Cure To HIV Discovered?

http://www.kvue.com/news/state/stories/072908kvuehivbreakthrough-cb.14e217f8.html

"HOUSTON – There is real hope that what�??s happening in a Houston lab might lead to a cure for HIV.

�??We have found an innovative way to kill the virus by finding this small region of HIV that is unchangeable,�?? Dr. Sudhir Paul of the University of Texas Medical School at Houston said.

Dr. Paul and Dr. Miguel Escobar aren�??t talking about just suppressing HIV �?? they�??re talking about destroying it permanently by arming the immune system with a new weapon lab tests have shown to be effective.

Ford Stuart has been HIV positive for 15 years. He�??s on a powerful drug cocktail that keeps the disease in check.

�??I�??m on four different medications. Three of them are brand new, and it�??s the first time that I�??ve ever been non-detectable,�?? Stuart said. �??I�??m down to about �?? just for the HIV �?? about nine pills per day, five in the morning and four at night.�??

But Stuart knows HIV mutates, and eventually it will learn how to outsmart his medications.

�??The virus is truly complex and has many tricks up its sleeve,�?? Paul said.

But Dr. Paul thinks he�??s cracked a code.

�??We�??ve discovered the weak spot of HIV,�?? he said.

Paul and his team have zeroed in on a section of a key protein in HIV�??s structure that does not mutate.

�??The virus needs at least one constant region, and that is the essence of calling it the Achilles heel,�?? Paul said.

That Achilles heel is the doctors�?? way in. They take advantage of it with something called an abzyme.

It�??s naturally produced by people, like lupus patients. When they applied that abzyme to the HIV virus, it permanently disarmed it.

�??What we already have in our hand are the abzymes that we could be infusing into the human subjects with HIV infection, essentially to move the virus,�?? Paul said.

Basically, their idea could be used to control the disease for people who already have it and prevent infection for those at risk.

The theory has held up in lab and animal testing. The next step is human trials.

Meanwhile, every day in Houston, three people are diagnosed with HIV.

The doctors still need funding to launch human trials. In the world of HIV research, that�??s often where things fall apart.

�??Clinical trials are very expensive,�?? Paul said.

�??That is the worry of the researcher. This is what nightmares are made of �?? that after 30 years of work, you find it doesn�??t work,�?? Paul said.

But so far, it is working.

�??This is the holy grail of HIV research, to develop a preventative vaccine,�?? Paul said.

�??If we can get the viral loads down to a manageable level, that will preclude the need for these conventional drugs,�?? Escobar said.

Still, even if everything goes well, it�??s at least five years before the research could help people with HIV.

The doctors know people like Ford Stuart are waiting.

�??There are so many people struggling with the disease because it affects not only your body, but also your psyche, how you perceive yourself,�?? he said.

If nothing else, the research is promising for the tens of millions waiting for a cure."

Personally,
I think… the mass media is going to ignore this. Even if it turns out to be a 100% foolproof cure for HIV. It doesn’t help out the rich (pharmaceutical companies), because it makes them poorer.

Begin Discussion . . .

The media wont report it till its proven. But if its proven to be true, the media will be all over it

The connection between HIV and AIDs is going to turn out to be another scam, like CO2 causing global warming. Anything to squeeze another dollar out of the hapless American taxpayer…

[quote]MrChief wrote:
Personally,
I think… the mass media is going to ignore this. Even if it turns out to be a 100% foolproof cure for HIV. It doesn’t help out the rich (pharmaceutical companies), because it makes them poorer.

Begin Discussion . . .[/quote]

That’s one of the dumbest conspiracy theories around.

Basic capitalistic competition amongst businesses, combined with anti-collusion laws, completely prevents this. Throw in the fact that a patent on a drug to cure aids would bring in billions in profits, and it’s not likely even without competition and anit-collusion.

Second, a drug patent is only valid for 20 years, and patents are recieved long before FDA approval is given, typically leaving only 10-15 years for exclusive rights to a drug. Of course new drugs are being introduced constantly, so many don’t even last for their 15 year shelf life before being replaced by something better. Basically, if a company has a patent on a drug, they are best off getting it on the market so that they can make their profit as soon as possible.

Third, patents run out! If company A solves HIV, why in the world is company B going to agree to not reproduce the drug when A’s patent runs out? They won’t, it’s bad business.

Finally, it’s not like there aren’t other diseases to be cured. There will always be room for pharmaceuticals, and they will always be creating new drugs.

Anyways, I say we forget about HIV. At some point we have to start letting natural selection run it’s course again, lest we continue this reverse evolution.

[quote]tedro wrote:
Anyways, I say we forget about HIV. At some point we have to start letting natural selection run it’s course again, lest we continue this reverse evolution.
[/quote]

Thats a pretty cold thing to say for someone that is not infected with HIV. What happens if say you got infected. Your most likely a healthy guy. You happen to fall or need blood for some reason or some chick passes HIV to you and she didn’t know she had it. And bang through what should have been an easy transfusion or healthy relationship. You now have HIV.

