Cuban Press

Has anybody here done Cuban Press and got injured by doing that?

I ask because often external rotation execises with super light weigths are recomended. Cuban Press incorporates an external rotation and Cuban Press is done just like any other exercise with normal weights, …

Is there a reason why one would do external rotation only with mini-weights, while you actually could use way heavyer weigths?

I think “normal weight” for a cuban press is quite low?

I’ll do them (or a variation of them) using the empty bar…

I’m doing Cuban Presses as part of a shoulder (p)rehab plan. I do them using 6kg db’s but I can take more weight.
I’ve decided to go slow though.

I can barbell Military Press 115 for 5x5 and I usually only use about 25lbs for 3x10 on my Cuban Presses. However, I don’t acually do the “press” part, just the rotational portion of the lift… The pressing portion never made sense to me.

[quote]mabe wrote:
Is there a reason why one would do external rotation only with mini-weights, while you actually could use way heavyer weigths?[/quote]

Work your way up slowly. Even big guys use relatively low weights on this one.

I guarantee you’re inviting trouble to jump to “way heavier weights” AND that your form would not be optimal at those weights.

You’re not trying to build giant rotator cuff muscles here, just condition the area so that your shoulders stay “tight” and unimpinged during pressing movements.

In fact, heavier weights might even over-fatigue the area causing problems on said lifts — though this is just speculation on my part.

I like the lying version of “L” lifts as I call them. It’s a very strict movement, as long as your elbow stays tucked against your obliques.