Cuban Cigar Laws..

I was in Jamaica for spring break about a month and half ago, we all came back with cubans. Slipped the rings off just to be safe. Customs rifled through our stuff, found nothing, and we went on our merry way.

As far as those who say Cubans are overrated, I highly reccomend you try smoking one on a beach in Jamaica with a tight bodied brunette from UConn sitting on your lap, it may change your perspective slightly.

Just toss them in your bag. That’s what I did when I bought one for a friend and I had no problem. I guy I met at the resort where I stayed (Bermuda) did the same. We took the same flight out and his made it through, as well. However, you said you were going to Cuba (didn’t you?) and the laws there must be more strict…soooo…

By the way, I’ve heard people talk about emptying the tobacco from the cigar and rolling a blunt with it. I don’t mean to insult your intellegence, but please don’t do this. Enjoy!

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:

It’s nothing to be embarrassed about. But it is annoying to hear people who have never smoked anything but fakes discuss their experiences with “Cuban” cigars.[/quote]

How would you know if they smoked fake ones or not?

[quote]Mr. Clean & Jerk wrote:
By the way, I’ve heard people talk about emptying the tobacco from the cigar and rolling a blunt with it. I don’t mean to insult your intellegence, but please don’t do this. Enjoy![/quote]

I guess you could always grind it and then roll a few out of it lol.

Seriously though… No.

I brought one back, for a friend, taped to the inside of my boot. After I brought it back for him I did some looking, and you can have them mailed to you off the internet. I know a guy who said that he usually just orders a box from a company that is based in a country besides cuba. They just import the cubans and then redistribute them.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Cubans are overrated imo. There are a lot of legal brands out there that are just as good if not better.[/quote]

QFT

perdomo are some of my favorites

the rocky patel vintage line is also good

and of course the Fuente Fuente Opus X and the anejo shark. the anejo shark is the best smoke iv tried. and i’ve tried way to many

I used to smuggle Cuban Cigars as my job back in the day. I had this 50 foot yacht and I sailed the seas back and forth from Miami to Gitmo Bay several times a year with box loads of them, I even sold them to the Coast Guard.

Okay well not really but I did bring some back one time when I took a cruise to the Bahamas. They dont check everyones bags inside and out. They taste just as good as an expensive cigar you would buy in America, except you think its better because its from Cuba. Everything is always better when it’s illegal.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
dollarbill44 wrote:
I’m not a cigar smoker, but I have friends/family members that would qualify as aficionados. More than one of them has told me that the best Dominican cigars are as good as the best Cubans. Apparently, all of the blends have been smuggled out of Cuba and the DR has basically the same climate, terrain and soil mix as Cuba.

I’m willing to bet those “aficionados” have never smoked a Cuban cigar - only fakes. Fakes outnumber authentic Cuban cigars 9-1. That is, 90% of purported Cuban cigars are actually fake.

It’s nothing to be embarrassed about. But it is annoying to hear people who have never smoked anything but fakes discuss their experiences with “Cuban” cigars.[/quote]

No. I can unequivocally say they have smoked several Cuban cigars. These are people that spend a LOT of $$$ and in the right places (high-end shops in foreign cities) on their cigars.

DB

Ive smoked good non cuban cigars for the past 4 years. I went to toronto into a small smoke shop and purchased a box of Romeo’s, as the dominican romeos are my usual smoke. They were definatley the real deal and the cigar buzz from them was amazing. You know the shits legit when you practically smoke the whole thing and the ash is still intact in the shape of the cigar.

These werent even super expensive cubans…yet still awsome. Definatley a difference.

Hey, don’t want to hijack the thread, but I’m just getting started enjoying the bad boys myself and am looking for some recommendations of a “lighter” cigar to start out with. Got my humidor coming in a few days, but kind of lost on WHAT to get. Also would like to start out under 5 bucks a stick.

walk before I run.

