Curl Meet: Is This Powerlifting?

- YouTube

Does a suit give you carryover?

I like the fact that bicep curls are being included in several powerlifting federations. The very first PL competitions included the big three plus curls, since bicep strength is not really measured well with those 3 lifts and IMO it is tough to consider yourself overall strong if you don’t have a pretty good curl. Later on curls were dropped from PL meets, probably due to the time it takes just to get through the 3 lifts themselves.

Personally I like strict curls done up against the wall better, they are much easier to judge. I assume you are being sarcastic about having a suit for curls. I like the fact that it is a lift that gear doesn’t do anything for.

[quote]Tim Henriques wrote:
Personally I like strict curls done up against the wall better, they are much easier to judge. I assume you are being sarcastic about having a suit for curls. I like the fact that it is a lift that gear doesn’t do anything for.[/quote]

What exactly are the regulations on curls? (Don’t want morons doing this shit: - YouTube )

[quote]machiajelly wrote:
What exactly are the regulations on curls? (Don’t want morons doing this shit: - YouTube )[/quote]

There are two types of curls. The standing curls are just that. The idea is to be pretty strict but most of the standing curl competitions I have seen or competed in allowed some body english, some more than others. The idea is that the trunk should not flex or extend too much and that the shoulders should stay in line with the body although like I said some orgs are stricter than others. You can do a youtube search of curls and NASA and you should get some good hits, like the one included above.

The strict curls are curls done with the upper back and butt against the wall and they must stay against the wall the entire time. This usually takes 15-20% off of what someone can curl standing, more if they are swinging a lot. The elbows do not have to stay in contact with the wall and they may move forward. This is very easy to judge assuming the judges have a good view, the most common issue is the butt coming off on the way up. Curls are also pretty easy to tell when they are locked out, so those are really only the two big issues in the curl.

Both types use an EZ bar.