CT Prime Time

I posted this in MR’s thread and was just curious what you thought as well. Thanks to both of you for responding.

It’s been 2 months since I’ve been to the gym due to asthmatic bronchitis/lung infections, etc…

I’m not sure where I should “jump back in”??? Any ideas??? BTW, I’ve been training on and off for 15 yrs and am relatively knowledgeable about the Iron Game. Any programs on the site I should try??? Thanks

Too much total frequency IMHO. I’m not saying that it cannot be done. But that’s one helluva workload. At one time you have 6 straight workout days, and only 1 rest day during the week. You might be able to handle this for 1-2 weeks, but unless you are using an hefty amount of anabolics, you will get nowhere with that schedule.

Now, frequency can be that high, however daily volume needs to be adjusted downward in that case. High frequency/low volume training is best suited to strength and power training. With bodybuilding training it’s hard to train that frequently and still progress. I recommend at least 2 “OFF” days per week, preferably 3.

[quote]JDavid wrote:
Hi CT,

Is the following a good schedule for bodybuilding accumulation and intensification blocks of training:

Monday: Legs and abs
Tuesday: Chest, triceps, anterior/lateral deltoid
Wednesday: Back, biceps, posterior deltoid
Thursday: Off
Friday: Legs and abs
Saturday: Chest, triceps, anterior/lateral deltoid
Sunday: Back, biceps, posterior deltoid

Thanks,

David[/quote]

I just started the ovt program and it is just well ITS KICKING MY ASS!!!
what a program wow!!! thanks!!!
also my question is due to work schedules my off days dont always fall in place how critical is this?
Im able to keep the working days in the correct order but instead of one day off
due to work I take 2 days off and then back to the program, etc.
will this greatly affect the overall program

[quote]bullddogg wrote:
I just started the ovt program and it is just well ITS KICKING MY ASS!!!
what a program wow!!! thanks!!!
also my question is due to work schedules my off days dont always fall in place how critical is this?
Im able to keep the working days in the correct order but instead of one day off
due to work I take 2 days off and then back to the program, etc.
will this greatly affect the overall program[/quote]

No, in fact it may even be more effective to take more rst days than what the original program calls for.

thanks for the reponse I will hold off for now on the book. Would using your athletic training pendulumn and the continum articles be the best bet for an athlete, more specifically a baseball player?

Also when using the Haris Benedict Formula should someone who is overweight use their lean body mass for the calculation instead of just body mass?

A third question if you dont mind is in most of your writers, from what I gather you dont like using undulating periodization or at least not as much as other methods is that correct.

One last final question I was looking into doing some density weight training in order to speed up fat loss. Would this be best to do during an intensification phase, or might I be better off using a calorie cycling technique while using a pendulumn style approach. I saved a post you made a little while ago where you suggested ingesting above mainteance on hypertrophy weeks and below on power weeks and below or mainteance on strength weeks. Would either route be more beneficial over the other. I am trying to lose a fair amount of fat mass

thanks again

[quote]brotzfrog10 wrote:
One last question for tonight I think. Do you believe in training muscle movements and if so how would your break them up? Upper push, Upper pull or do you break them done even more into horizontal pull/push[/quote]

I use various types of schedules depending on the goal of the athlete. The types of split I’m most fond of are:

1. whole body split

Day 1: whole body concentric emphasis
Day 2: whole body eccentric emphasis
Day 3: whole body either isometric or explosive emphasis

1. upper/lower body split

Day 1: upper body strength
Day 2: lower body strength
Day 4: upper body power (or hypertrophy)
Day 5: lower body power (or hypertrophy)

1. upper/lower body split 2

Day 1: upper body horizontal
Day 2: lower body quads
Day 3: upper body vertical
Day 4: lower body hipŝ

1. Antagonists split

Day 1: Quads/Hams
Day 2: Chest/Back
Day 3: Anterior, lateral and rear delts
Day 4: Biceps/Triceps

I also wanted to mention while reading your ovt program the pictures of your transformation gave me hope.
what I mean is your before pictures is excactly what I look like and have for many years. so I’m in my first week of ovt and man is it great i’m having fun again and feeling results, I am looking foward to great gains, and losses.
thank you
Bulldogg

How might one obtain a copy of CT’s books?
Thanks

thanks for the reponse I will hold off for now on the book. Would using your athletic training pendulumn and the continum articles be the best bet for an athlete, more specifically a baseball player?
[/quote]

It depends on the phase of training. The athletic pendulum is adequate for the early preparation period while the power continuum is best for the late preparation period.

Also when using the Haris Benedict Formula should someone who is overweight use their lean body mass for the calculation instead of just body mass?
[/quote]

The original formula is based on body weight, that how it’s standardized. Obviously you can adjust calories slightly, maybe 5-10% more for lean individuals (under 10%) and 5-10% less for fat individuals (over 20%).

