T Nation

Curcumin, Cox-1, and Dogs

Is it known how much Curcumin might inhibit Cox-1? The reason I'm asking, and a second question, is if I could safely give some to my dog (if I could find a way to make him swallow it). He has a large wound right now, 10 days old, with lots of stitches, and it is STILL full of fluid and inflamed. Yesterday, there was no visible skin inflammation around the wound, but there was a lot of fluid under the skin. But today it's all red again, and oozing, so I think he probably licked it to death last night, since the pain med (tramadol) was by that time out of his system.

I would love to reduce the inflammation and speed healing somehow, and I know my own issues heal up faster if I take an NSAID like naproxen or IB. However, I have read that dogs are much more vulnerable to kidney and liver damage and internal bleeding from Cox-1 inhibition, so I am reluctant to give him aspirin and was wondering if the curcumin might be better if it doesn't inhibit Cox-1 as much.

Asprin for would healing? Never heard of this. I highly doubt curcumin is going to hurt your dog though, but I’m not so sure it will speed anything up. Sorry.

Reducing inflammation often speeds healing. However, the anti-inflammatories available for dogs are really hard on their kidneys and liver.

Reducing inflammation also reduces the pain, and with less pain, he will be less frantic to scratch, lick, and otherwise mutilate the wound and rip out the stitches. I have a collar on him and I watch him, but it is hard to prevent all the things he can do when it bothers him.

I hate to state the obvious here, but we’re talking about a DOG. Take him to the vet.

[quote]Xab wrote:
I hate to state the obvious here, but we’re talking about a DOG. Take him to the vet. [/quote]

X2.

Curcumin probably won’t hurt him, but just take him to the vet if he needs something for a major wound.

[quote]Xab wrote:
I hate to state the obvious here, but we’re talking about a DOG. Take him to the vet. [/quote]

Unless the guy stitched the dog up himself, I assume he’s already been to the vet.

The vet is already $700 richer from stitching up this wound. And the vet is NOT gonna know if curcumin is safe. And the vet is more than willing to prescribe expensive NSAIDS that MAY cause kidney and liver damage in dogs. And I was out of town when the accident occurred, so the emergency clinic that treated him is 100 miles away.

And by the way, cleaning and stitching wounds is NOT rocket science, and I WOULD do it myself. But this wound was so large, and the dog has very low tolerance for even grooming, I couldn’t see cleaning and stitching it without sedation. He needed almost an hour of anesthesia.

Since I got no answers about curcumin, I poked around PubMed, which is enough to make you wanna pound the stuff down all day long. One abstract reports:

It is repeatedly said to be “safe at high doses.” So I’m giving some to my dog and hoping for the best. I put the capsule in his food dish and he ate it, which he doesn’t normally do with pills.

Let us know how you make out, my dogs are always getting into something,

Don’t overdo it my man. Messing with inflammation is usually not a good idea, for example NSAIDS like asprin actually slow down muscle repair. IMO, let the would healing do its thing.

I do not believe that NSAIDs slow muscle repair. Or at least not to any meaningful extent.