Wow, should we all say to you nature should take its course as the sores and the body wasting starts to happen(there goes your precious body you worked so hard for). The perm. colds or other various diseases start to take hold from your weaken body and immune system?

Grow up idiot. This effects us all.

This sounds like the ESC for paralysis to me. I hope it works, but HIV mutates pretty quickly.

[quote]dirtbag wrote:
tedro wrote:

Thats a pretty cold thing to say for someone that is not infected with HIV. What happens if say you got infected. Your most likely a healthy guy. You happen to fall or need blood for some reason or some chick passes HIV to you and she didn’t know she had it. And bang through what should have been an easy transfusion or healthy relationship. You now have HIV.

Wow, should we all say to you nature should take its course as the sores and the body wasting starts to happen(there goes your precious body you worked so hard for). The perm. colds or other various diseases start to take hold from your weaken body and immune system?

[/quote]

Darwin said the same thing. Darwin said we shouldn’t vaccinate anyone and just let natural selection run its course. I’m not defending the idea, I’m just throwing it out there.

I disagree about it affecting us all though. Well, maybe not. I’m sure some of my tax money is paying for HIV research.

[quote]tedro wrote:
MrChief wrote:

[/quote]

Wow that’s strong!!

Be careful, being from Kansas and making statements like that will have us assuming you are one of those Westborough(sp?) nutsjobs.

What exactly do you mean by that statement anyway?

[quote]AlteredState wrote:
MrChief wrote:
Personally,

Begin Discussion . . .

Next you’ll be suggesting that big pharma actually creates new diseases, just so we rely on them for a cure.[/quote]

“Puts on his tinfoil hat. Looks around the room. Turns on a electromagnetic field to prevent the satelites from reading his brain.”

Lets talk conspircy …They say HIV was a biological weapon at one time. I think it has something to do with the military industrial complex making deals with big pharma!

hahahahaha Yeah right. :smiley:

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
dirtbag wrote:
tedro wrote:

Darwin said the same thing. Darwin said we shouldn’t vaccinate anyone and just let natural selection run its course. I’m not defending the idea, I’m just throwing it out there.

I disagree about it affecting us all though. Well, maybe not. I’m sure some of my tax money is paying for HIV research. [/quote]

Well how about your medical insurance rates. How about bed space taken up from some person dieing of the disease or complications. How about if your kid, mother, father, sister or brother contracted it.

Here in Canada or health care system which is free. Would not be able to stand if more people become infected. So it does effect everyone equally.

It effects health, economy, and people who have to care for them. That creates ripples in the water.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
The connection between HIV and AIDs is going to turn out to be another scam, like CO2 causing global warming. Anything to squeeze another dollar out of the hapless American taxpayer…
[/quote]

STFU.

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
dirtbag wrote:
tedro wrote:

I disagree about it affecting us all though. Well, maybe not. I’m sure some of my tax money is paying for HIV research. [/quote]

Of course it is and it is taking away from other research such as cancer. So be it. HIV/AIDS is real and needs to be dealt with.

On a positive note the treatments for HIV work well. I am sure some of what is learned will be applied to treatment of other virus’.

so, we don’t have to use condoms any more?

seriously though, those 2 docs would be remembered for ever if they can pull this off

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

seriously though, those 2 docs would be remembered for ever if they can pull this off[/quote]

You don’t have to use them now if you’re a heterosexual worried about contracting HIV. Other diseases are a different story. The odds of you getting HIV from heterosexual contact are vanishingly small.

[quote]MrChief wrote:
Personally,

Begin Discussion . . .[/quote]

If this is legit, it will be licensed to a spinoff started by the researchers, working in conjunction with a major pharma partner or it will be sold straight to the pharma company (most likely the former for risk reasons).

If this plays out it will make a ton of money for all involved and society will reap substantial “trickle down” benefits from all the new employees of the new company, etc. Everyone is happy, whoopee.

[quote]tedro wrote:
MrChief wrote:

[/quote]

Pretty good counter argument, and do you or anybody else know the list of diseases that have been completely cured in the last 50 or so years?
This is the 2nd argument I always hear from the conspiracy theorist.

Tedro: Do you believe this only for HIV, or for all the other diseases also? What point do you decide to reverse evolution agian?

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:

seriously though, those 2 docs would be remembered for ever if they can pull this off

You don’t have to use them now if you’re a heterosexual worried about contracting HIV. Other diseases are a different story. The odds of you getting HIV from heterosexual contact are vanishingly small. [/quote]

lol, I was joking

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:

You don’t have to use them now if you’re a heterosexual worried about contracting HIV. Other diseases are a different story. The odds of you getting HIV from heterosexual contact are vanishingly small. [/quote]

Are you fucking serious? No wonder HIV keeps rising.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
PRCalDude wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:

You don’t have to use them now if you’re a heterosexual worried about contracting HIV. Other diseases are a different story. The odds of you getting HIV from heterosexual contact are vanishingly small.

Are you fucking serious? No wonder HIV keeps rising.[/quote]

How many heterosexuals do you know with HIV?