A third question if you dont mind is in most of your writers, from what I gather you dont like using undulating periodization or at least not as much as other methods is that correct.
[/quote]

Not true … the accumulation/intensification rotation that I use can be considered undulating periodization.

One last final question I was looking into doing some density weight training in order to speed up fat loss. Would this be best to do during an intensification phase, or might I be better off using a calorie cycling technique while using a pendulumn style approach. I saved a post you made a little while ago where you suggested ingesting above mainteance on hypertrophy weeks and below on power weeks and below or mainteance on strength weeks. Would either route be more beneficial over the other. I am trying to lose a fair amount of fat mass

thanks again

[/quote]

Use diet and energy system work to lose fat and strength training to build/maintain muscle mass.

Coach Thibaudeau,
I’ve been lifting for a little over a year now but have been only squatting (and supporting lifts no upper body lifts) because I just fell in love with the squat and we kind of had a competition thing at our gym. As a result my body has the light bulb effect syndrome except my light bulb is upside down. So I’m looking for a plan that will allow me to get max hypertrophy in my upper body. I’m planning on just doing maintenance at the most on my lower body. I was looking into your program:

“Emphasis Training for Advanced Physique Enhancement”

I was also looking at:
Chad’s “Perfect 10”:
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=725763

But all in all I was wondering what routine would you recommend for maximum upper body hypertrophy? If you suggest “Emphasis Training for Advanced Physique Enhancement” is there any way I could specialize it for more hypertrophy reasons (ex: Different reps?)?
Thanks!
RetailBoy

Hi CT: Question is this. I was re-reading your Beast Evolves article. I was interested in your nutrition. Obviously it would be impossible for you to break down your entire food log, but I was interested in how you ate 450g of protein without a single gram of carbs. Also, besides pure fat such as flax and fish, how would you get around the few carbs found in basically any food?

I was on the fat fast diet before Velocity Diet came out and even with Low-Carb Grow! I still inevitably ate some carbs. Could you give a little insight?

Also, you consumed 10g of creatine. Do you think that was beneficial, or just sort of tossed in there? Also, why add CLA?

Thanks much.

Hey CT, I have a problem with power cleans. I’m unable to stick my elbows forward due to my forearms, which are so long that I can touch my wrist to my shoulder. What should I do since I’m unable to rack the bar?

Hi. i am a discus thrower and almost all i do is power-strenth-speed workouts, I was wondering what are some good methods of recovery from such a workout. i have read the article on 7 steps to recovery, but i’m unsure how to apply it to the workouts i do. i lift/plyos/medicine ball three times a week and the other days are spent throwing and cross-trainging. should i use different methods of recovery for each day? thanks!

Hey CT.

What would you say are some average poundages (squat, dead, bench, or even oly lifts) being put up by your hockey players at the professional level?

CT,
I am working with a co-worker who is your classic 98 pound weakling; part of me wants to start him on a 5x5 program, but I also think that he would benifit from some GPP (sled dragging, and sprints) with a few (2) lifts per session. Which way would you go ?
Thanks
Will42

CT,
Generally speaking should growing pre-teen athletes (12y rs old) use higher reps (8-10) or fewer reps (5-6) in their training?
Thanks for your time
Will42

Will, dunno what CT’s views on this are, but a mate of mine sounds similar, and he’s just asked me to help him out a bit. To begin with I have just got him doing bodyweight exercises. My reasoning was that this will develop a level of work capacity and at the same time force him to think about how his body works. I then read Alwyn Cosgroves 7 habits article and he recommends the same thing, albeit for slightly different reasons.

[quote]Will42 wrote:
CT,
Generally speaking should growing pre-teen athletes (12y rs old) use higher reps (8-10) or fewer reps (5-6) in their training?
Thanks for your time
Will42[/quote]

Will, young kids should stick to higher reps. Probably even higher than 8-10.

I work as the head strength coach of sport school and have over 450 kids to train, many of them being 10-14 years of age. I have them stick to sets of 12-15 for the first 3 months of training. I use compound movements, but no movement where the bar is held on the shoulders.

Bodyweight exercises, both dynamic and static are also used.

Never go below 8 reps until the kid has accumulated at least 2 years of proper training.

[quote]Mowgli wrote:
Hey CT.

What would you say are some average poundages (squat, dead, bench, or even oly lifts) being put up by your hockey players at the professional level?

[/quote]

They don’t max out, the lower they go as far as reps is 3. I’ve had a few players power clean (from hang) over 265lbs x 3, two cleaned 315lbs x 3.

Most can squat in the 385-455lbs range for 3 (full squat) with a best of 565 x 3 and deadlift in the 400-500lbs range, although I had one deadlift over 600lbs.

The bench press is generally a bit weaker because we don’t emphasise it too much. Most will do between 275-325 x 3.

[quote]RJ24 wrote:
Hey CT, I have a problem with power cleans. I’m unable to stick my elbows forward due to my forearms, which are so long that I can touch my wrist to my shoulder. What should I do since I’m unable to rack the bar? [/quote]

Try using a slightly wider grip.