T Nation

CT's Bulgarian Program

Hi Coach,
I really liked your Bulgarian Program! I would like to give it a try but focused on the Olympic lifts.

I was thinking/wondering... Can I change A,B,C to a Snatch, a Clean and a Jerk variation with the same set/rep setup that you laid out? Keeping the full lifts on Saturdays and the D exercise for back the same.

Or should A be a Snatch variation, B a Clean and Jerk variation, and C a squat variation?

Thanks coach!

[quote]nateschmidt24 wrote:
Hi Coach,
I really liked your Bulgarian Program! I would like to give it a try but focused on the Olympic lifts.

I was thinking/wondering… Can I change A,B,C to a Snatch, a Clean and a Jerk variation with the same set/rep setup that you laid out? Keeping the full lifts on Saturdays and the D exercise for back the same.

Or should A be a Snatch variation, B a Clean and Jerk variation, and C a squat variation?

Thanks coach![/quote]

My original program was for the Olympic lifts, but regular strength lifts are more popular on T-nation.

It’s the exact same set-up… A is snatch variation B. is clean & jerk variation C. is squat variation and D. is a regular lift

Awesome thanks CT!
Would you recommend any extra snatch or clean high pulls after ABCD before the bodybuilding work? Or would pulls be used as one of the first exercises? I was thinking of using hang and pause versions of the Snatch/Clean & Jerk

Awesome thanks CT!
Would you recommend any extra snatch or clean high pulls after ABCD before the bodybuilding work? Or would pulls be used as one of the first exercises? I was thinking of using hang and pause versions of the Snatch/Clean & Jerk[/quote]

If you do pulls, the are the 4th exercise (instead of bodybuilding work) for sets of 5

So would something like this work for one of the three-week blocks?
Monday:
A) Hang Snatch from the knee 3RM
B) Hang Clean and Jerk (knee) 3RM
C) Front Squat 3 RM
D) Pull-ups 4 x 8-10
E) Bodybuilding for chest, delts, tripceps

Tuesday:
A,B,C same
D) Snatch Pulls sets of 5

Thurday:
A,B,C same
D) Clean Pulls sets of 5

Friday:
A,B,C same
D) Barbell Rows 4 x 8-10
E) Bodybuilding for lats, biceps

Saturday:
A) Snatch 3RM
B) Clean and Jerk 3RM
C) Front Squat 3 RM

I was thinking just alternating front and back squats each block, but I could add pauses at the bottom, or do overhead squats for a block also.

Thanks coach!

So would something like this work for one of the three-week blocks?
Monday:
A) Hang Snatch from the knee 3RM
B) Hang Clean and Jerk (knee) 3RM
C) Front Squat 3 RM
D) Pull-ups 4 x 8-10
E) Bodybuilding for chest, delts, tripceps

Tuesday:
A,B,C same
D) Snatch Pulls sets of 5

Thurday:
A,B,C same
D) Clean Pulls sets of 5

Friday:
A,B,C same
D) Barbell Rows 4 x 8-10
E) Bodybuilding for lats, biceps

Saturday:
A) Snatch 3RM
B) Clean and Jerk 3RM
C) Front Squat 3 RM

I was thinking just alternating front and back squats each block, but I could add pauses at the bottom, or do overhead squats for a block also.

Thanks coach![/quote]

Don’t forget that you don’t always ramp to a 3RM, only Monday and Saturday. I’m also not a huge fan of lifts from the hang. I prefer paused lifts. Lift the bar from the floor to below the knees, pause 2 seconds, then lift. This is what I do when I do “hang” work. A hang starting from the top is very different in structure and coordination to the lifts from the floor.

The only time I use true hang work is with crossfit athletes because lifts from the hang are often in the competitive WODs, and athletes who don’t need to master the full lifts.

"I prefer paused lifts. Lift the bar from the floor to below the knees, pause 2 seconds, then lift. "

That’s smart. You do that for every rep?

[quote]domcib wrote:
"I prefer paused lifts. Lift the bar from the floor to below the knees, pause 2 seconds, then lift. "

That’s smart. You do that for every rep?[/quote]

If that’s the planned exercise. For example when I or someone focusing pon being good at the Olympic lifts (not someone using the Olympic lifts to be good at something else) program “lifts from the hang” I do all reps from the floor but paused where I want the hang top be (below knees, above knees, power position). Much more specific to the actual lifts.

I personally do not do traditional lifts from the hang where you start standing up and lower the bar to the knees.

How would you use olympic lifts for people who train for something else (say all-round athleticism)?
Would hang position be good? Maybe from blocks for explosiveness?

[quote]Panopticum wrote:
How would you use olympic lifts for people who train for something else (say all-round athleticism)?
Would hang position be good? Maybe from blocks for explosiveness?[/quote]

Stick to the “power” variations from the hang or blocks. Easier technically and doesn’t require as much mobility.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]domcib wrote:

If that’s the planned exercise. For example when I or someone focusing pon being good at the Olympic lifts (not someone using the Olympic lifts to be good at something else) program “lifts from the hang” I do all reps from the floor but paused where I want the hang top be (below knees, above knees, power position). Much more specific to the actual lifts.

I personally do not do traditional lifts from the hang where you start standing up and lower the bar to the knees.[/quote]
whoah. holymoly. i never thought about that. so simple. Thats always the case. Overlook the obvious. I always just lifted the first rep, then dropped from the hang. I guess i got the stretch reflex or something going.
Your way is effectively from a dead start. Sometimes i wish i was 40 years younger. Or at least still coaching.

[quote]domcib wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]domcib wrote:

I personally do not do traditional lifts from the hang where you start standing up and lower the bar to the knees.[/quote]
whoah. holymoly. i never thought about that. so simple. Thats always the case. Overlook the obvious. I always just lifted the first rep, then dropped from the hang. I guess i got the stretch reflex or something going.
Your way is effectively from a dead start. Sometimes i wish i was 40 years younger. Or at least still coaching.
[/quote]

And if someone wants to be good from the floor, this method is more effective as it allows you to focus on doing the first pull properly (pulling the knees back and the bar into the base of support). Whereas lifts from the hang actually teach bad habits because most people are in a position (in the hang) that is unlike any position in an actual lift from the floor.

At one point I could hang power clean 155kg for 5 reps and barely did 160x1 from the floor.

Thanks coach!