CT Prime Time Sept 13 & 14

Lets get it on with the killing!!

Thib,
Just curious what kind of training you are doing now? Powerlifting? Bodybuilding? Powerbuilding? Haven’t heard anything about it lately.

[quote]binford wrote:
Thib,
Just curious what kind of training you are doing now? Powerlifting? Bodybuilding? Powerbuilding? Haven’t heard anything about it lately.[/quote]

I’d say more of a powerbuilding routine. I’m using 3 exercises per body part, one in the 4-6 reps range, 1 in the 6-8 reps range and 1 in the 8-10 reps range.

What’s you opinion of using rep schemes such as 10 to 12 sets of 3-5 reps during an accumulation phase?

What i’m thinking of doing is two workouts a day
workout 1- 10-12x3-5
Workout 2- 3-5x8-10

Hey CT!

I am planning my next training cycle right now and want to focus on increasing my power clean and my bench press.

Would these two goals fit well with the guidelines presented in your emphasis training article?

Thank you!
-Mike

[quote]binford wrote:
What’s you opinion of using rep schemes such as 10 to 12 sets of 3-5 reps during an accumulation phase?

What i’m thinking of doing is two workouts a day
workout 1- 10-12x3-5
Workout 2- 3-5x8-10[/quote]

Accumulation is about total volume. So if you up the sets, you can perform low reps. The sets shouldn’t be maximal though. if you perform 3-6 reps, use a weight for which you’d have 1-2 reps left in the tank.

I would use around 80% of my max, and for the first 7-8 sets i do have a couple reps left, but for the last few sets they are pretty close to maximal. Is this ok?

Hello:

Thanks for your reply in regards to the Pierre Roy System. In terms of the HTT system should I follow the time frames you had stated for the Pierre Roy system for the exercises.

Deshawn

[quote]MJT wrote:
Hey CT!

I am planning my next training cycle right now and want to focus on increasing my power clean and my bench press.

Would these two goals fit well with the guidelines presented in your emphasis training article?

Thank you!
-Mike[/quote]

While you can focus on 2 muscle groups during a specialization program, it’s best to focus on only one strength lift.

I would suggest 4 weeks of power clean focus and 4 weeks of bench press focus.

Something like…

Monday = DAY 1
Tuesday = DAY 2
Wednesday = DAY 3
Thursday = OFF
Friday = DAY 4
Saturday = DAY 5
Sunday = OFF

BLOCK 1 - Power clean

DAY 1
Power clean from blocks 4-5 x 4-6 reps
Clean pull from hang 4-5 x 4-6 reps
Deadlift and shrug 3-4 x 6-8 reps

DAY 2
Bench press 4-5 x 4-6 reps
Barbell rowing 3-4 x 6-8 reps
Lat pulldown 3-4 x 6-8 reps
Military press 3-4 x 6-8 reps

DAY 3
Power clean from hang 4-5 x 4-6 reps
Clean pull from blocks 4-5 x 4-6 reps
Romanian deadlift 3-4 x 6-8 reps

DAY 4
Back squat 4-5 x 4-6 reps
Barbell curl 3-4 x 6-8 reps
Reverse curl 3-4 x 6-8 reps
Close-grip bench 3-4 x 6-8 reps
Triceps pushdown 2-3 x 10-12 reps

DAY 5
Power clean from floor 4-5 x 2-4 reps
1/2 Deadlift from blocks 4-5 x 2-4 reps
Power shrugs 3-4 x 6-8 reps

BLOCK 2 - Bench press

DAY 1
Bench press 4-5 x 4-6 reps
Close-grip bench 4-5 x 4-6 reps
Seated dumbbell press 3-4 x 6-8 reps
Dumbbell triceps extension 3-4 x 6-8 reps

DAY 2
Back squat 4-5 x 4-6 reps
Power clean from floor 4-5 x 2-4 reps
Clean pull from blocks 4-5 x 4-6 reps
Barbell rowing 3-4 x 6-8 reps

DAY 3
Decline bench press 4-5 x 2-4 reps
1/2 bench press in power rack 4-5 x 2-4 reps
Nosebreaker 3-4 x 6-8 reps
Military press 3-4 x 6-8 reps

DAY 4
Lat pulldown 3-4 x 6-8 reps
Seated rowing 3-4 x 6-8 reps
Hammer curl 3-4 x 6-8 reps
Preacher curl 3-4 x 6-8 reps

DAY 5
Bench press 6-8 x 1-2
Incline bench 3-4 x 6-8
Dips 3-4 x 6-8 reps

Do you have any recommendations for EMS units other than Compex? $800-$900 is pretty expensive. Are there any other models that are cheaper but still effective?

What are your thoughts on jump pads to test vertical leap? Are they worth the expense or just hi-tech “toys”?

