T Nation

Cuban Cigar Laws..

Anyone know what the deal is with bringing back some cuban cigars from abroad into the U.S.?? I’ve heard that up to $400 can be brought back…does anyone know for sure?? Thanks.

No amount of purchased cuban cigars can legally be brought into the USA.

Violates the trading with the enemy act.

Cigars will be confiscated at customs.

Only way around this is with a Diplomatic or humanitarion trip into Cuba and I believe that limit is $100.

I’ve always slipped off the bands and said they were Dominican. 50/50 chance if they find them that they will take them anyway. Most of the time I get a smile and a “ah huh” from the customs officer and they let me pass. I never bring more then 10 or so back.

Dpending on where you are bringing them back from expect fakes. In Mexico for example most are fakes but the Walmart has the real thing and at good prices.

Depending on where you go, there are some places that will actually sell with an extra service to switch out with fake bands (Dominican Republic, etc.).

Of course, get familiar with Cubans before you take advantage of this and watch them change out the bands - you don’t want to be the guy that pays for a “Cuban” with a fake label when the original cigar was not a Cuban to begin with.

Best of luck.

take them out of the box and take the bands off before you come back home. i travel abroad every couple of months for work and have been doing this for years.

sometimes if i only have handful of cigars i’ll just put them in my carry on with the bands still on. i’ve been searched a few times and as long as you’re not carrying a couple hundred cigars back, the customs guys don’t really care. i’ve never had anything confiscated.

[quote]Mr.Bill wrote:

Cigars will be confiscated at customs.

[/quote]

Yeah and then they burn them…real slowly.

I just pack them next to the C4. The customs guys never notice the cigars.

DB

[quote]gr8est909 wrote:
Anyone know what the deal is with bringing back some cuban cigars from abroad into the U.S.?? I’ve heard that up to $400 can be brought back…does anyone know for sure?? Thanks.[/quote]

How are you crossing the border?

I’ve crossed by various methods since 9/11 and my customs inspection has varied from a 15 min. inspection and informal questioning to the exceedingly thorough, “Are you an American citizen?”

thunderbolt is right, though, no point in buying the Cubans if you aren’t well versed and your palate is incapable of discerning them.

I’m actually bringing them in from italy…

I’m gonna have to give it a try anyway. I’m thinking I’ll put some in the checked baggage and some in the carry on. Probably take all the bands off too and hope for the best. Thanks for all the advice.

Cubans are overrated imo. There are a lot of legal brands out there that are just as good if not better.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Cubans are overrated imo. There are a lot of legal brands out there that are just as good if not better.[/quote]

Really? Please share your favs. I’m curious.

[quote]BigRagoo wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
Cubans are overrated imo. There are a lot of legal brands out there that are just as good if not better.

Really? Please share your favs. I’m curious.[/quote]

Ditto… I’d venture a guess that you havent smoked very many or have somehow managed to acquire fake/substandard cubans.

Does anyone have experiences with Cohiba Sublimes? Just seeing them makes me ecstatic.

[quote]R@NE wrote:
BigRagoo wrote:
analog_kid wrote:

Ditto… I’d venture a guess that you havent smoked very many or have somehow managed to acquire fake/substandard cubans.

Does anyone have experiences with Cohiba Sublimes? Just seeing them makes me ecstatic.

[/quote]

Actually, I’m a cigar novice. I have enjoyed a few, but have no real taste for any in particular yet. That’s why I asked.

[quote]R@NE wrote:
BigRagoo wrote:
analog_kid wrote:

[/quote]

I’m not a cigar smoker, but I have friends/family members that would qualify as afficionados. More than one of them has told me that the best Dominican cigars are as good as the best Cubans. Apparently, all of the blends have been smuggled out of Cuba and the DR has basically the same climate, terrain and soil mix as Cuba.

DB

On a cruise years ago, our ship travelled around Cuba (Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica). Upon leaving Jamaica, a ship wide announcement was made that we were heading back to the United States.

All Cuban cigars that were purchased during the cruise must be consumed before we reach port in Miami. No cigars are allowed into the United States. They then suggested we “smoke 'em if we got 'em, including any smoking product purchased in Jamaica”.

Needless to say, the ship was very aromatic on the trip home.

[quote]Cat Nip wrote:
On a cruise years ago, our ship travelled around Cuba (Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica). Upon leaving Jamaica, a ship wide announcement was made that we were heading back to the United States.

All Cuban cigars that were purchased during the cruise must be consumed before we reach port in Miami. No cigars are allowed into the United States. They then suggested we “smoke 'em if we got 'em, including any smoking product purchased in Jamaica”.

Needless to say, the ship was very aromatic on the trip home. [/quote]

Awesome.

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
I’m not a cigar smoker, but I have friends/family members that would qualify as aficionados. More than one of them has told me that the best Dominican cigars are as good as the best Cubans. Apparently, all of the blends have been smuggled out of Cuba and the DR has basically the same climate, terrain and soil mix as Cuba.
[/quote]

I’m willing to bet those “aficionados” have never smoked a Cuban cigar - only fakes. Fakes outnumber authentic Cuban cigars 9-1. That is, 90% of purported Cuban cigars are actually fake.

It’s nothing to be embarrassed about. But it is annoying to hear people who have never smoked anything but fakes discuss their experiences with “Cuban” cigars.

[quote]gr8est909 wrote:
I’m actually bringing them in from italy…

I’m gonna have to give it a try anyway. I’m thinking I’ll put some in the checked baggage and some in the carry on. Probably take all the bands off too and hope for the best. Thanks for all the advice.[/quote]

I don’t think it’ll be a problem for you. I bought a bunch of Cubans for my friends and family when I was in China and had no problem getting them back in my luggage.

[quote]BigRagoo wrote:
R@NE wrote:
BigRagoo wrote:
analog_kid wrote:

Actually, I’m a cigar novice. I have enjoyed a few, but have no real taste for any in particular yet. That’s why I asked. [/quote]

I am by no means an expert myself either, I’ve mainly smoked Cuban Montecristos (no.4’s) and couple other Cuban brands and have very limited experience with Dominicans as well… just that those that I’ve had (some expensive some not) didn’t really even begin to compare with the Cubans.

Another question. Has anyone here built their own humidors? What tools and materials where used and how did it turn out (price/quality vs commercial products)?

Rocky Patel Vintage 1992.

:slight_smile: