T Nation

Curling More Than I Can Squat

http://www.magnus-samuelsson.net/en/default.asp?view=images&ViewImage=training/Training_03.jpg

WTF???

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1107658409809.curl.jpg

Might as well just post the picture.

yep. I used to watch these guys in the Worlds Strongest Man competitions. This guy was allways a frontrunner. Alot of these Nordic viking guts were absolute beasts. The comps. were usualy televised on sunday afternoons on ESPN or one of those sports channels.

photoshop

I’m no expert on bumper plates, but it looks like he’s curling around 220. That’s a lot of weight, but I don’t think it’s impossible.

But I could be wrong.

With bumper plates the large ones arent necasserily 45pounds, they can be as low as 20…
I would agree that a 405lb is beyond my belief tolerance… but this could be as low as 200 I guess…

[quote]oboffill wrote:
photoshop[/quote]

Troll?

That’s one of the last people in world who needs to photoshop pics to impress people.

Keep in mind those are pretty obviously bumper plates… So needless to say he’s curling a lot less than “4 plates”. Hell that could be ~135lbs. if those are all 5kg bumpers, although I’m sure Magnuss curls more than that. I’m guessing it’s 2 5s and 6 10s, or about 200lbs, but you really can’t tell. Too bad the plates aren’t color-coded.

Nick

That strong dude is from my country sweden and im so proud of him!

Okay, so these are bumper plates so we can’t really know the weight. But let’s speculate what Magnus could cheat curl/ power curl.
Couldn’t Arnold cheat curl around 275 at a weight of around 240? Magnus must weigh in the low 300s and while it is possible Arnold could strict-curl more Magnus is clearly stronger in the back, legs, etc.
A lot of throwers (discus etc.) swear by the power curl as a core exercise. If any throwers out there could supply their ratios of power curl to, say, power clean we could get a closer idea to what Magnus might be able to do.

Did anyone think that it was a power clean with supinated grip (don’t ask me why you’d do that).

To me it looks like 160kgs (350pnds). My brain just can’t comprehend that someone could curl or even cheat curl. Heck I don’t even deadlift that (yet)!

[quote]Sxio wrote:
Did anyone think that it was a power clean with supinated grip (don’t ask me why you’d do that).

To me it looks like 160kgs (350pnds). My brain just can’t comprehend that someone could curl or even cheat curl. Heck I don’t even deadlift that (yet)![/quote]

It seems entirely reasonable to me that he could cheat curl/clean with a supinated grip 350 pounds given what he does in strongman competition.

Dumb question perhaps but is a power curl same as a cheat curl. Pics/instructions would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I remember reading somewhere that Lee Priest can dumbell curl 200lber’s could be bullshit but looking at the length and size of his arms maybe not.

A friend of mine has a photo of Bill Kazmaier, former strongman competitor and now anouncer, doing a one handed curl with about 220.
Believe it, these guys are brutaly strong with complex moves.

I have friends who can DB curl 120s. Its a little sloppy, but it gets done. Magnus is 100lbs heavier than my friends, so nothing would suprise me too much. Those plates are thick though. Bumper or not they probably have some serious weight to them. Gah Damn.

that guy used to work out at my gym. he was always bogarting the squat rack doing his little pansy-ass curls…

[quote]mindeffer01 wrote:
A friend of mine has a photo of Bill Kazmaier, former strongman competitor and now anouncer, doing a one handed curl with about 220.
Believe it, these guys are brutaly strong with complex moves.[/quote]

i heard kaz cheat curled 320? for 15? reps. something like that. it’s possible cuz it’s kaz:)

I remember seeing the BFS poster boy Stefan Fernholm “clean curl” 385 or so in a video. Also check out Dan John’s site for an explanation…

[quote]cokeandtaco wrote:
that guy used to work out at my gym. he was always bogarting the squat rack doing his little pansy-ass curls…[/quote]

LOL!!!

[quote]The_Incubator wrote:
oboffill wrote:
photoshop

Troll?

That’s one of the last people in world who needs to photoshop pics to impress people.

Nick[/quote]

It was a jokey-joke.

I have mad respect for Magnus and the rest of the strongmen. I get a woody everytime the comp is on ESPN.

Those look like the cheaper (less expensive) bumper plates we used to use. I think those are 25lb plates, not 45’s. Prolly more 245lbs! If they were 45 lb plates they would most likely stack up to the end of the bar.