CT's Return To Strength Training - Log

Due to some personal factors I decided to get back to strength training right now instead of in 11 weeks.

In fact I started last week. I’m up to 210lbs … I will probably work my way up to 220… as long as I have abs I can live with myself!

Here’s what I did so far

WORKOUT 1 - MAX EFFORT BENCH
A. Buffalo bar bench press with bungee bands: worked up to 335lbs. The bands provide an additional 70-80lbs at the top and the Buffalo bar adds around 2-3" to the range of motion.

B1. Close-grip bench press regular bar with bungee bands: 5 x 5 with 235lbs (again, the bands add 70-80lbs at the top)

B2. Jumpstretch band (green) triceps extension (band attached to the top of the power rack) 5 x max reps

C. Barbell rowing 3 x 5 with a close grip (worked up to 315lbs), 2 x 5 with a medium grip (worked up to 325lbs)

D. Power upright rowing 4 x 5 with 205lbs

WORKOUT 2 - EXTRA WORKOUT

A. Dumbbell triceps extension 3 x 15

B. Lat pulldown 3 x 15

C. Lateral raose 3 x 15

WORKOUT 3 - MAX EFFORT SQUAT

A. Box squat (wide stance, slightly below parallel) with 1 pair of green jumstretch bands: worked up to 465lbs (plus the bands)

B. Goodmorning 5 x 5 worked up to 295lbs

C1. Standing leg curl 5 x 5

C2. High pulley abs 5 x 12

D. Reverse hyper 5 x 5

WORKOUT 4 - DYNAMIC EFFORT BENCH

A. Speed bench press, regular bar, with bungee bands: 9 x 3 with 215lbs (3 close grip, 3 medium grip, 3 wide grip) 1 x 3 with 265lbs

B1. JM press 4 x 8

B2. Jumpstretch band triceps extension 4 x max

C1. “Bar in the corner” rowing 5 x 5, worked up to 315lbs (weight of bar not included)

C2. Pull ups 5 x max (7-10 reps)

D. Bradford press 3 x 10

WORKOUT 5 - DYNAMIC EFFORT SQUAT

A. Box squat 9 x 2 at 265lbs with green bands (3 wide stance, 3 medium stance, 3 close stance) 1 x 2 at 315

B. Dimel deadlift 3 x 15 at 225lbs

C. Jump squats 3 x 5 at 135lbs

D1. Leg curl 4 x 8

D2. High pulley crunch 4 x 12

WORKOUT 6 - EXTRA WORKOUT

A1. High pulley rear delts 5 x 8-12

A2. Seated row to the neck 5 x 8-12

B. Shrugs 5 x 5

That’s it so far…

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
C1. “Bar in the corner” rowing
[/quote]

Corner Rows, my man; it just flows off your tongue!

Glad to have you back to lifting heavy stuff.

Damn man, I’m drooling at those squat weights!

Do I remember you mentioning that you are built to squat? Regardless, that’s some sick weight!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]Mike Robertson wrote:
Damn man, I’m drooling at those squat weights!

Do I remember you mentioning that you are built to squat? Regardless, that’s some sick weight!

Stay strong
MR[/quote]

Yeah, I’m built to squat, but just about anybody in the world can kick my ass in the deadlift!!! Heck, we have a young lifter at the gym, tons of potential (former sprinter), the guy weights around 165lbs, only squats 350lbs (while my all-time best is 600lbs) but he deadlifts 485 which is almost the same as myself.

Short legs, long torso and short arms = bad deadlift!!!

[quote]Eric Cressey wrote:
Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
C1. “Bar in the corner” rowing

Corner Rows, my man; it just flows off your tongue!

Glad to have you back to lifting heavy stuff.[/quote]

Well it’s good to be back… I do love to look good nekkid, but bodybuilding was more or a former fatass fantasy than a true calling. I do intend to stay lean … there are lots of jacked powerlifters in the 198, 220 and 242lbs classes (Chuck V. comes to mind).

please keep this log updated, I always look forward to reading peoples’ strength training logs, but it will be especially interesting to see a T-Mag contributor post his own log.

