Curling More Than I Can Squat

heh… i’m surprised nobody made a joke about wearing a belt to do curls yet.

wtf do these guys eat?

or is the belt part of his “shorts”? Idon’t got one of these so I don’t know

One of my fellow highland games competitors can straight bar curl 315 for sets of 5, so I am guessing a world class strong man would have no trouble with that.

[quote]cancer wrote:
wtf do these guys eat?[/quote]

Steroids? I’m pretty sure they don’t do drug testing in the WSM.

Apparently Samuellson’s arms measure almost 25 inches!

This is hella weak. I have a nordic background and all I got was pale skin.

[quote]acostine wrote:
cokeandtaco wrote:
that guy used to work out at my gym. he was always bogarting the squat rack doing his little pansy-ass curls…

LOL!!!
[/quote]

If I saw someone like that doing curls in a power rack I wouldn’t do shit!
I’d leave the man alone

There is no drug testing in Europe but there might be in the States. One of the alledged reasons Europeans kick our asses in Strongman.

I saw Kaz with my very own eyes curl 315 for 15 reps…someone asked him about his max and he chuckled and said who maxes a curl…it wasn’t super easy but he had more in him…Manfred Hoeberl has said he curled 440 and I believe he could…before his car accident he nearly won a very tough Strongest Man…he lost by 7/10ths of a second…he closes a #3 in either hand for reps and was simply rediculous strong…And a Huge deadlift for a tall guy maing him quite better in an all around sense over Magnus Samuelson…

From what ive heard from ironmind and random other mags and forums, thats in the neighborhood of 400, it is cheat curling with momentum, but in all honesty, who gives a F#%% Magnus is nuts, he’s closed a #4 Coc gripper (does it regularly according to him, and closes a 3 with his left) and won the worlds strongest man, not to mention breaking nathan jones arm in armwrestling at the wsm, dudes a freak. THat and according to ironmind news on August 17, 2005, he benched 280 kg raw (617lbs). He has pulled at least 330 kg in deadlift (727 lbs) cuz thats what he pulled on eleiko bar at sweden grand prix 2004. Hes crazy, nuff said.

I have seen him curl 140kilos for reps on video.

It’s no photoshop. Magnus has some of the strongest hands and arms in the world.

my question, why would a strongman be doing isolation exercises?

Some of the posts in this thread are making my head explode.

[quote]Babalu wrote:
my question, why would a strongman be doing isolation exercises?[/quote]

1. isolation exercises dont exist.
  2. ever watch WSM? they do some ‘isolation’ stuff sometimes. im thinking you could say ‘hercules holds’ are ‘isolation.’
  3. curls are cool and good for ‘core’ stability, elbow flexors, and wrist flexors. all of which are good for strongman.

[quote]Babalu wrote:
my question, why would a strongman be doing isolation exercises?[/quote]

Um, I wanted to ignore that, but I can’t. Since when is a power curl an isolation exercise? And why do you seem to think that doing curls would be useless for a strongman? They need very strong biceps, you know. And why do you think you know better than Magnus Samuelsson? There are accounts of him curling 400 lbs, and you’re wondering why he’s isolating his biceps? I guarantee, once you’re moving that much weight, there’s no isolation involved.

The first time I saw this picture was a few months befor magnus tore his bicep tendon in the WSM in Malaysia (sp?). He is one strong mo’fo, and more than likly he was doing curls Because it helps to have strong arms when lifting stones.
Will42

what I think is amazing is that he’s still not in a power rack or squat rack while doing these!

[quote]wufwugy wrote:
Babalu wrote:

2. ever watch WSM? they do some ‘isolation’ stuff sometimes. im thinking you could say ‘hercules holds’ are ‘isolation.’
  3. curls are cool and good for ‘core’ stability, elbow flexors, and wrist flexors. all of which are good for strongman.[/quote]
    If there is no such thing as isolation exercises, what do you call gay shit like tricep kickbacks, machine curls, flies and all that other bullshit…

[quote]Babalu wrote:
wufwugy wrote:
Babalu wrote:

3. curls are cool and good for ‘core’ stability, elbow flexors, and wrist flexors. all of which are good for strongman.
    If there is no such thing as isolation exercises, what do you call gay shit like tricep kickbacks, machine curls, flies and all that other bullshit…
    [/quote]

for the most part, i call them all stupid. but they’re not isolation. they’re not even single joint. yes, one joint moves, but others hold isometrically. if i wanted to pick hairs then i’d say that the triceps are made of more than one muscle that are all recruited during tricep kickbacks and the distinctions that is made via ‘triceps’ is nomenclature and doesn’t amount to ‘muscle isolation.’

some say that isolation is joint isolation, but even that is wrong due to other joints holding isometrically. machine stuff can be closer to ‘isolation’ than free weight or especially standing free weight stuff.

is grip isolation? if so, try to squeeze something without tensing half your body.