CT Offseason Football Program?

Coach:

Do you see any reason a 37-year old couldn’t follow this protocol (taking into account, of course, any individual limitations, differences, etc)?

In my case, I’m transitioning from an endurance model (5K races) to a more burst-oriented approach (soccer goalie))… can’t help but think this would do worlds of good.

SECTION B - SQUAT HELL
A. Front squat - sets of 5 reps - start at roughly 50-60% and ramp up to max force point for 5 reps

B. Back squat - sets of 5 reps - ramping, start where you ended the front front squat and work up to max force for 5 reps

C. Top half back squat (slightly above 90 degrees)- ramping, start where you ended the full back squat and ramp up to max force for 5

D. Back squat - 1 set of max reps with 80% of the top weight you reached on the full back squat

There, I fixed the title for you.

I realize the program relies on autoregulation so the squat day is not as bad as it looks. Still, that’s a lot of work, but doable with adequate nutrition and sleep.

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:
SECTION B - SQUAT HELL
A. Front squat - sets of 5 reps - start at roughly 50-60% and ramp up to max force point for 5 reps

B. Back squat - sets of 5 reps - ramping, start where you ended the front front squat and work up to max force for 5 reps

C. Top half back squat (slightly above 90 degrees)- ramping, start where you ended the full back squat and ramp up to max force for 5

D. Back squat - 1 set of max reps with 80% of the top weight you reached on the full back squat

There, I fixed the title for you.

I realize the program relies on autoregulation so the squat day is not as bad as it looks. Still, that’s a lot of work, but doable with adequate nutrition and sleep.[/quote]

It’s not that bad… if you aren’t good at front squats you will end up doing a lot of squat sets, but a lot of them will be very light and wont cause much trauma. If your front squat is good (it should be 70-80% of your best back squat) then you will only have 2-3 sets of back squats, which isn’t bad.

when doing jump squats do you perform one rep immediately after the other or do you reset each rep for maximum height?

Coach, which days would your recomend the track work during phase 2? I was thinking Wednesday and Sunday.

I’m always confused with the right way to do Jump Squats, and also Standing Broad Jumps and/or Box Jumps for reps: What’s the goal here? To do them in a continuous fashion with no rest in between each rep, or to gather yourself in between reps, so that they are more of a series of maximum efforts within the set?
I would imagine that each method has its own benefits, but within this program, how would you do the jump squats, and from phase 1, how would you do the Standing Broad Jumps?

PHASE III - STRENGTH AND SIZE FOCUS II
DURATION: 4 to 6 weeks

Training split:
Monday: 1 whole-body lift + Vertical push/pull
Tuesday: Lower body
Wednesday: OFF
Thursday: 1 whole-body lift + horizontal push/pull
Friday: Arms
Saturday: Power circuit
Sunday: OFF

MONDAY

SECTION A - ACTIVATION
A1. Depth jumps - 3-4 sets of 5 reps
A2. Plyo push-up - 3-4 sets of 5 reps
A3. Medicine ball slam - 3-4 sets of 5 reps

SECTION B - STRENGTH & SIZE
A. Power clean & push press - sets of 3 reps, start with roughly 50-60% and ramp up to max force set for 3 reps

B1. Standing DB shoulder press - 4-6 sets of 5 reps

B2. Chin-up parallel grip - 4-6 sets of 5 reps (add weight if needed)… 30-45 sec. of rest between both exercises

C1. Incline bench press - 4-6 sets of 5 reps

C2. Chin-up pronated grip - 4-6 sets of 5 reps (add weight if needed) … 30-45 sec. of rest between both exercises

D1. Dips (no weight) - 4 sets, stop 2 reps short of failure

D2. Chin-up supinated grip (no weight) - 4 sets, stop 2 reps short of failure

TUESDAY

SECTION A - ACTIVATION
A. Jump on to a box in front - 3-4 sets of 5 reps
B. Jump on to a box behind you - 3-4 sets of 5 reps
C. Broad jump - 3-4 sets of 5 reps

A. Sumo deadlift - 3 reps, start at roughly 50-60% and ramp up to max force set for 3 reps

B. Front squat - 5 reps, start at roughly 50-60% and ramp up to max force set for 3 reps

C. Bulgarian split squat (no weight) - 3 sets, stop 2 reps short of failure

D. Glute-ham raise (back hyperextension if you don’t have GHR) - 3 sets, stop 2 reps short of failure

THURSDAY

SECTION A - ACTIVATION
A. Medicine ball throw from chest - 3-4 sets of 5 reps
B. Speed 1-arm row - 3-4 sets of as many reps as you can in 15 seconds

A. Power snatch from the hang - 3 reps, start at roughly 50-60% and work up to max force set for 3 reps

B1. Bench press - 5 reps, start at roughly 50-60% and work up to a max force set for 5 reps

B2. Bent-over barbell rowing - 5 reps, start at roughly 50-60% and work up to a max force set for 5 reps. 30-45 seconds between both exercises

C1. Push-ups - 3 sets, stop 2 reps short of failure

C2. Fatman pull-up - 3 sets, stop 2 reps short of failure

FRIDAY

SECTION A - STRENGTH & SIZE

A1. Top half close-grip bench press - 5 reps, start at roughly 50-60% and work up to max force set for 5 reps

A2. Preacher curl - 5 reps, start at roughly 50-60% and work up to a max force set for 5 reps. 30-45 seconds between both exercises

B1. Lying DB triceps extension - 5 reps, start at roughly 50-60% and work up to a max force set for 5 reps.

B2. Standing DB hammer curl - 5 reps, start at roughly 50-60% and work up to a max force set for 5 reps. 30-45 seconds between both exercises

C1. Overhead DB triceps extension (one DB for both hands) - 5 reps, start at roughly 50-60% and work up to a max force set for 5 reps.

C2. Standing reverse-grip EZ bar curl - 5 reps, start at roughly 50-60% and work up to a max force set for 5 reps. 30-45 seconds between both exercises

SATURDAY

SECTION A - POWER CIRCUIT
A1. Power clean (70-75%) 3 reps
A2. Speed bench press (40-50%) 5 reps
A3. Jump squat (20% bodyweight) 5 reps
A4. Medicine ball slam 5 reps

• Perform circuit 9-12 times… drop an exercise if it stops being explosive… 15-30 seconds between exercises.

PHASE IV- POWER

Training split:
Monday: Lower body I
Tuesday: Upper body I
Thursday: Lower body II
Friday: OFF
Saturday: Upper body II

MONDAY

A1. Jump on to a box in front - 5-7 sets of 5 reps

A2. Depth jumps for height (jump straight up)- 5-7 sets of 5 reps

A3. Jump squat (25% of bodyweight) - 5-7 sets of 5 reps

A4. Power clean from hang - 5-7 sets of 3 reps

A5. Front squat - 5-7 sets of 3 reps

• Perform as a circuit with 60-75 seconds between stations

TUESDAY

A1. Medicine ball throw from chest - 5-7 sets of 5 reps

A2. Plyo push up hands on bench - 5-7 sets of 5 reps

A3. Speed bench press (50%) - 5-7 sets of 5 reps

A4. Push press - 5-7 sets of 3 reps

A5. Bench press - 5-7 sets of 3 reps

• Perform as a circuit with 60-75 seconds between station

THURSDAY

A1. Broad jumps - 5-7 sets of 5 reps

A2. Depth jumps for distance (jump forward) - 5-7 sets of 5 reps

A3. Jump goodmorning (15% bodyweight)- 5-7 sets of 5 reps

A4. Power snatch from hang - 5-7 sets of 3 reps

A5. Deadlift - 5-7 sets of 3 reps

• Perform as a circuit with 60-75 seconds between station

SATURDAY

A. Bent over barbell rowing - sets of 3 reps, start at 50-60% and ramp up to max force set for 3

B. Chin-up supinated grip - 4 sets of max reps

C. Barbell shrugs - sets of 5 reps, start at 50-60% and ramp up to max force set for 5

D. Bent over lateral raise - 3-5 sets of 8 reps

Big

1 Like

Coach

Just wondering whether you are going to provide any information on the conditioning aspect of off-season?? (Sprints, sled dragging etc.)

By the way this program looks very impressive

Thanks

[quote]chappelloow wrote:
Coach

Just wondering whether you are going to provide any information on the conditioning aspect of off-season?? (Sprints, sled dragging etc.)

By the way this program looks very impressive

Thanks[/quote]

Honestly I’m a strength, power and size expert. Speed is not my main area of expertise, which is why I first didn’t want to give a track program. Anyway, more often than not, this is given by the teams track coach.

But here is what I would do…

PHASE 1

Split:
Monday: Lower body + short sprints (acceleration)
Tuesday: Upper body
Thursday: Whole body + GPP work
Saturday: Whole body + running technique

SHORT SPRINTS:

• Agility drills (footing, cones drills for 10-15 min)
  • position starts (5yds) 10 reps with 30-45 sec. rest
  • deadstart acceleration (10yds) 10 reps with 60-75 sec. rest
  • flying 10 (tempo running for 20yds gradually increasing speed, at the 20yds mark sprint all-out for 10yds) 5 reps with 60-75 sec. rest

GPP WORK:

• WRs and CBs: metabolic route running (go through all the basic routes… do one route, job back to starting position, do the next one, jog back, etc.), rest and repeat for 30 min.

• LBs, Safeties and DEs: medley tire flip and prowler push… something like push the prowler for 20yds, flip the tire 5 times, rest and repeat for 30 min

• OLs and DTs: Medley prowler push and sled drag… something like 20yds prowlder, come back with the sled (also 20yds) rest and repeat for 30 min.

• RBs and TEs: I would recommend doing all three of the preceding GPPs but at the third of the volume (i.e. 10min each).

• QBs: sign autographs, hit on the cheerleaders, play poker with the kickers.

RUNNING TECHNIQUE

• Agility work (footing and cone drills for 15 min)
  • 4 x 20yds … fast first 10yds, then 70% for other 10yds
  • 4 x flying 20 … slowly build-up speed over the first 20yds (so that you are roughly at 80% after 20) then maintain speed for 20yds
  • 4 x acceleration 20 … maximum sprint for 20yds then drop down to 70% form running for 20yds
  • 4 x 40yds at 70%

Thanks. Looks like some good work outs.

Keep up the good work.

Hey CT, thank you again for this program…

I’ve started phase 1 with my players, But I also train a couple of weekend warrior type guys, guys who wanna stay active/athletic, but also wanna gain strength and size, play a sport or two during the week, rec. basketball, flag football…

I’ve started them off with phase 1, thats just a good base for anyone it seems, but my question is, with the later phases,

What changes would you suggest, if any, considering they really aren’t football players, just guys looking for explosive strength and size while remaining active?..thanks

I, Bodybuilder?

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
PHASE II - STRENGTH AND SIZE FOCUS I

TRAINING SPLIT:
Monday: Squat & quads
Tuesday: Vertical push & pull
Thursday: Deadlift & hips
Saturday: Horizontal push & pull

MONDAY

SECTION A - ACTIVATION
A. Jump onto a box in front - 3-4 sets of 5 jumps
B. Jump squat (20% body weight) - 3-4 sets of 5 jumps

SECTION B - SIZE & STRENGTH

TUESDAY

SECTION A - ACTIVATION
A. Medicine ball toss overhead (push press fashion) - 3-4 sets of 5 throws
B. Medicine ball slam - 3-4 sets of 5 throws

A. Standing military press - sets of 5 reps, start at roughly 50-60% and ramp up to max force point for 5 reps

B. Push press - ramping, start where you ended the military press and ramp up to max force for 5 reps

C. Incline bench press - 3 sets of max reps with what you ended up with on the push press

*IMPORTANT: After every set of exercises A, B and C perform a set of pull-ups… perform about 2/3 of the number of your max reps (e.g. if you can do 10 pull-ups do sets of roughly 6 reps)

D1. Preacher curl - 3-4 sets of 6 reps

D2. Seated overhead DB triceps extension - 3-4 sets of 6 reps (superset D1 and D2)

THURSDAY

SECTION A - ACTIVATION
A. Broad jumps - 3-4 sets of 5 jumps
B. 1-arm DB snatch - ramping sets of 3 reps per arm

A. Power high pull (lift bar up to sternum) - sets of 3 reps, start at roughly 50-60% and work up to max force for 3 reps

B. Power low pull (light bar up to belly button) - ramping, start where the high pull ended, work up to the max force set for 3 reps

C. Deadlift - ramping, start where the low pull ended and work up to the max force set for 3 reps

D. Top half deadlift in rack (just above knees) - start where the deadlift ended and work up to the max force set for 3 reps

SATURDAY

SECTION A - ACTIVATION
A. Plyo push-up - 3-4 sets of 5 reps
B. Medicine ball throw from chest - 3-4 sets of 5 reps

A. Close-grip bench press - sets of 5 reps, start at roughly 50-60% work up to max force set for 5 reps

B. Bench press - sets of 5 reps, start where you ended the close-grip bench and work up to max force set for 5 reps

C. Top half bench press in rack (6-8" from chest) - start where you ended the bench work up to max force set for 5 reps

*IMPORTANT: After every set of execises A, B and C perform one set of 5 reps on any horizontal rowing movement

D1. Standing DB hammer curl - 3-4 sets of 6 reps

D2. Lying DB triceps extension - 3-4 sets of 6 reps (superset D1 and D2)
[/quote]

This is by far one of the COOLEST programs you have given us yet Thib and for that i thank you sir. Cant wait to get started!

1 Like

I didnt even see the next STRENGTH & SIZE PHASE 2… Excellent programs THib

Mr. Thibaudeau,

As a current collegiate football player I found this program fascinating! Your generosity of information and time is truly remarkable.

I know you mentioned that speed training is not your main area of expertise, but I was wondering how you envision the speed and conditioning work you outlined for phase I changing as one goes through the phases and moves closer to the competitive season?

Also, would you recommend performing the speed/agility work prior to lifting and the conditioning after lifting?

This is amazing. almost wish I was a member of this site when I still played.

thank you coach Thibaudeau.

Looks like I’ve found my spring/summer routine.

Question for you coach. You mentioned in the beginning of this topic that you don’t like to normally schedule 20 weeks in advance because “we can’t predict exactly how the body will progress.” For those of us that are permanently in the off-season, sticking to the 4 week guidelines would not be as set in stone. What should we look for before progressing onto the next step?

Everytime I turn around I swear I learn something new from you (either a program, exercise, or just general idea about lifting and exercise).

Thanks Coach

[quote]Dont Want None wrote:
Looks like I’ve found my spring/summer routine.

Question for you coach. You mentioned in the beginning of this topic that you don’t like to normally schedule 20 weeks in advance because “we can’t predict exactly how the body will progress.” For those of us that are permanently in the off-season, sticking to the 4 week guidelines would not be as set in stone. What should we look for before progressing onto the next step?

Everytime I turn around I swear I learn something new from you (either a program, exercise, or just general idea about lifting and exercise).

Thanks Coach[/quote]

The length of the phases should depend on your needs.

Someone who really lacks explosiveness should spend 6 weeks in phase 1. Someone who is already pretty explosive but lacks strength should only spend 4 weeks there.

Someone who lacks muscle mass and strength should make phases I and II 6 weeks each.

The length of the last phase should be 4 weeks if you are not competing.