Cthulhu - The Movie

Anybody else a Lovecraft fan?

Do you think the movie will capture the essence of his flavor of horror for the macabre and unknown?

http://www.cthulhuthemovie.com/

It depends, I thought Reanimator was good, eventhough it a story that Lovecraft hated himself.

In terms of his ‘mythology’, I’m not sure. But I thought Hellboy was good and a lot of those elements are two degrees removed from Lovecraft.

I think that it could be done, but I’m not sure mainstream audiences would dig it.

There’s an older flick called “In the Mouth of Madness” that was every Cthulhu-ish. If there’s a new Cthulhu movie commin out I think it would need shitloads of FX.

The trailer is extremely eerie; it certainly caught my attention…until Tori Spelling spoiled it.

Damn Tori.

[quote]Miserere wrote:
The trailer is extremely eerie; it certainly caught my attention…until Tori Spelling spoiled it.

Damn Tori.[/quote]

But did you notice she’s finally got rid of the fat-face syndrome? Drew Barrymore’s been trying for years and still no luck. Props must be handed out when deserved.

another horror flick, yawn.

Weak

Hurry up and make a sequel to Freddy vs Jason or at least another Friday the 13th.

In my opinion, they completely ruined the movie. It is nothing like the H.P. Lovecraft book and is full of lousy actors. Just what we need. A bunch of young directors who read a Lovecraft book for an hour then make a film about it. He’s probably rolling over in his grave right about now.

I’ll see it.

My favorite Lovecraft-inspired movie is Cast A Deadly Spell starring Fred Ward and David Warner. (Guess which one plays the bad guy?)

My husband, son and I play a great role-playing board game called Arkham Horror. Loads of fun trying to keep the Elder Gods from waking up and destroying the world.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
In my opinion, they completely ruined the movie. It is nothing like the H.P. Lovecraft book and is full of lousy actors. Just what we need. A bunch of young directors who read a Lovecraft book for an hour then make a film about it. He’s probably rolling over in his grave right about now.[/quote]

But I’ll still see it even though I’m with you on this.

[quote]jawara wrote:
There’s an older flick called “In the Mouth of Madness” that was every Cthulhu-ish. If there’s a new Cthulhu movie commin out I think it would need shitloads of FX. [/quote]

That is one of my favorite movies!
“In the Mouth of Madness” and “The Thing” - John Carpenter at his finest.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
In my opinion, they completely ruined the movie. It is nothing like the H.P. Lovecraft book and is full of lousy actors. Just what we need. A bunch of young directors who read a Lovecraft book for an hour then make a film about it. He’s probably rolling over in his grave right about now.[/quote]

Where is Hitchcock when you really need him?

As for the movie, I’ll go see it. I won’t hold my breath for it to be critically acclaimed. I know there are a lot of other stories that would have been better to put on film. Shit, so many are rolling around in my head, I can’t pull them apart.

Creatures from other dimensions, Yog-Sothoth, Arkham, Providence and Red Hook, not to mention the Necromicon. Gheez, I’m gonna have to read them all over again to get them straight. :slight_smile:

I didn’t see any giant, slimy, primeval tentacled abomination in that trailer, just a bunch of bleary-eyed kids doing emo things. Where’s the focus? That big box of people on the beach had better be food for an unholy sea monster that isn’t being shown to build suspense.

[quote]Tulkastaldo wrote:
That big box of people on the beach had better be food for an unholy sea monster that isn’t being shown to build suspense.[/quote]

But…they showed Tori Spelling already.

[quote]kroby wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
In my opinion, they completely ruined the movie. It is nothing like the H.P. Lovecraft book and is full of lousy actors. Just what we need. A bunch of young directors who read a Lovecraft book for an hour then make a film about it. He’s probably rolling over in his grave right about now.

Where is Hitchcock when you really need him?

As for the movie, I’ll go see it. I won’t hold my breath for it to be critically acclaimed. I know there are a lot of other stories that would have been better to put on film. Shit, so many are rolling around in my head, I can’t pull them apart.

Creatures from other dimensions, Yog-Sothoth, Arkham, Providence and Red Hook, not to mention the Necromicon. Gheez, I’m gonna have to read them all over again to get them straight. :)[/quote]

I’m drooling over the thought of a well filmed Necromicon, that would be amazing…

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Tulkastaldo wrote:
That big box of people on the beach had better be food for an unholy sea monster that isn’t being shown to build suspense.

But…they showed Tori Spelling already.[/quote]

Ha!Ha!