Culturally Fat

I just read this article a friend sent me. Thoughts? Criticism? I just thought it was an interesting take on some cultures saying that being fat is acceptable or sought after.

Maybe.

I think the most likely answer is:

-Blacks make up a significant portion of the lower socio-economic classes in the US

-poor people can’t afford healthy food

-unhealthy food combined with a sedentary lifestyle leads to obesity

I don’t have any evidence but I doubt obesity rates noticeably vary within a socio-economic class.

“Pooling national data from more than 30 years, White and Black women consistently experienced higher BMI at lower income levels, although this association was more modest at some time points than others (Chang & Lauderdale, 2005). In recent years, and in contrast to women and White men, Black and Mexican-American men experienced higher BMI?s with higher incomes.”

[quote]therajraj wrote:
Maybe.

-Blacks make up a significant portion of the lower socio-economic classes in the US

I don’t have any evidence but I doubt obesity rates noticeably vary within a socio-economic class. [/quote]

??

What makes you think the women in that article are poor? Her husband is a lawyer.

This is about “culture”, not race. Yes, I know many huge black women who really think they look sexy. I also know a growing number of fat white women wearing low cut daisy dukes with a muffin top looming over it.

Our culture as a whole has accepted being fat…not just the black people. If more than half of the high school today would qualify as “husky” or fat in 1975, it isn’t just the black people. They may just be leading the pack right now.

On the topic of culture and obesity:

One excuse you hear now and again is something like “Well I’m Italian! We have a culture to eat big! Manga! That’s why I’m fat!”

Now tell me, what culture doesn’t have a tradition of sitting around, having get-to-togethers and eating ridiculous amounts of food? All cultures pretty much do.

So when I hear cultural or racial factors for obesity, I’m generally pretty skeptical.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

What makes you think the women in that article are poor? Her husband is a lawyer.[/quote]

I understood the article to be talking about Black American culture as a whole. She was only using herself as an example

This is about “culture”, not race. Yes, I know many huge black women who really think they look sexy. I also know a growing number of fat white women wearing low cut daisy dukes with a muffin top looming over it. [/quote]

Well that is really strange.

Our culture as a whole has accepted being fat…not just the black people. If more than half of the high school today would qualify as “husky” or fat in 1975, it isn’t just the black people. They may just be leading the pack right now.[/quote]

Well I think the reason black people are leading the pack is a result of people at lower income levels having a tendency to eat more nutritionally poor foods

The article makes a good point about this being a cultural thing…several black friends of mine who I played football with, absolutely LOVE bigger girls.

The women in their families are also quite large (met them over several holiday dinners) while it is true that all races in America are fattier, in African-American culture it seems to be a much more desired trait, and much appreciated really.

Relevant:

I’m Black…I don’t orbit around the bigger women…but that’s just me I guess

[quote]UtahLama wrote:
The article makes a good point about this being a cultural thing…several black friends of mine who I played football with, absolutely LOVE bigger girls.

The women in their families are also quite large (met them over several holiday dinners) while it is true that all races in America are fattier, in African-American culture it seems to be a much more desired trait, and much appreciated really.[/quote]

Desired? No. Overlooked…Maybe.

What is the article considering fat? She states her friends husband asked her “not to lose the sugar down below” I am guessing that means her butt/hips. I have noticed that what some white women find fat is ridiculous. I have met some white girls/women who think someone like Beyonce or Salma Hayek are fat…really?

If women think Beyonce and Salma Hayek are fat they’re just jealous. They see women with a desirable hip to waist ratio, nice ass and a full chest and because they are a complete package they label them as fat IMO.

I blame this problem on the men. If your woman and can get men while being fat, why would you change anything. Do your part by being as high quality as possible while making yourself unavailable to large women. If they see they can never have a guy like you and be large maybe they will reconsider their lifestyle.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
What is the article considering fat? She states her friends husband asked her “not to lose the sugar down below” I am guessing that means her butt/hips. I have noticed that what some white women find fat is ridiculous. I have met some white girls/women who think someone like Beyonce or Salma Hayek are fat…really?

[/quote]

She mentioned 200 pounds as a barometer for black women…I’d say that objectively fat for just about any woman.

[quote]four60 wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

The women in their families are also quite large (met them over several holiday dinners) while it is true that all races in America are fattier, in African-American culture it seems to be a much more desired trait, and much appreciated really.[/quote]

Desired? No. Overlooked…Maybe.[/quote]

Maybe a better way to put it is they love very curvy women…very curvy.

Cute Face
Small Waist
Big Behind

Eating shitty food isnt about being “poor”, it’s about being stupid and lazy, and not knowing what to eat.

[quote]sufiandy wrote:
I blame this problem on the men. If your woman and can get men while being fat, why would you change anything. Do your part by being as high quality as possible while making yourself unavailable to large women. If they see they can never have a guy like you and be large maybe they will reconsider their lifestyle.[/quote]

LOL!!

No one posted this yet? Really?

[quote]therajraj wrote:
Maybe.

I don’t have any evidence but I doubt obesity rates noticeably vary within a socio-economic class. [/quote]

??

What makes you think the women in that article are poor? Her husband is a lawyer.

This is about “culture”, not race. Yes, I know many huge black women who really think they look sexy. I also know a growing number of fat white women wearing low cut daisy dukes with a muffin top looming over it.

Our culture as a whole has accepted being fat…not just the black people. If more than half of the high school today would qualify as “husky” or fat in 1975, it isn’t just the black people. They may just be leading the pack right now.[/quote]

I think African Americans have the same problem like Inuits, Aborigines, American Indians and whatnot, just to a lesser degree.

Too much sugar first makes them fat and then kills them.

Of course, if someone wants to build some culture thing around that, that is totally fine, but the diabeetus will kill them anyway.

I like small white women.

All that bullemia kills their gag reflex.