Curcumin and Stomach Acid?

I took curcumin in the fall and ended up having to get on zantac for excess stomach acid. I have made some dietary changes - no more potatoes and tomatoes (and I love potatoes damnit!) and the stomach acid things seems better. I would like to start taking curcumin again as I felt it helped with inflammation (which I have way too much of) yet even one tablet a day for two days is harkening back to the excess acid symptoms.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to reduce stomach acid or minimize the effects of curcumin on stomach acid - take with certain foods, time of day, etc.? I have been taking it with a large protein shake - dairy and fruit - at breakfast.

Any other foods I should be avoiding?

A lot of people I’ve dealt with end up having a lack of HCL versus too much, but you’d have to do some tests to find out.

Just my opinion, why not get to the root cause of why you have so much inflammation? I mean curcumin is great, and it’s fine to supplement, but I don’t think it should be used to cover up the underlying reason of inflammation.

The inflammatory foods would be the ones that can cause an IgA antibody release (different for everybody), which you could find out through a food sensitivities test. I would cut out dairy and gluten for 2 weeks, and re-introduce one and see if you get any adverse symptoms.

[quote]EGYnutrition wrote:
A lot of people I’ve dealt with end up having a lack of HCL versus too much, but you’d have to do some tests to find out.

Just my opinion, why not get to the root cause of why you have so much inflammation? I mean curcumin is great, and it’s fine to supplement, but I don’t think it should be used to cover up the underlying reason of inflammation.

The inflammatory foods would be the ones that can cause an IgA antibody release (different for everybody), which you could find out through a food sensitivities test. I would cut out dairy and gluten for 2 weeks, and re-introduce one and see if you get any adverse symptoms. [/quote]

Thanks. I did not realize I had so much inflammation until recently - then took Celebrix (see NSAIDs thread) felt much better but have a family history with problems with side effects. So I stopped and am trying to find another route.

Stomach acid issue just popped up over the last couple of years - high stress. The stress is gone but it turns out both my parents have too much acid as well. So, trying to find a dietary verse prescription solution.

I love dairy - damn you. I will be cutting back soon.

Just spit balling here - but any ideas about whether the magnesium in ZMA would have positive benefits in the reduction of stomach acid?

check this out mate

sounds to me like your getting reflux not high stomach acid

[quote]stockzy wrote:
check this out mate

sounds to me like your getting reflux not high stomach acid[/quote]

I cannot seem to get the link to load. I will keep trying.

I got heartburn when I exceeded the recommenced dosage of curcumin (based on others claiming it was beneficial for some) but before that the acid was not coming up the esophagus, but rather, out the other end. So that the burning sensation was actual burning. I spoke to my doctor about it and he said he thought it was too much acid.

Perhaps then it is an acid re-absorption issue as well. Don’t know. Trying to figure it all out. Read the article from some months back, From Piehole to Poopshoot, but could not find my symptoms.

This is literally a pain in the ass.