Curling in the Power Racks OK!

its not ok if there is somebody who needs it for something that cant be done anywhere else. This happened to me on saturday. A guy was doing knee raises in the power rack. I asked him if he could do them at the pullup station and he got pissed at me. I told him not to get mad because he could do those anywhere. He walked off in a huff but i got the rack.

Curling in the squat rack is no crime in and of itself. Occupying a piece of equipment for something that could be done anywhere when people are waiting on the equipment for purposes that can only be satisfied there is rude as hell.

Only helping other people out when you have to is shitty. Looking out for the needs of others makes you a decent human being.

Bullshit - who says your needs are greater than the guy curling or doing knee raises for that matter. He got to the rack first, he paid his money same as you. Go do something else for ten minutes while he finishes.

Flame me all you want (And I know you will :), but if you want the exclusive rights to use a power rack, buy one of your own and work out at home.

That being said, I see nothing wrong with asking a guy to move to another station where he could do his work out. But if he says no then your just gonna have to wait or make a big deal out of a little matter.

Phatman - I think if most people are kindly asked to move to a different location and given a logical reason to do so, they’ll move.

Saying, “Why don’t you do your curls elsewhere?” might result in more assholish behavior from the curler than, “Would you mind doing your curls at (fill in station here)? This is the only place I can do (squats, floor presses, check out prime ass, etc.).” Or something along those lines. Maybe even offer to help them move their weight.

One other question, what about the person who is only using the bar to squat. They are using the rack for its intended purpose, but can they do the exercise somewhere else, of course. When do we get to decide what weight is justified to use a piece of equipment.

Probably a good 80% of the exercises I do somehow involve the power rack. Since I use the power rack for everything else, why not curls too? It’s not like anyone else is usually waiting for the damn thing. :slight_smile:

No!!!
While in the army I watched a dude cul 225 out of the rack, Dude was huge former jr. Oklahoma. then went to do sets of 80 pnd dumbell curls… Yeah all I can say to that.

TheCuda…
A.K.A colin

I agree with Kelly. I usually use the power rack or the squat rack to curl but I do move if I see someone wanting to squat. Nobody uses these machines anyway at my gym. We also don’t have curl stations or any stations to curl from. That is unless I curl from the bench press station which is always filled up at my gym. YOu know the people who do the “work chest and fuck the rest” routine. They have a lot of these people at my gym.

Phatman,
I see where you’re coming from but I don’t agree. See if some kid is in the power rack doing curls, regardless of weight, that’s a waste. He could easily deadlift the weight and curl from there. Your asking me to go do something else and come back…that’s assuming the other idiot isn’t there doing pullups when we have 5 stations where he can do this.

We all need some common courtesy in the gym. Heck if the guy beat me to the rack and refuses to move then fine. I get pissed when he then proceeds to leave his weights on the bar…that’s another thread right there. What to do when idiots think that it’s someone elses job to replace the 500+ #'s they used to complete a grueling 2 inch exercise…

you guys critize a guy that is doing
little curls in the power cage but its okay if you are doing 135 or more in the power cage.

I think your just pissed that someone is using your equipment and thats all. Here’s they way I look it neither should be doing curls in a power rack.
Reasons:

A) the light guy/girl curling in the rack the weight is light pick off from the ground.

B) The guy that is curling heavy I say pick it off the ground also you have the 45lb plates are high enough already;)

I stand by my statement. The guy doing knee raises could have attached the arm slings to about thirty differnt things in the gym. ive moved the slings myself on many occasions just to avoid this situation. Its actually easier in the pullup station because there is a way to step up. using the power rack just because you got there first even though you could just as easily and in some cases more conveniently somewhere else makes you a douche bag.

If im doing pullups and somebody asks for the rack or if im almost done i say go ahead i can do these anywhere. same with any other exercise that i can move. Thats called common courtesy. And at my gym nobody pays for shit. The government pays for it.

O.K to use gear that it’s not designed for IF you get there first?

How about sit ups at the cable station?

Stretching on the treadmill?

Step-ups using the platforms?

Using a T-Bar seat to do concentration curls?

Crunches on a Bench?

Incline press’ in the Hack?

Next you guys will be saying that Deadlifts in the Sauna are O.K if you get there first

Use the equipment for what it was designed/purchased for, “'Cause I got there first” is rude, inconsiderate and stupid.

Of course so is eating your boogers.

“Booger. Not just for breakfast anymore”

~ Dave Barry

JaredNFS hit it right on the head. If you ask me to move and I’m curling in the squat rack, I’d move. If you came up and told me to get the hell out of your squat rack because I can curl anywhere, well then you better pull up a chair and a book cuase I’m spending the next six hours in that rack.

Cake it might be Rude but who’s to say that a peice of equipment can only be used one way? If I get there first the equipment is mine until I walk away from it. Again if someone wants to work in or wants to use it and I can do what I’m doing somewhere else, I’d move. Depending on how I was asked.

Colin -

“Curling in the Squat rack tonight, just to see what happens”

Cupcake - nice

Colin…

If I were rude to you in asking I would not expect you to be polite and accomodate my request. However, if I were to ask nicely and you refused, THAT would be rude, inconsiderate and stupid.

If I were to be a prick about it of course you would take your time (I would too) but I still can’t for the life of me understand WHY anyone would ever choose a rack to curl in anyway…it seems to me to be like Timmy P’s insistence on giving himself “Wet Willy’s” then yelling “THATS THE STUFF!” in line at the local Grocery store.

You don’t “HAVE” to do it here but you do anyway.

I Just don’t get it.

Of course, after curling in the rack, you can still shop at Piggly Wigglies. Timmy P has been reduced to his local Circle K.

"I love to go shopping. I love to freak out salespeople. They ask me if they can help me, and I say, “Have you got anything I’d like?” Then they ask me what size I need, and I say, “Extra medium.”

~ Steven Wright

Why isn’t anyone up in arms about the recurrence of this thread?
I agree with the earlier post that stated, “If you can defend the squat rack, you can do whatever you want in it.” I’ve been curling in the squat rack in gyms all over North America, Central America, Australia, Asia, the Middle East, Europe, and South America. There have been crowded gyms, empty gyms, gyms with weak guys, and freak gyms. Never has anyone said anything to me. Not once. I wonder why? Probably size and the amount of weight being used. Or they could have been intimidated by my physical beauty. Either way, if someone did ask me to move, I would smile and politely ask them to fuck themselves. I like gentle directness.

US=GG, but you always seem to beat around the bush on so many other issues. :slight_smile:

Phatman you stole my name…lol

Colin
A.K.A
TheCuda

Sorry Bro My mom gave me that one in 1963, :slight_smile: