CT Offseason Football Program?

[quote]Ski_USMC wrote:
Slightly off the topic of football…

CT, are you intending on producing TMUSCLE programs for athletic training or how to adapt HTH programs for athletic events?[/quote]

Yes

Awesome program Thib. It really made me tailor my 5/3/1 a bit. I mainly looked at Phase 2 and Phase 3. My workouts now include 10-15 minutes of explosive activation, and I will now throw in pull-ups/rows in as needed between sets (Wendler even mentioned he did that in his new article). My question is, how would I include periodization from Phase 2->Phase 3 with 5/3/1? (i.e. Phase 2 has a bunch of squats for lower body, and then Phase 3 has a typical PL set-up for lower body)

in regards to the post about the length of phases, is there a level you should be at which can tell you how long you should do each phase? especially for explosiveness? i’m more strength then explosive i’m pretty sure but is my strength enough in the first place?

great, great thread this one…i was away from this locker for a while and came across this last week and WOW

even though i’m in australia and our footy (aussie rules) is more relative strength / endurance based, i’m gonna do this

[quote]swans05 wrote:
in regards to the post about the length of phases, is there a level you should be at which can tell you how long you should do each phase? especially for explosiveness? i’m more strength then explosive i’m pretty sure but is my strength enough in the first place?

great, great thread this one…i was away from this locker for a while and came across this last week and WOW

even though i’m in australia and our footy (aussie rules) is more relative strength / endurance based, i’m gonna do this[/quote]

I’m not sure what you mean by “a level you should be at”. If you’ve been reading, much of the recent stuff stresses auto-regulation and understanding your OWN body. For example, if you’re doing a phase and you’re seeing progress from week to week then by all means “ride the wave” so to speak and continue with that phase. Don’t transition just because that’s what it says on paper.

The “explosiveness” phase isn’t just for someone looking to get explosive; a person, especially those who lack explosiveness, may likely see strength gains in this phase. The phase helps lay a solid foundation for the strength training to come.

Relative strength is about being strong for your body weight - focus on your diet and/or keep pushing your strength levels.

well aware of what auto reg is but is there an equivalent of base strength at 2 x bw for deads/squats for explosiveness or would you soley go on performance/feel?

[quote]swans05 wrote:
well aware of what auto reg is but is there an equivalent of base strength at 2 x bw for deads/squats for explosiveness or would you soley go on performance/feel?[/quote]

I honestly don’t see how one can set an arbitrary number for explosiveness that would be the equivalent of a 2x bw squat or dead lift; there are way too many variables.

If you’re very in tune with your body you could go on how you feel; problem is, few people actually are. Most people would have to judge an increase or decrease in explosiveness by performance - maybe bar speed, vertical jump, broad jump, etc.

I train for relative strength and explosiveness and I’m just speaking by what I’ve experienced - CT is definitely more knowledgeable in the matter.

thought as much…just thought there might be a figure i can aim for

i’m that sorta guy unfortunately

[quote]Mr. Zero wrote:

[quote]swans05 wrote:
well aware of what auto reg is but is there an equivalent of base strength at 2 x bw for deads/squats for explosiveness or would you soley go on performance/feel?[/quote]

I honestly don’t see how one can set an arbitrary number for explosiveness that would be the equivalent of a 2x bw squat or dead lift; there are way too many variables.

If you’re very in tune with your body you could go on how you feel; problem is, few people actually are. Most people would have to judge an increase or decrease in explosiveness by performance - maybe bar speed, vertical jump, broad jump, etc.

I train for relative strength and explosiveness and I’m just speaking by what I’ve experienced - CT is definitely more knowledgeable in the matter.[/quote]

No, you are essentially correct. I personally have developped an eye for explosiveness. This happens when you have worked with over 600 athletes. I can spot an explosive athlete when he jumps without actually looking at how high he jumps.

Not that the vertical jump is the be-all-end-all of explosiveness tests; it’s just one movement pattern. Throws, sideway movements, forward jumping, backward jumping, ground contact time during sprinting, etc. are all measures of power and explosiveness.

The only way I found to precisely measure progression in power output is the Tendo FitDrodyne unit. It essentially measures the power output produced during a lift or a jump. So you can establish a power progression. Sadly this units will cost you close to 2-3k depending on the model.

Did the first session last night all i can say is it was fun and tough cannot wait for the Tmuscle athletic program!

Hey Coach, this programm is supposed to be for football players. But do you think that it could be also used by a basketball player, during the off-season, with good results as well?If not, what changes would you make in order to adjust it better for him?
Generaly, should athletes of different (similar)sports train in different ways?

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
PHASE III - STRENGTH AND SIZE FOCUS II

MONDAY

SECTION A - ACTIVATION
A1. Depth jumps - 3-4 sets of 5 reps
A2. Plyo push-up - 3-4 sets of 5 reps
A3. Medicine ball slam - 3-4 sets of 5 reps

SECTION B - STRENGTH & SIZE
A. Power clean & push press - sets of 3 reps, start with roughly 50-60% and ramp up to max force set for 3 reps

B1. Standing DB shoulder press - 4-6 sets of 5 reps

B2. Chin-up parallel grip - 4-6 sets of 5 reps (add weight if needed)… 30-45 sec. of rest between both exercises

C1. Incline bench press - 4-6 sets of 5 reps

C2. Chin-up pronated grip - 4-6 sets of 5 reps (add weight if needed) … 30-45 sec. of rest between both exercises

D1. Dips (no weight) - 4 sets, stop 2 reps short of failure

D2. Chin-up supinated grip (no weight) - 4 sets, stop 2 reps short of failure

[/quote]

Are B1/B2 and C1/C2 ramped or straight sets of a given percentage?

Due to having to deal with rehabilation of injuries over the summer I am only just looking to start a programme now, looking to be playing again in 6 weeks. I had acl reconstruction and had further ligament damage on my shoulder so I need strength but I am looking to become more explosive.

Could I combine phase 1 and phase 2, on monday and tuesday doing phase 1’s monday and tuesday and doing phase 2’s monday and tuesday on thursday and saturday? Would you advise this, attempting to improve strength and explosiveness or is it not a good idea.

Thanks for the help!

Bonjour M.Thibaudeau,

Merci beaucoup pour cette préparation physique j'aurais aimé faire la faire durant mes années collégiales ! Je commence actuellement la 1ere phase et je me demandais pour les mouvements explosifs (A1,B1, etc) qui nécéessite des charges comme le Speed DB press à 40-50% RM par exemple doit-on aussi toujours augmenter la charge à chaque set? De plus, lors des sauts (jump lunge, verticaal jump, etc) est-ce que vous suggérez de faire les 5 repétitions le plus rapidement possible ou de bien se stabiliser au sol entre chaque saut?

Merci

Raphaël

Hi coach , do you still recommend this program? I would like to use it for my off season program in rugby. I am a lock , i kinda lack explosiveness,i am type 1A and i would like to give it a go and add that track work to it aswell .