Cub Scouts Fitness

I am nota den leader however I learned that I am in charge if educating, helping and having fun with health and fitness. What advice can I give for these youngsters that will hit home with them? I am looking for something that can be fun and rewarding. I am competing against video games and tv. Any positive replies are appreciated.

Treasure hunt out in the wild. Hide the items far and wide.

So you’re an adult helping with a cub scout den? What age? Tiger? Wolf? Bear? Usually the book gives age appropriate stuff. Nature walks are a great way to start. Take them out identifying trees, animals, etc. They won’t even think about the walking as exercise. Then make it a competition between dens. Races, who can do the most sit ups, push ups, etc. You will be amazed at how much you can get kids to do without all the electronics. When you get rid of that stuff, they are kids just like we used to be before all that. The 1st camp out I took the kids on, I let them take computers with them. 2 things happened: the batteries ran dead, and there was no internet reception. After that, there was no competition with electronics. Try it.

I’m involved with cub scouts. The book will give you ideas. Anything that is a contest will be fine. One time I had to give a lesson on flight and how airplanes work, so I brought in whiffle balls so they cold throw curve balls (taught them Bernoulli’s Principle). Put some effort into it, it’s the parents and their involvement that make or breaks a Pack.

Just be careful. Scouting is addictive. I started out as an involved parent. That led to den leader, webelos leader, cubmaster, assist scoutmaster, scoutmaster. I have 3 uniforms, $3K in camping equipment, been through woodbadge, and enjoyed every minute of it. Both my boys are eagles, with the youngest serving in the air force. I got 3 years before the grandbaby is old enough, and then I may go back through it all again. Like I said, scouting is addictive.

Johnson. Navin, R… sounds like a typical bastard.

I was involved with the Scouts for years. I had gone through the outdoors training from council and I or some other person with the training had to be present for any camp outs.

The thing was to get them into earning badges while they were camping. There are many activities like swimming, camping, hiking, orienteering, etc that get them out and moving. All the badges are listed in the handbook and the kids like getting something in return for doing something.

Neither of mine made Eagle in Boy Scouts, but man they each had a ton of badges. Plus with summer camp, they had to do a pretty tough swim class to be allowed to do the water activities.

Rob

[quote]Navin Johnson wrote:
I am nota den leader however I learned that I am in charge if educating, helping and having fun with health and fitness. What advice can I give for these youngsters that will hit home with them? I am looking for something that can be fun and rewarding. I am competing against video games and tv. Any positive replies are appreciated.[/quote]
Dude, this is like the third or fourth thread you’ve started about training kids. If you’re serious, it’s not all that complicated. If you’re not serious, it’s getting a little creepy.