T Nation

CT's Mutant Transformation - Part 1

I decided to start the routine from Christian's article, "Mutant Transformation - Part 1." The objective of this phase was "to increase muscle mass while maintaining the same amount of body fat," - my same goal for the next 6-7 months.

Here's what I need help with: why is it required to rest for a specific amount of time on certain exercises, then go back to the exercise you just completed and do the same number of sets again? For example, on Monday's routine, after 3 sets of 10 reps on decline cable pullovers, it says to rest 120 seconds before going back to decline cable pullovers and repeating for 3 sets before moving on to the next exercise. How is the method described in the article different than simply doing 6 sets of 10 reps on this exercise?

Thanks.

Link to the article??
The search function tends to suck abit here, plus I'm lazy..

or..

What is the normal rest period prescribed between sets?
My guess is it isn't 120 seconds??

So I guess that would be the difference? That you have to take 120 seconds between the first three and the last three sets, as opposed to what-ever the rest periods are between the sets usually?

I dunno, it all sounds abit weird to me. Maybe I'm stupid or something-
not taking anything away from CT, he's a great trainer,
but when I hear something as "complicated" as that in a program, I tend to stop reading.
I like to just keep it simple, I guess.

It took me ages to warm to the idea of doing ws4sb's, because it had super-sets.
Now that I'm doing it, I'm loving it...So, you know, whatever...

Post that link up, or wait for someone else who's actually done the program to reply, I guess.

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_mutation_series&cr=

I don't think I was as direct and as simple with my question in my first post as I could've been, so here it is again: We'll use Monday's routine as an example. What's the difference between doing 3 sets x 10 reps of decline cable pullovers, resting 120 sec. and then doing 3 more sets of decline cable pullovers vs. just doing sets across (6 sets x 10 reps)?

I think the following is the case, but I only did a fast skim.

The "A2" is a typo and should say "A1".

The difference is that they are super sets, not straight sets. So the workout goes:

Bent over barbell rows, 5 reps,
Pull-overs, 10 reps
Rest 120 sec
Bent over barbell rows, 5 reps
Pull-overs, 10 reps
Rest 120 sec
Bent over barbell rows, 5 reps
Pull-overs, 10 reps
Rest 120 sec

Then the next exercise (which is a similarly set up super set, so goes B1-B2-Rest-B1...).

Thanks, revchad. I can't remember the last time I included supersets in my workouts, so your input is certainly appreciated. Good call on the typo!