CT Offseason Football Program?

[quote]chappelloow wrote:
Coach

Just wondering whether you are going to provide any information on the conditioning aspect of off-season?? (Sprints, sled dragging etc.)

By the way this program looks very impressive

Thanks[/quote]

Honestly I’m a strength, power and size expert. Speed is not my main area of expertise, which is why I first didn’t want to give a track program. Anyway, more often than not, this is given by the teams track coach.

But here is what I would do…

PHASE 1

Split:
Monday: Lower body + short sprints (acceleration)
Tuesday: Upper body
Wednesday: OFF
Thursday: Whole body + GPP work
Friday: OFF
Saturday: Whole body + running technique
Sunday: OFF

SHORT SPRINTS:

• Agility drills (footing, cones drills for 10-15 min)
  • position starts (5yds) 10 reps with 30-45 sec. rest
  • deadstart acceleration (10yds) 10 reps with 60-75 sec. rest
  • flying 10 (tempo running for 20yds gradually increasing speed, at the 20yds mark sprint all-out for 10yds) 5 reps with 60-75 sec. rest

GPP WORK:

• WRs and CBs: metabolic route running (go through all the basic routes… do one route, job back to starting position, do the next one, jog back, etc.), rest and repeat for 30 min.

• LBs, Safeties and DEs: medley tire flip and prowler push… something like push the prowler for 20yds, flip the tire 5 times, rest and repeat for 30 min

• OLs and DTs: Medley prowler push and sled drag… something like 20yds prowlder, come back with the sled (also 20yds) rest and repeat for 30 min.

• RBs and TEs: I would recommend doing all three of the preceding GPPs but at the third of the volume (i.e. 10min each).

• QBs: sign autographs, hit on the cheerleaders, play poker with the kickers.

RUNNING TECHNIQUE

• Agility work (footing and cone drills for 15 min)
  • 4 x 20yds … fast first 10yds, then 70% for other 10yds
  • 4 x flying 20 … slowly build-up speed over the first 20yds (so that you are roughly at 80% after 20) then maintain speed for 20yds
  • 4 x acceleration 20 … maximum sprint for 20yds then drop down to 70% form running for 20yds
  • 4 x 40yds at 70%