T Nation

Cuff Problem

Due to a very freak accident while preparing to move this past weekend i suffered a small tear in my superspinatus tendon of my right rotator cuff. This sucks cause i always do cuff work due to the fact that i had an injury while playing baseball in college. The Dr. said that it should heal on its own in about 8-12 weeks. My question is to any PT’s out there or people who have had a similar problem…will this thing actually heal itself or will i need surgury down the line. I don’t want to be wasting my time for 3 months hoping that it might heal when in reality it won’t and i’ll need surgury anyway. I want to be able to lift heavy and play ball again so i need the shoulder to be as good as possible. What were other people’s recovery time on an injury like this and what would it be if surgury was done? Any thoghts??

i have a partial tear of my right rotater and a “lax” left rotater and surgury was reommended.
this was 99’ and i’ve never taken more than 1 wk off since[ save broken bones]. i did lots of rotater work before upperboddy work[on top of lighter warmup sets]and train heavy at ALL times [right now i’m on 5x5].
take the time off you feel you need, ease your way back into it and use good judgement. doctors are for identifying problems, not fixin em. i’d say no to surgury , but its up to you
peace,flash

I have a weak left rotator cuff right now, and I can dislocate my shoulder at will. This will never heal by itself. Ever. I am 22 years old, and I’m not allowed using a full range of motion on Bench Press for the rest of my life. I’m very upset about this.

Anyways, a completely torn tendon will never heal on its own. A partially torn tendon MAY HEAL CORRECTLY on its own. There are chances that it can heal incorrectly, and that it can have a lot of interferring scar tissue.

You probably understand the principles of injury management (Ice, antiinflammatories) so I wont go there. Massage is something which has worked well for me. Try some sort of therapy to brek up any scarring or adhesions i.e. ART.
When they are healthy I make sure my shoulders are flexible enough to not snap the instant I dump an olympic lift. I try to do dynamic (not ballistic:) flexibility work on them.

I had a massive rotator cuff injury and had to have surgery to put it all back together.It took a very long time for it to improve to full mobility. You need to see an orthopedic surgeon and have him do an MRI.It’s the only way to tell how bad your tear is.If it needs surgery, get it done and get on with the healing process,It will not heal it self.

I had a massive rotator cuff injury and had to have surgery to put it all back together.It took a very long time for it to improve to full mobility. You need to see an orthopedic surgeon and have him do an MRI.It’s the only way to tell how bad your tear is.If it needs surgery, get it done and get on with the healing process,It will not heal it self.

Um, I should have mentioned not to massage until the initial inflammation/repair stage is over.