Thanks

Hi CT.

In about 2 weeks, after school has started back up, I plan on reintroducing two rock climbing days, a long bike ride day, and a gpp day (including power cleans/snatches and/or sprinting) every week. I also may have beginning gymnastics twice per week (grad students have lower priority for getting into PE classes).

I’ve been doing a 3 day/week full body workout plan recently.

What would you recommend for a lifting plan in order to avoid overtraining?

[quote]deshawn wrote:
Hello:

Thanks for your reply in regards to the Pierre Roy System. In terms of the HTT system should I follow the time frames you had stated for the Pierre Roy system for the exercises.

Deshawn[/quote]

The original Pierre Roy system focused on one lift per training. For example, it had 1 snatch workout, 1 clean workout, 1 jerk workout. Since he normally used 6 weekly workouts, each lift was trained twice a week.

A sample schedule could look like this:

DAY 1
Power snatch from floor
Snatch pull from blocks
Snatch-grip deadlift from floor
Overhead squat

DAY 2
Push jerk
Push press
Front squat
Bench press

DAY 3
Power clean from floor
Clean pull from blocks
Deadlift from floor
Shrugs

DAY 4
Power snatch from hang
Snatch pull from floor
Behind the neck snatch-grip press

DAY 5
Split jerk
Back squat
Military press
Incline bench press

DAY 6
Power clean from blocks
Clean pull from hang
Deadlift and shrugs from floor

[quote]binford wrote:
I would use around 80% of my max, and for the first 7-8 sets i do have a couple reps left, but for the last few sets they are pretty close to maximal. Is this ok?[/quote]

Yes, as long as you can complete all sets with perfect form and not feel drained afterwards.

Thanks CT, I really appreciate you typing that all up… that is awesome!
-Mike

Hello:

I dont mean to ask for too much. How many sets and reps for each day. Thanks

Deshawn

The original Pierre Roy system focused on one lift per training. For example, it had 1 snatch workout, 1 clean workout, 1 jerk workout. Since he normally used 6 weekly workouts, each lift was trained twice a week.

A sample schedule could look like this:

DAY 1
Power snatch from floor
Snatch pull from blocks
Snatch-grip deadlift from floor
Overhead squat

DAY 2
Push jerk
Push press
Front squat
Bench press

DAY 3
Power clean from floor
Clean pull from blocks
Deadlift from floor
Shrugs

DAY 4
Power snatch from hang
Snatch pull from floor
Behind the neck snatch-grip press

DAY 5
Split jerk
Back squat
Military press
Incline bench press

DAY 6
Power clean from blocks
Clean pull from hang
Deadlift and shrugs from floor
[/quote]

Thib,

In your experience, what is the minimum level of stimulation required to maintain limit strength over a 4-6 week period, and over long term. I realize that it is individually based, but it would be helpful to get a guideline. Right now I’m doing something similar to your “Diff. Destinations, Diff Journeys” 6 workout/week program. I’d like to concentrate on deadlift/squat and maintain my bench.

Ok, I suppose this is a separate question. I have recently discovered that one of my buddies has passed me in the deadlift. This sucks, considering I taught him about good mornings, proper form, max/dynamic efforts, and overhead squats, etc, etc. I intend to fix the problem.

So, if you had 6 days to work out, and an “impossible goal” to achieve with everything else non-existant (save health), how would you do it?

Let’s say, increase the DL by 100lb by New Years. Ok, that’s a bit out there, how about 150lb by June? With minimal weight gain.

Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate your earlier help on the functional 6 day/week program a great deal, and I still plan do keep at that, but first I’m bound and determined to catch him and pass him now. All the stops are out.

For strength, 25-30 weekly reps above 85% would be enough to maintain strength. So if you train the bench press once a week, you can perform:

5 x 5
or
4-5 x 6
or
6 x 4
or
10 x 3

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Thib,

In your experience, what is the minimum level of stimulation required to maintain limit strength over a 4-6 week period, and over long term. I realize that it is individually based, but it would be helpful to get a guideline. Right now I’m doing something similar to your “Diff. Destinations, Diff Journeys” 6 workout/week program. I’d like to concentrate on deadlift/squat and maintain my bench.

[/quote]

Hi CT,

I have just finished my rugby season recently and am just shedding some bodyfat before I begin adding some muscle in the off season. The thing is I’m sick of running and various forms of cardio. I was just curious how important you feel ESW or cardio is when trying to lose fat??? Can you suggest any ideas on training/diet that would not require cardio sessions? I’m currently around 12%.

CT,
I think I have read that you are currently training or have trained hockey players in the past. I was wondering what kind of endurance training you do with them. Also do you have any suggestions for a training split for a defenseman practicing monday and wednesday, consisting mostly of scrimmage and 2 vs 2 type drills. Thanks,
TR