[quote]btm62 wrote:
Hey, don’t want to hijack the thread, but I’m just getting started enjoying the bad boys myself and am looking for some recommendations of a “lighter” cigar to start out with. Got my humidor coming in a few days, but kind of lost on WHAT to get. Also would like to start out under 5 bucks a stick.

walk before I run.[/quote]

pick up some CAO’s, they are all good smokes my favorite is the cameroon, its a box pressed, cameroon wrapper with a nice medium body and kinda sweet taste. at the shop i go to, they are 5 bucks even.

also for a cheap smoke, try a flor de olivia for like 2.25 it is very good and will fill up your humi quick.

o btw how big is your humi.

I think people are going on a bit much about fakes in Cuba. Yes, they exist but there are plenty of places where you can get legit ones (5 star hotels, cigar factories etc.) especially in Havana.

I

Well, aren’t I glad to be Canadian :smiley:

Not a real cigar lover, but I’d like some feedback: has anyone tried some Philipinos cigar? I heard they’re just as good as cubans, but way underrated and not as widely spread.

BTW, I’m surprised we haven’t heard from TC yet, he’s a big cigar aficionado.

[quote]BrwnbellyYankee wrote:
btm62 wrote:

walk before I run.

pick up some CAO’s, they are all good smokes my favorite is the cameroon, its a box pressed, cameroon wrapper with a nice medium body and kinda sweet taste. at the shop i go to, they are 5 bucks even.

also for a cheap smoke, try a flor de olivia for like 2.25 it is very good and will fill up your humi quick.

o btw how big is your humi.[/quote]

ONly 20, but I plan on only a 2-3 a week. It was only like 35 bucks and for that price I can afford to update without too much remorse.

[quote]Zen warrior wrote:
Well, aren’t I glad to be Canadian :smiley:

Not a real cigar lover, but I’d like some feedback: has anyone tried some Philipinos cigar? I heard they’re just as good as cubans, but way underrated and not as widely spread.

BTW, I’m surprised we haven’t heard from TC yet, he’s a big cigar aficionado.[/quote]

Did I hear my name?

I don’t really qualify as an aficionado. I smoke them, but I usually just find a brand I like until someone talks me into trying something else.

Right now I smoke Rocky Patel 1990s.

[quote]Mr.Bill wrote:
No amount of purchased cuban cigars can legally be brought into the USA.

Violates the trading with the enemy act.

Cigars will be confiscated at customs.

Only way around this is with a Diplomatic or humanitarion trip into Cuba and I believe that limit is $100.

[/quote]

that ended in 2004.

now it is flat illegal to purchase or even CONSUME cuban cigars, even on FOREIGN SOIL !
violators are punishable by up to $250,000/10years in prison. corporations up to $1,000,000.

isn’t it nice how we pay our government to make laws which attempt to OWN us ?

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Thread semi-hijack

Let’s discuss some of the great venues for smoking a fine cigar.

For me while:

Swathing hay (without a cab) when the mosquitos are thick and hungry. (OK, a cheap cigar will work in this circumstance)

In a hot tub with one or more nekkid chicks on a clear cold starry night (especially if they are smoking your cigar at the same time)

Sitting on a fence rail of a corral on a cold autumn day.

Driving a semi down a lonely stretch of interstate when you’re trying to stay awake.

[/quote]

i went to a parochial school and smoking was a definite no. we would pool our money and order from the jr catalog that came in the mail. a few of us would sneak out @ night and smoke up way out in the woods. sometimes it would be 10 degrees out…those were the best cigars i’ve ever had because they made all of us feel like we could think for ourselves.

[quote]swivel wrote:
i went to a parochial school and smoking was a definite no. we would pool our money and order from the jr catalog that came in the mail. a few of us would sneak out @ night and smoke up way out in the woods. sometimes it would be 10 degrees out…those were the best cigars i’ve ever had because they made all of us feel like we could think for ourselves. [/quote]

Ahh, the good old days. If only TShaw knew what was REALLY going down in those boarding school woodlands! :slight_smile: