T Nation

CT's Cool Tip

Hammies key decelerators?!

My man, you’ve got some explaining to do 'cause I’m not seeing it. Quads would be a key decelerator. Hammies would only decelerate the leg as it swings foreward, not actually slow the foreward motion directly. I’d call it a secondary decelerator.

bump only cause this made me chuckle…

“Lucy you have some 'splaining to do”

[quote]on edge wrote:
I’d call it a secondary decelerator.[/quote]

Which is probably why you aren’t a sprint coach.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
on edge wrote:
I’d call it a secondary decelerator.

Which is probably why you aren’t a sprint coach.
[/quote]

Sounds like you must know. Go ahead and explain it to me. I don’t need to hear it from CT if you’ve got it.

[quote]on edge wrote:
jtrinsey wrote:
on edge wrote:
I’d call it a secondary decelerator.

Which is probably why you aren’t a sprint coach.

Sounds like you must know. Go ahead and explain it to me. I don’t need to hear it from CT if you’ve got it.[/quote]

Well you probably didn’t deserve a smartass remark. The hamstrings serve two functions, knee flexion AND hip extension. At top speeds, studies have shown the hamstrings to be the dominant hip extensor. Therefore, they are key for acceleration and deceleration, especially at top speeds.

Like said above another way to really get a grasp on the concept and feel it is go for some steep down hill walking or down hill running. The hams are HUGE in slowing you down they produce force to stop the motion slow you.

Same can be said for on flat ground and deceleration. they are applying not maximal force to cause an eccentric motion but a yeilding force to slow you.

I was under the impression Glutes’ were primary hip extensors. I think someone from the sport specific forum, (Bob Alejo maybe) mentioned that to me a few years back when I was a member. What stuides are you referring to?

Just curious

Pat

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
on edge wrote:
jtrinsey wrote:
on edge wrote:
I’d call it a secondary decelerator.

Which is probably why you aren’t a sprint coach.

Sounds like you must know. Go ahead and explain it to me. I don’t need to hear it from CT if you’ve got it.

Well you probably didn’t deserve a smartass remark. The hamstrings serve two functions, knee flexion AND hip extension. At top speeds, studies have shown the hamstrings to be the dominant hip extensor. Therefore, they are key for acceleration and deceleration, especially at top speeds.[/quote]

[quote]Tags wrote:
I was under the impression Glutes’ were primary hip extensors. I think someone from the sport specific forum, (Bob Alejo maybe) mentioned that to me a few years back when I was a member. What stuides are you referring to?

Just curious

Pat

jtrinsey wrote:
on edge wrote:
jtrinsey wrote:
on edge wrote:
I’d call it a secondary decelerator.

Which is probably why you aren’t a sprint coach.

Sounds like you must know. Go ahead and explain it to me. I don’t need to hear it from CT if you’ve got it.

Well you probably didn’t deserve a smartass remark. The hamstrings serve two functions, knee flexion AND hip extension. At top speeds, studies have shown the hamstrings to be the dominant hip extensor. Therefore, they are key for acceleration and deceleration, especially at top speeds.

[/quote]

Lemme see if I can find what I was referring to. At lower speeds the glutes are definitly dominant, but I’ve seen it referenced over at CF that hamstrings become dominant at the faster velocities.

Cool, I will await your reply. In the CFTS Charlie gives some km/hr number that the hamstrings operate at when at high velocities. Is that what you are referring to?

Cheers,
Pat

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
Tags wrote:
I was under the impression Glutes’ were primary hip extensors. I think someone from the sport specific forum, (Bob Alejo maybe) mentioned that to me a few years back when I was a member. What stuides are you referring to?

Just curious

Pat

jtrinsey wrote:
on edge wrote:
jtrinsey wrote:
on edge wrote:
I’d call it a secondary decelerator.

Which is probably why you aren’t a sprint coach.

Sounds like you must know. Go ahead and explain it to me. I don’t need to hear it from CT if you’ve got it.

Well you probably didn’t deserve a smartass remark. The hamstrings serve two functions, knee flexion AND hip extension. At top speeds, studies have shown the hamstrings to be the dominant hip extensor. Therefore, they are key for acceleration and deceleration, especially at top speeds.

Lemme see if I can find what I was referring to. At lower speeds the glutes are definitly dominant, but I’ve seen it referenced over at CF that hamstrings become dominant at the faster velocities.[/quote]

[quote]Tags wrote:
Cool, I will await your reply. In the CFTS Charlie gives some km/hr number that the hamstrings operate at when at high velocities. Is that what you are referring to?

Cheers,
Pat
[/quote]

Yeah, it doesn’t neccessarily say anything about the hams being the primary hip extensors though. Guess I just pulled that out of my ass… Lesson as always, I’m an idiot.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
Yeah, it doesn’t neccessarily say anything about the hams being the primary hip extensors though. Guess I just pulled that out of my ass… Lesson as always, I’m an idiot.
[/quote]

HaHa I think your being a bit too hard on yourself!

In all seriousness though, as someone who has suffered from a fair share of hamstring injuries, probably as a result of, among other things, using them as my main hip extensor, I thought it important that people dont neglect glute training/activation work.

To the OP, and this is just a personal point, I feel that having full mobility at the ankle/hip, and being able to absorb force thru the posterior chain is key to being able to not only declerate, but to quickly “turn it on” again in a change of direction, for example.

It’s kind of like jumping and landing. A “soft” ladning lends itself to more force being absrobed thru the posterior chain, whereas a
“loud” one may result from jabbing the foot and force going thru the quads.

Cheers,
Pat

[quote]Tags wrote:
In all seriousness though, as someone who has suffered from a fair share of hamstring injuries, probably as a result of, among other things, using them as my main hip extensor, I thought it important that people dont neglect glute training/activation work.
[/quote]

I feel you on that. I had the same problem, but after tons of glute activation I think I now have the opposite problem where my glutes are dominating and the hams are weak in relation to the glutes.

Birddogs = the shit

I don’t think you guys have addressed how the hams are key decelerators. I understand that they are knee flexors and hip extensors and I see those movements as excelerators. I see the quads and the hip flexors as the key decelerators.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
Birddogs = the shit[/quote]

haha yeah, you are right. So is statically stretching the hip flexors in between sets of glute work. It is tedious though, as you know.

Cheers

[quote]on edge wrote:
I don’t think you guys have addressed how the hams are key decelerators. I understand that they are knee flexors and hip extensors and I see those movements as excelerators. I see the quads and the hip flexors as the key decelerators.[/quote]

I thought I addressed it in one of my above posts. Key doesnt mean only. IMO, it is about absorbing force. If you plan to decelerate in the most effcient manner, than you have to absorb the force thru the the whole posterior chain (calves, glutes, hamstrings etc.) They are bigger/stronger muscles, and in the effect if you absorb the force thru them than you can propel further afterwards. Of course the quads and what not are involved in deceleration and running in general as well.

Hope that helps
Pat

I think it’s not just about the movements, but also stabilization. for example try stepping out like in a lunge at a fast pace. when you put your hand on your hams you will feel them contracting on and off to stabilize your knee joint.
Also when you twist and turn same thing happens again. The hamstrings stabilize the knee in about the same plane as the ACL.
about speed, you’ll need a stabilized knee before it can move on quikly.

Thomas

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
Lemme see if I can find what I was referring to. At lower speeds the glutes are definitly dominant, but I’ve seen it referenced over at CF that hamstrings become dominant at the faster velocities.[/quote]

You don’t need a damn study to back you up. If any of you guys have tried sprinting at top speed you’ll realize this is true. For example, when I’m going at moderate speed I purposely take long strides and feel my glutes taking over as the hip extensor. Finally, when reaching top speed my body instead of increasing my stride length, increases the “frequency” of my stride. That IS the powerful, swift thrust from the hamstrings.

-Serious