that big pull!
[/quote]

Thanks MJ. It’d be nice to put a new meet PR in the books once the judges pass it.

2010-2-15

Cycle 2, Week 1, Day 2

Sumo DL
135x8
225x5
286x5
331x5
374x5

BBB Sumo
250 10x5 sets

BB Cleans from high hang
145 6x3 sets

Pull down Abs
90x15
110x14,10

Back is still tired from Friday just did prescribed reps.

Nice work on the pulls on Friday.

late to the party - but 'grats on the big pull, it’ll pass.

Nice pull Tony. Nothing wrong with doing the prescribed reps. Esp when the low back is already tired.

Thanks guys.

Eco - I’m putting lower body stuff on the back burner and just hitting prescribed reps there. I’m pretty sure the assistance work will keep things moving up. I want to push bench and overhead since I haven’t yet hit my goals there. I’ve popped the 500 dead and done as-good-as a 400 squat. Time to go after the 200 overhead press and the 300 bench.