T Nation

CT Prime Time Oct 10-11

You know the drill!

I recently sent you a PM, but thought this may be quicker. You mentioned in a post after your Renaissance training article some impressive gains with a bobsledder in lifting numbers. You stated that these improvements were secondary to focusing on the nervous system rather than the muscular system. Can you elaborate on this? How do the 2 differ? How can you focus on the nervous system?

Thanks

[quote]climbon wrote:
I recently sent you a PM, but thought this may be quicker. You mentioned in a post after your Renaissance training article some impressive gains with a bobsledder in lifting numbers. You stated that these improvements were secondary to focusing on the nervous system rather than the muscular system. Can you elaborate on this? How do the 2 differ? How can you focus on the nervous system?

Thanks[/quote]

I wrote an article specifically on this. It’s called “different destinations, different journeys” … look for it in the archives.

Hey Thib,

Thanks for the time again tonight. My question is this: How important do you feel it is, in regards to hypertrophy specifically, to be able to “feel” the muscle you’re primarily trying to target in the exercise?

For example, I definitely “feel” my triceps working and generate a much better pump in them when performing close grip bench press on a smith machine, but I am so anti-smith machine that I do them almost exclusively with a barbell. The same goes for cable movements, I often feel like I’m getting a better contraction using them over free weights, but I will almost always go with dumbbells and barbells just because I have welcomed the brainwashing of “free weights are best”…

What’s your opinion?

Hey CT! No real training question here. Wanted to say thanks for all the help you’ve provided. I do have a few questions about your books though.

  1. How is that book coming along? and when will it be avaiable for sale?

  2. I see that your black book is now here for purchase. Is this a print of a E-book?

  3. Does your Black Book cover alot of block training? (I am very intersted on this type of training right now)

  4. Last time I asked you about how many types of blocks you knew about, and i wanted to rephrase the question.

How many ways have you found, utilzing the block system? Ive heard there was a block training system like “Pierre Roy”? and was just wondering how many ways the block training system can be utilized. Is there a chance on an article covering your lastest knowledge on block training? (Conjugated Block system)

Well thanks for your time CT. Much is appreciated.

hey coach. thanks for your time. In your article about recovery you list how recovery after a workout can vary depending on what kind of workout it was; anarobic\explosive or arobic\endurance. I am a shot-disc thrower and most of my workouts are strictly anarobic. i got in a fight with my trainer because he didn’t believe that i got those ideas from someone credible like i definetly think you are. so i had to print a copy and have him read it so i could use a hot pool after some of my workouts. the question i have is i’m not sure if im understanding exactly what is best for my workouts? and what if i play some basketball after a throwing workout. does that then become an arobic day? would i then use a cold pool? thanks, Niklas

CT whats a typical day like for you? what time are you up every day? what time is work done? what time do you go to bed? And how do you ahve time to read and get online?

Feeling it in the muscles is somewhat important, but it is not the foremost factor involved. It’s normal that you “feel it” more with stable exercises or isolation exercises since the workload is divided into less muscle mass. And this type of training certainly has a place in a bodybuilding program. However, progressively heavier lifting on basic exercises remains the most important factor.

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
Hey Thib,

Thanks for the time again tonight. My question is this: How important do you feel it is, in regards to hypertrophy specifically, to be able to “feel” the muscle you’re primarily trying to target in the exercise?

For example, I definitely “feel” my triceps working and generate a much better pump in them when performing close grip bench press on a smith machine, but I am so anti-smith machine that I do them almost exclusively with a barbell. The same goes for cable movements, I often feel like I’m getting a better contraction using them over free weights, but I will almost always go with dumbbells and barbells just because I have welcomed the brainwashing of “free weights are best”…

What’s your opinion?[/quote]

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
CT whats a typical day like for you? what time are you up every day? what time is work done? what time do you go to bed? And how do you ahve time to read and get online?[/quote]

I wake up at 6:00, eat breakfast, go to the gym at 7:00, train until 8:15. Then from 8:30 to 11:00 I have some time either for myself, or to do some minor work. From 11:30 to 5:00 I’m at the sports complex. I eat supper after that and work on articles, books, programs or other material up to 7:00pm. After 7:00 I am either here on Prime Time or with my girlfriend. I normally go to bed at around 10:30

[quote]Xfactor88 wrote:
Hey CT! No real training question here. Wanted to say thanks for all the help you’ve provided. I do have a few questions about your books though.

  1. How is that book coming along? and when will it be avaiable for sale?
    [/quote]

I’m working on it during my free time, which isn’t something I have a lot of! I have no idea about the release date.

[quote]Xfactor88 wrote:
2) I see that your black book is now here for purchase. Is this a print of a E-book?
[/quote]

Print.

[quote]Xfactor88 wrote:
3) Does your Black Book cover alot of block training? (I am very intersted on this type of training right now)
[/quote]

Yes and no. Block training is covered in its basic structure. But I don’t go into too much depth. It explains how to plan blocks for different purposes though.

[quote]Xfactor88 wrote:
4) Last time I asked you about how many types of blocks you knew about, and i wanted to rephrase the question.

How many ways have you found, utilzing the block system? Ive heard there was a block training system like “Pierre Roy”? and was just wondering how many ways the block training system can be utilized. Is there a chance on an article covering your lastest knowledge on block training? (Conjugated Block system)

Well thanks for your time CT. Much is appreciated.[/quote]

Right now I have just sent an article about vertical jump training to TC, Chris Shugart is editing one on genetics and I completed one on carbs cycling. So if I get to work on one about block training it could take a while before it’s available.

Here’s a cut and paste from the article. It’s the section that is applicable to your case:

"By “high intensity” I mean workouts using a high force output. Since force is equal to mass times acceleration, high intensity workouts will refer to sessions in which you either lift big weights (above 85% of your maximum on average) or lift explosively (Olympic lifts, speed bench/speed squat, plyometrics, ballistic lifts).

After that type of training, the best thing for you to do is use a neural restoration drink. Basically, add Power Drive to your post-workout meal.

If the session was particularly gruelling, use a contrast bath/shower alternating between cool (but not too cold) and hot water. If the session was hard, but nothing out of the ordinary, only take a warm to hot bath. A localized massage to the neck/trapezius area at least one hour after the workout will help reduce excitation."

[quote]nikboa wrote:
hey coach. thanks for your time. In your article about recovery you list how recovery after a workout can vary depending on what kind of workout it was; anarobic\explosive or arobic\endurance. I am a shot-disc thrower and most of my workouts are strictly anarobic. i got in a fight with my trainer because he didn’t believe that i got those ideas from someone credible like i definetly think you are. so i had to print a copy and have him read it so i could use a hot pool after some of my workouts. the question i have is i’m not sure if im understanding exactly what is best for my workouts? and what if i play some basketball after a throwing workout. does that then become an arobic day? would i then use a cold pool? thanks, Niklas[/quote]

BTW, Niklas … you don’t need to perform restorative work after every single bout of exercise you do! In fact, playing a little basketball can actually improve recovery after a strength/power session (provided that it’s not too intense).

Christian thanks for taking the time to answer questions.

I have been wanting to get into strongman training not really for the competion but I though iot would be a great supplment to the weight room for function strength and fat burning. Any recomendations as to what direction to take?

Coach, I have one question. I’m an oly lifter and that means big legs (at least in my case). I would like to spark some hypertrophy in my upper body, as it seems that I only gain in my lower body on typical oly lifting routines.
Can you please recommend me what to do?
Can I do some rows, chins, … after my training in 6-8 reps zone?
Thanks

Oh yeah, my training consists of snatches/C&J, squats, pulls, presses.

Hey CT,

I do weighted pull-ups (pronated grip) w/ as wide a grip as possible - some have told me I’m asking for a rotator cuff/shoulder injury/strain - any thoughts?

thanks

I suggest the following exercises:

3-5 reps range:
Push press
Incline press
Bent over rowing
Hammer curl
Close grip bench

6-8 reps range:
Military press
Chin-ups (weighted if possible)
Dips (weighted if possible)
Reverse curl
Nosebreaker

Now, don’t do all those during the same workout! Spread them over your training week.

For example…

DAY 1
Push press 4-5 sets of 3-5 reps
Bent over rowing 4-5 sets of 3-5 reps
Dips 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps

DAY 2
Incline press 4-5 sets of 3-5 reps
Chin-ups 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps
Reverse curl 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps

DAY 3
Close-grip bench 4-5 sets of 3-5 reps
Military press 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps
Pull-ups 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps

DAY 4
Hammer curl 4-5 sets of 3-5 reps
Nosebreaker 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps
Wide-grip pull-ups 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps

[quote]Hrastnik wrote:
Coach, I have one question. I’m an oly lifter and that means big legs (at least in my case). I would like to spark some hypertrophy in my upper body, as it seems that I only gain in my lower body on typical oly lifting routines.
Can you please recommend me what to do?
Can I do some rows, chins, … after my training in 6-8 reps zone?
Thanks

Oh yeah, my training consists of snatches/C&J, squats, pulls, presses.[/quote]

[quote]Pats Fan wrote:
Hey CT,

I do weighted pull-ups (pronated grip) w/ as wide a grip as possible - some have told me I’m asking for a rotator cuff/shoulder injury/strain - any thoughts?

thanks[/quote]

If they are done behind the neck, yes, that could be problematic. However done in front they shouldn’t be too dangerous provided that you don’t have any preexisting RC problems. I would only use that one exercise once per week though. The rest of your pull-ups/chin-ups should be done with a medium or narrow grip.

[quote]caladin wrote:
Christian thanks for taking the time to answer questions.

I have been wanting to get into strongman training not really for the competion but I though iot would be a great supplment to the weight room for function strength and fat burning. Any recomendations as to what direction to take?[/quote]

Strongman-type training is a great form of GPP work and overall workout. I suggest that you take a look at my “Renaissance” article. While it isn’t strictly about SM training, it does include strongman GPP work and the description should be of some interest to you.

Some basic stuff to look into: sled dragging (for weight, distance or time), sandbag work (lift, carry, lift & carry, drag) and sledgehammer striking are all good and inexpensive ways of training.

Guys, I’m leaving for the Mr.Olympia contest tomorrow, so this is your last chance to pile up the questions until next week. I’m takng a day off to prepare for the trip so I will be able to answer questions pretty much all day long.

Hi CT,

Do you advise losing fat before beginning a mass gaining phase.

I guess I am about 12-15%??? bodyfat (can see Ab’s slightly in mirror in good lighting) I have never been defined at all but seeing your articles and before and after pics makes me believe it is possible.

I know you now believe in Carb cycling (can’t wait for article on this!) and heavy training.

Which of your training programs would you consider optimal and also what cardio would you recommend.

Any other advice would be gratefully received.

Enjoy the O!

Thanks
Dan