Curls for PL'ing

[quote]bulletproof_ wrote:

I’ve been having tons of problem with my bench because when I get the bar down to around 3-4 inches off my chest (arms have a 90 degree bend), I almost dump the weight. I can’t keep it under control. Do you think this is bicep weakness? Which curl variety would be best to strengthen this?
[/quote]
If you are losing control that close to the chest I would say its a lat weakness. The biceps come into play controlling the bar on the way down but at that point the lats are doing a lot of the work.
Also, are you tucking your elbows on the way down? If you are allowing your elbows to flare out on the way down you lose a lot of leverage. I find that tucking the elbows and bring the bar to the zyphoid process and then flaring them on the press has increased my bench tremendeously

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
bulletproof_ wrote:

I’ve been having tons of problem with my bench because when I get the bar down to around 3-4 inches off my chest (arms have a 90 degree bend), I almost dump the weight. I can’t keep it under control. Do you think this is bicep weakness? Which curl variety would be best to strengthen this?

If you are losing control that close to the chest I would say its a lat weakness. The biceps come into play controlling the bar on the way down but at that point the lats are doing a lot of the work.
Also, are you tucking your elbows on the way down? If you are allowing your elbows to flare out on the way down you lose a lot of leverage. I find that tucking the elbows and bring the bar to the zyphoid process and then flaring them on the press has increased my bench tremendeously
[/quote]

Yes I am tucking, but on the way down, I feel a weakness in the area of my biceps and front delts. I seriously doubt I have weak lats. I have done weighted supinated grip chins with 130 pounds and can row 125 pounds for 4 sets of 10, this is at a bodyweight of 220. Yet, I have never benched over 300.

My guess is that it’s a form issue. It’s difficult to tell without a video, but my guess would be that your aren’t lining up your wrists/elbows, you aren’t staying tight, or you aren’t keeping a tight groove.

[quote]bulletproof_ wrote:
maraudermeat wrote:
bulletproof_ wrote:

Yes I am tucking, but on the way down, I feel a weakness in the area of my biceps and front delts. I seriously doubt I have weak lats. I have done weighted supinated grip chins with 130 pounds and can row 125 pounds for 4 sets of 10, this is at a bodyweight of 220. Yet, I have never benched over 300.
[/quote]

video tape it and then we will figure out what is wrong…
meat