Glad to have you back to training for real strength, not just freaky mass. Your work is highly valued here. Does this mean you will be writing some strength articles soon?

Strength and power is the way to go. When I first started lifting in the 80s even the bodybuilders were strong. These days I find myself alone in the squat rack.

Why did you change you mind regarding the BB contest?

CT,

now you’re training with the “MAX/DYNAMIC” effort style.

why don’t you use your “Pendulum powerlifting” program?

which one will help increase strength better? the one you use now or “pendulum powerlifting”??

Welcome back my man!

Those are some badass weights you’re playing with. You are the MAN.

I’m doing the 9 week beginner workout from Dave Tate. I’m really enjoying it. We’re on week 4 right now. I put up a 425 squat off a 10 1/2" box. That’s 10# more than my previous PR on a comp squat before the program. 13" is parallel for me.

We haven’t started working with bands yet, but I plan on ordering some soon. Can’t wait to catch your totals.

I weigh in at 194 at 5’9". I’ve gained 10 pounds in the last 5 weeks, but my waist is the same. Don’t have any pics, but I might be able to get some from the max days in a week or two. If nothing else, I’ll get pics on the 9 week max day.

CT, keep it up, and welcome back!

-folly

CT,

Admit it, you just wanted to go hit up a buffet. Just kidding. I thought you looked much cooler/awesomer without leg veins anyway.

Hope to see more strength related articles.

soco

CT, i appreciate your comments on your squatting/deadlifting comparison. it helps put into perspective my own strengths and weaknesses due to body shape. laters pk

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

Yeah, I’m built to squat, but just about anybody in the world can kick my ass in the deadlift!!! Heck, we have a young lifter at the gym, tons of potential (former sprinter), the guy weights around 165lbs, only squats 350lbs (while my all-time best is 600lbs) but he deadlifts 485 which is almost the same as myself.

Short legs, long torso and short arms = bad deadlift!!! [/quote]

Coach Thibaudeau,

When you have a deadlift type (tall, short torso) who needs to increase his squatting power, do you train him the same way as you would a squatting type, or do you use different methods?

I ask because I am fairly tall and have a fairly short torso, and I power clean about as much as I squat clean right now - a real leg power deficit. Dan John mentioned that front squats seem to be a better way for guys who don’t have a Weightlifter’s build to push up their squat clean. Do you agree with his opinion?

If this hijack is out of line, I apologize, and I wish you good luck in your training (although it doesn’t look like you need it).

Thanks for posting this log. It’s always interesting to see what people are doing instead of just the plans they have used in the past.

I’m using your shoulder overhaul plan right now and am about to start the intensification phase. After that 4 weeks I plan to go back to a Westside template mixed with alot of your ideas from your Black Book.

I just wanted to say thanks for being a great source for both information and motivation.

Good luck with the strength gains and please keep us updated.

Thanks

[quote]Ross Hunt wrote:
When you have a deadlift type (tall, short torso) who needs to increase his squatting power, do you train him the same way as you would a squatting type, or do you use different methods?
[/quote]

You’re in luck; Mike Robertson and I have been compiling some stuff on this very topic for a while. Keep an eye out for an article in the next few months.

[quote]Eric Cressey wrote:
Ross Hunt wrote:

You’re in luck; Mike Robertson and I have been compiling some stuff on this very topic for a while. Keep an eye out for an article in the next few months.[/quote]

All right! That’s music to my ears.

Ah HA! I just started in on westside for the squat/deadlift today while trying to peak my chin-up reps with your “keep your chin up” program. I just fixed a shoulder impingement so I wanted to really work on some back before I start putting much work in on pushing movements again.

On a side note: Can you tell me why the chinup program might cause my pecs to be soar? I found this really weird and I can’t think of anything else that might have caused this…

btw: Thanks a ton for all of the information that you share with us and good luck with your powerlifting.

[quote]Soco wrote:
CT,

Admit it, you just wanted to go hit up a buffet. Just kidding. I thought you looked much cooler/awesomer without leg veins anyway.

Hope to see more strength related articles.

soco[/quote]

Well that’s not entirely false! The GF and I are planning on doing some damage at a local buffet this Sunday (this is her cheat day).