Cube Method Success/Fails

For the most part I do all of my own programming but I recently read the Cube Method and was thinking of giving it a go since I have a while before my next meet. Just lookin to get some feedback from people who have done it

I think the program is a success. Gotta do all the work, get in all the lead up sets, accessories, recovery and food and you’ll get stronger. For the record, i’m about halfway through it so far.

For lead up sets, i’m talking about this video.

I start Week 8 today. I like the way the prgoram is layed out and so far I am enjoying it. The volume kicked my ass for about the first month or so, it really made me question how hard I was training previously to starting it. I would give it a try if you are looking for something new, but then again, thats just y two cents. I hope this helps

Did a meet on Saturday. I did a modified version (added more volume using Prelipin’s table) and got a 25lb PR on squat, 20lb PR on bench, and a 45lb PR on my dead so from my perspective it works well. But I made some changes to it to make sure I was getting the volume in that I needed.

james

[quote]atypical1 wrote:
Did a meet on Saturday. I did a modified version (added more volume using Prelipin’s table) and got a 25lb PR on squat, 20lb PR on bench, and a 45lb PR on my dead so from my perspective it works well. But I made some changes to it to make sure I was getting the volume in that I needed.

james[/quote]

Funny you mention this, I did some calculations on the cube program and compared it to prilipens recommendations and the volume on cube was barely over half of what’s considered “ideal” by prilipen.

Although I’d agree that barely over half of the “ideal” ranges is still a bit low, remember that Prilipen’s data set only included eccentric-less Olympic lifts. Because of this, had he studied power lifts, he may have ended up concluding that the “ideal” range was a bit lower.

[quote]TB284 wrote:
Although I’d agree that barely over half of the “ideal” ranges is still a bit low, remember that Prilipen’s data set only included eccentric-less Olympic lifts. Because of this, had he studied power lifts, he may have ended up concluding that the “ideal” range was a bit lower.[/quote]

The ideal is still far from the top end of the range for what is considered too much volume for a single session. The ideal amount of volume is still only half of the top end numbers for an individual session. This would put the Cube at a quarter of prilipens maximum volume. I’m not trying to bash the program, I’ve never done it but one of my training partners modified all the volume on the program aswell and I thought it was interesting someone else did the same.

All basic programs with some experience behind them will work for just about everyone. Programming really isn’t that important beyond doing the basic movements often enough and heavy enough. In other words, do heavy compounds lifts, eat big, and sleep. If the program includes those things, the variations are just gravy adding only a little boost.

Summary: Don’t worry so much about picking a program. Just pick one and stick with it for at least 6 months, a year is better.

[quote]BCP27 wrote:
All basic programs with some experience behind them will work for just about everyone. Programming really isn’t that important beyond doing the basic movements often enough and heavy enough. In other words, do heavy compounds lifts, eat big, and sleep. If the program includes those things, the variations are just gravy adding only a little boost.

Summary: Don’t worry so much about picking a program. Just pick one and stick with it for at least 6 months, a year is better. [/quote]
I’m pretty sure OP knows that. He was just looking for some opinions on the cube method.

[quote]budreiser wrote:

[quote]BCP27 wrote:

Summary: Don’t worry so much about picking a program. Just pick one and stick with it for at least 6 months, a year is better. [/quote]
I’m pretty sure OP knows that. He was just looking for some opinions on the cube method.[/quote]

Why? It fits into that template fine, and therefore will work. Which actual method will work slightly better than all others for OP is going to be different for him than everyone else. Asking others when the method has been shown to be generally effective serves basically no purpose whatsoever unless one thing about the method in particular might be limiting for some weird reason specific to OP.

[quote]BCP27 wrote:

[quote]budreiser wrote:

[quote]BCP27 wrote:

I’m pretty sure OP knows that. He was just looking for some opinions on the cube method.[/quote]

Why? It fits into that template fine, and therefore will work. Which actual method will work slightly better than all others for OP is going to be different for him than everyone else. Asking others when the method has been shown to be generally effective serves basically no purpose whatsoever unless one thing about the method in particular might be limiting for some weird reason specific to OP.
[/quote]

Then why ask about anything? I think nearly all strength coaches would disagree with you. There is some truth to what you are saying, but as a stand alone philosophy on training, that’s pretty weak shit.

[quote]Mad Martigan wrote:

[quote]BCP27 wrote:

[quote]budreiser wrote:

[quote]BCP27 wrote:

[/quote]

Then why ask about anything? I think nearly all strength coaches would disagree with you. There is some truth to what you are saying, but as a stand alone philosophy on training, that’s pretty weak shit. [/quote]

You ask about things when the answers aren’t glaringly obvious. Most strength coaches actually agree that the most important thing is to do heavy, compounds movements with a barbell. As a training philosophy, that’s what got every single guy who is strong to where he is now.

This guy’s asking about the Cube not all of your training philosophies. Can we keep it on topic?

OP, the Cube worked well for me but I did modify it. But Lilly himself says that it’s just a template for you to adjust to your own needs. Try it and modify it as you need.

james

For those of you who’ve had success using the cube, are you training raw or equipped? I’ve been using westside for the past few years in gear and loved it, but I’m gonna train my raw lifts for a while and i’m wondering if I should give the cube a shot.

And for those of you who’ve modified the volume, care to share what you did?

From the logs I have seen the cube method is not very effective. They probably aren’t doing enough work but from what I’ve seen that dynamic effort day doesn’t do anything for them at all.

I train raw and compete with knee wraps (in my fed that’s “classic raw”.).

For volume I used the percentage that Brandon specifies as the top figure then went backwards from there. So if I was supposed to do 5 sets of 2 with 80% I made sure to also do sets with 75% and 70%. According to Prelipin’s table I’m supposed to do 15 reps with 80% so the 10 reps was too low.

james

[quote]casperthegst wrote:
From the logs I have seen the cube method is not very effective. They probably aren’t doing enough work but from what I’ve seen that dynamic effort day doesn’t do anything for them at all. [/quote]

nice troll job asshole

[quote]BCP27 wrote:

[quote]Mad Martigan wrote:

[quote]BCP27 wrote:

[quote]budreiser wrote:

[quote]BCP27 wrote:

[/quote]

Then why ask about anything? I think nearly all strength coaches would disagree with you. There is some truth to what you are saying, but as a stand alone philosophy on training, that’s pretty weak shit. [/quote]

You ask about things when the answers aren’t glaringly obvious. Most strength coaches actually agree that the most important thing is to do heavy, compounds movements with a barbell. As a training philosophy, that’s what got every single guy who is strong to where he is now. [/quote]

I see you posting all the time, how long exactly have you been training consistently? What are your numbers? You give out lots of advice…is this from actual experience?

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
For those of you who’ve had success using the cube, are you training raw or equipped? I’ve been using westside for the past few years in gear and loved it, but I’m gonna train my raw lifts for a while and i’m wondering if I should give the cube a shot. [/quote]

I train with a belt and wraps, and I use the Cube. Im in week 7 now and so far, everything is slowly going up. I say go for it. Mr Lilly also layed out a 10 week cycle for geared lifters in an issue of Power magazine, if you wanted to keep the gear on. Hope this helps and good luck!