T Nation

CT Prime Time

I’m here once again to help you progress in your quest for knowledge!

CT kindly name all the books relating to strength training and the human body that are on your bookshelf as we speak

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
CT kindly name all the books relating to strength training and the human body that are on your bookshelf as we speak[/quote]

Really??? I have many, but also many more that some friends borrowed. In my shelf right now I have over 50 books, it would be too long to list them all.

CT -

Your stuff is great and been most helpful. Question: for a female trainee who has been working out for a few years but cannot develop the “tear drop” area on the quad, or at least is having some roadblocks, do you have any suggestions to help with this problem?

Thanks for your awesome advice

In your first book you show us how you assess the flexibility of internal/external rotation for the shoulder. How far does your client need to get their wrist/hand to be considered to have adequate flexibility, (all the way to the table?)?

Thanks,

Danny

CT -

Sorry to spoil the surprise of the powerlifting article. My bad!

I must admit I’m excited to read it, though. Good luck!

Stay strong
MR

Christian, do you have a website?

[quote]springbok wrote:
CT -

Your stuff is great and been most helpful. Question: for a female trainee who has been working out for a few years but cannot develop the “tear drop” area on the quad, or at least is having some roadblocks, do you have any suggestions to help with this problem?

Thanks for your awesome advice [/quote]

This is common in many women. Single legged exercises such as bulgarian squats, lunges, split squats, etc. Are very effective in that regard. Including an isometric pause of 3-5 sec. per reps when the knee is at 90 degrees can also be very helpful.

[quote]KINE wrote:
Christian, do you have a website?[/quote]

Nope, I have hardly the time to have a life right now… much less a web site :slight_smile:

Hey Chris
I am currently trying to loose fat while gaining a bit of muscle. First I thought it to be impossible, and then I read you’re mutation articles. The thing is that I love you’re OVT program but it takes me roughly an hour and a half to get over such workouts leaving me with the strength of a 2 year old. I was just wondering is such a strainius program good to combine with a hypo caloric diet or am I heading to a path of over training? so far it has been working :slight_smile:

CT,
I want to progress from the power snatch to a full squat snatch but Im having a hard time increasing the flexibility in my shoulders to hold the bar over head in the full squat position.

Hi CT,

A fellow trainer and I were having a discussion this morning on the merits of training in destablized environments (using balance disks, Swiss balls, etc.) in order to increase CNS efficiency. Not to increase “core” strength or for “balance” training, but specifically to enhance CNS efficiency.

He and another trainer here at my club are fans of using NASM protocols in which one supersets a destablized exercise (such as lunging onto a stablility disc) with a more stablized exercise (sadly, these two are fans of Smith machine squats as a superset). He’s a big fan of using destablization (mainly in the form of unstable surface vs. unilateral work) and claims it will “make the body use more muscle fiber” or something along those lines. I didn’t so much argue with him, but listened and suggested different loads/volume/exercise selection to train various fiber/motor unit types.

What are your thoughts on this technique?

[quote]ELGRANPAPI wrote:
Hey Chris
I am currently trying to loose fat while gaining a bit of muscle. First I thought it to be impossible, and then I read you?re mutation articles. The thing is that I love you?re OVT program but it takes me roughly an hour and a half to get over such workouts leaving me with the strength of a 2 year old. I was just wondering is such a strainius program good to combine with a hypo caloric diet or am I heading to a path of over training?
[/quote]

Full blown OVT is not the best solution while being hypo caloric. You can used the abridged version with a lot of success though. The main modification is that you perform supersets (post-fatigue) only for the last 1-2 sets of an exercises.

For example…

Bench press
Sets 1,2 and 3 are performed for 5 reps as a stand alone exercise.

For set 4 you perform the 5 reps and immediately afterwards you perform one set of an isolation exercise (cross-over, cable flies, etc.).

So for each execise you are only performing 1 or 2 “true OVT” sets plus 2-3 regular sets.

[quote]KINE wrote:
CT,
I want to progress from the power snatch to a full squat snatch but Im having a hard time increasing the flexibility in my shoulders to hold the bar over head in the full squat position.[/quote]

The first step is to master the overhead squat. With a snatch grip, hold the bar above your head and squat down. Do not try to perform a full snatch until you can perform a few quality reps with your bodyweight. Ideally you should strive to work up to handling your bodyweight in sets of 10 in overhead squats. But that is a pretty lofty goal. Aiming for 5-6 reps with a bit less than your bodyweight might be more realistic.

hi there tonight chris, thanks for taking questions. I just recently purchased your book theory and application of strength and power methods, and i have to say the book is extrememly informative and through. However alot of the info was over my headed. I was wondering if your black book of training secrets would be more appriopate for me. I am studying exercise science in college,just started this semester, and i am looking to lose some body fat while also hopefully getting ready for baseball in the spring/summer. Would your book be of better value for me.

Also while I have you what are some tid bits you could offer me as far as preparing. Should I really focus my training on the force velocity curve, as you outlined in your first continum article. Secondliy i was wondering if there were things in either of your books that you would not use as frequently anymore if at all. I know in another prime time session you mentioned not using tempo and also though eccentric training to be an advance training technique, which could be you should not use it as frequently as other methods. thanks again for taking questions.

CT,

Thanks for all the kick ass info you continually dish out. I always learn something new from you and I greatly appreciate it.
I have been diagnosed with an inguinal hernia and will have the surgery to repair it in the coming months. What would be the best way to use the Compex unit while I recover to minimize the losses in mass and strength?

Thanks!

hey CT
What program would you recommend for a brachiomorph? I’m 6’ 185 lbs about 12% bf. I’d like to add 15 lbs or so. My calves and forearms are especially stubborn.
thanks
GZ

Hi CT,

Is the following a good schedule for bodybuilding accumulation and intensification blocks of training:

Monday: Legs and abs
Tuesday: Chest, triceps, anterior/lateral deltoid
Wednesday: Back, biceps, posterior deltoid
Thursday: Off
Friday: Legs and abs
Saturday: Chest, triceps, anterior/lateral deltoid
Sunday: Back, biceps, posterior deltoid

Thanks,

David

The Black Book is more basic and easier to understand. It is still a good book, but I consider it somewhat outdated compared to my other work.

I’m working on a new book which is basically the happy medium between both books. I have completed 7 chapters. Don’t know when it will be available though.

[quote]brotzfrog10 wrote:
hi there tonight chris, thanks for taking questions. I just recently purchased your book theory and application of strength and power methods, and i have to say the book is extrememly informative and through. However alot of the info was over my headed. I was wondering if your black book of training secrets would be more appriopate for me. I am studying exercise science in college,just started this semester, and i am looking to lose some body fat while also hopefully getting ready for baseball in the spring/summer. Would your book be of
better value for me.

Also while I have you what are some tid bits you could offer me as far as preparing. Should I really focus my training on the force velocity curve, as you outlined in your first continum article. Secondliy i was wondering if there were things in either of your books that you would not use as frequently anymore if at all. I know in another prime time session you mentioned not using tempo and also though eccentric training to be an advance training technique, which could be you should not use it as frequently as other methods. thanks again for taking questions.[/quote]

One last question for tonight I think. Do you believe in training muscle movements and if so how would your break them up? Upper push, Upper pull or do you break them done even more into horizontal pull/push