T Nation

CT, What Do You Think of This Setup?

Hi CT

does this look like a good setup for a program

push/pull/legs off push/pull/legs off repeat.

A.One compound lift 5-4-3-2-1 OR 6-6-6-3-2-1
B. one assistance lift 4-6sets of 6-8 reps
C.one lift to build weakest muscle 50 reps total for chosen exercise(in few sets as possible)
D. optional isolation work go by feel
E. form of carries 4-6 for varying distance (depending on goal)

after 4 weeks the main lift is changed OR the rep scheme is changed.
assistance changes ever 2 or 3 weeks.
muscle building can change every week.

thanks coach!

I've done that myself and it works only on the short term. 3 on/1 of when focusing on strength and hard training is too much. After 3 or 4 weeks (if you are lucky) you will crash.

2 on/1 off is the best you can do with that type of training.

So you would just roll through the sessions

For example:

Push
Pull
OFF
Legs
Push
OFF
Pull
Legs
OFF
Push
Pull
OFF
etc.

You CAN use a 3 on/1 off/2 on/1 off split BUT the first workout in the 3 on rotation would need to be a less demanding session.

Too much in my experience. It is similar to how I'm training. But you are doing more. For example I do 2 strength lifts per session BUT I count loaded carries as a strength lift. So I do loaded carries in a session I only do 1 strength lift.

The rest is fine, but from experience the two main schemes you mention (5-4-3-2-1, 6-6-6-3-2-1) can be sustained for 3 or 4 weeks before changing to something less demanding.

Thanks CT.

My biggest weakness is doing too much in the gym, I really have to try to hold myself back and convince myself I won't lose strength or muscle. It really holds me back.

Inbetween cycles of heavier lifting like the 54321, could you do 4 weeks of a high frequency lifting (like look like a body builder) with the exercises you then intend to use for the next 54321 cycle.