CT Here For An Hour

Thib!!
I’ve got a great idea. Can you walk all of us through your powerlifting season? Just post it and let us “tag along” on how a strength coach actually puts a long term plan together. What a cool opportunity…

DH

CT, sorry to clog up the thread, but there may have been a few ?'s skipped.

CT

It was suggested in the recent “Old Farts” Think Tank that older lifters should train with lighter loads to save the joints. I have tendonitis in my knees and elbows and realize that it would be wise to train with lighter weights (e.g. <80% 1RM). However, I am concerned that I will not be affecting my fast twitch fibers and therefore impeding hypertrophy and strength gains.

Thanks for all of your inspiring contributions,

Brian

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
downintucson wrote:
Okay, I’m sure you’ve answered these before, but…

1. Do you think an isometric routine (similar to Bill march’s system) would be good during a diet? It seems to fit two important rules about training while dieting (sufficient tension to preserve muscle mass and a low volume of work).

Yes because it involves a high intensity of muscle contraction AND doesn’t use as much energy as dynamic training.

However some dynamic work should still be performed.

downintucson wrote:
2) Any revisions on your shoulders overhaul routine? I couldn’t handle the volume.

Did you reduce the workload for other bodyparts?
[/quote]

Thanks on the first question.

On the second question, yes, I did lower volume than normal for all upper-body stuff (even eliminated chest halfway thru the acc. block due to sore shoulders). I lowered volume on lower-body stuff but not to the extent of the upper body.

Hi CT,

I remember you recommend high intensity & short-timed sets for martial arts. Questions are:

1. What sort of rest interval should I be working with?

2. Would you still recommend the same for people who train towards a long martial arts event e.g. a 3hr black belt grading?

3. And what exercises would you recommend for a striking-and-kicking based art (e.g. Karate) for the above event?

Thanks in advance for replying.

Geek boy

any recomendations about how to
do tow sessions aday {am pm}with out over training?

and for how long can you do it?
i ususly trians 5-9 times per week
when aerobics{intervals for 20min}
are doing in am ours and lifting is done
in pm ours.3 times per week i do havy olimpic lifts {20 sets for snacth and clean and split 10 for each movment}

and in this days i dont do cardio at all
im anationl weightlifter so i need to
keep my body wieght{69 kilo catgory}

Fish oils,

Hi CT,

Are Salmon oil, cod liver oil on par as far as fish oil supplement recommandations?

Costco offers all of them, which one to choose.

Thanks,

[quote]HHH wrote:
CT

What are your thoughts for pure hypertrophy on 10 x 3 training as reccomended by CW?

[/quote]

Don’t wanna start a war with Hoss, but I wrote an article about using a 10 x 3 rep scheme 2 years before he did :slight_smile: It was in 1999 or 2000 I think, before I began writing for T-mag… it was published on Dr.Squat web site … however it was removed when I started working here.

That article was even translated in Italian and published in a big training magasine over there.

That having been said, it wasn’t really a routine article like CW’s … It was just explaining how high load/low reps training could stimulate hypertrophy provided that the number of sets was increased.

The article was titled “High Tension Training” and also included a section on olympic lifting.

So obviously, I’m all for CW’s 10 x 3 routine.

BTW, I know that CW didn’t take the idea from me. Sometimes great minds come up with the same idea.

[quote]HHH wrote:
Would this type of training be good for just muscle gains or would u reccomend something with less sets more reps?
[/quote]

Both methods work, using both in a block or conjugated approach is your best bet.

[quote]HHH wrote:
The reason i ask is i love training with low reps but i dont really want strength increases just muscle gains.
[/quote]

Well, low reps will give you strength gains like it or not!

I personally prefer low reps myself. That’s why I’m back to strength training/powerlifting. I still want big muscles though… so I do include a lot of volume in the 3-6 reps range.

[quote]Disc Hoss wrote:
Thib!!
I’ve got a great idea. Can you walk all of us through your powerlifting season? Just post it and let us “tag along” on how a strength coach actually puts a long term plan together. What a cool opportunity…

DH[/quote]

Sure thing … actually I was just thinking about doing this.

[quote]homer23 wrote:
CT, sorry to clog up the thread, but there may have been a few ?'s skipped.

CT

It was suggested in the recent “Old Farts” Think Tank that older lifters should train with lighter loads to save the joints. I have tendonitis in my knees and elbows and realize that it would be wise to train with lighter weights (e.g. <80% 1RM). However, I am concerned that I will not be affecting my fast twitch fibers and therefore impeding hypertrophy and strength gains.

Thanks for all of your inspiring contributions,

Brian

[/quote]

Brian, your best bet would be to ask Danny John about this. Being an old (but wise) man himself he is more knowledgeable than myself on that subject. He even wrote a great article on that subject on his web page.

As for my suggestion, if you are concerned about your FT fibers. You might want to include some dynamic effort work (with bands if you have them).

CT, you’ve made a great program for us(pillars of strength). Because i’ve weak knees, so should i jump right into the program or should i cut down the volume and slowly build it up??

and based on your program, i’ve come up with the similar one for Arms, one for Chest/Back/Delts. can you take a look on my exercises choices and give comments?

Arms
Workout A :
A)Barbell Curl;B)CG Decline Press;C)Reverse Curl
Workout B :
A)1-Arm Preacher Curl;B)1-arm Pressdown;C)1-Arm reverse Preacher Curl
Workout C:
A1,2)Preacher Curl; 2-arm Cable Curl
B1,2)CG Bench Press; pressdown
C1,2)barbell Wrist Curl; reverse Wrist curl

Chest/Back/Delts
Workout A :
A)Bench Press;B)Bent Row;C)Behind neck press
Workout B :
A)1-Arm Pec Deck;B)1-arm dumbbell row;C)1-Arm lateral
Workout C:
A1,2)Incline Press; crossover
B1,2)Chins/Pulldown; stiff-arm pulldown
C1,2)Seated Dumbbell press, cable lateral

and i’ve also come up with this crazy idea:
a 4- day cycle:

cycle 1
Day 1 Chest/Back/Delts (A)
Day 2 Arms (B)
Day 3 Legs (C)
Day 4 rest

cycle 2
Day 1 Chest/Back/Delts (B)
Day 2 Arms (C)
Day 3 Legs (A)
Day 4 rest

cycle 3
Day 1 Chest/Back/Delts (C)
Day 2 Arms (A)
Day 3 Legs (B)
Day 4 rest

what do you think? is that crazy? or you think some people may be able to do this kind of cycle?

[quote]amitsapir wrote:
any recomendations about how to
do tow sessions aday {am pm}with out over training?

and for how long can you do it?
i ususly trians 5-9 times per week
when aerobics{intervals for 20min}
are doing in am ours and lifting is done
in pm ours.3 times per week i do havy olimpic lifts {20 sets for snacth and clean and split 10 for each movment}

and in this days i dont do cardio at all
im anationl weightlifter so i need to
keep my body wieght{69 kilo catgory}
[/quote]

When performing two sessions a day the first one should be of a high intensity level while the second one should be lower in intensity and complexity.

In the afternoon session include more sgemented assistance work (pulls from blocks or hang, power clean/snatch from hang/blocks, drop snatch, overhead squats, push press etc.) and/or low intensity technical work on the competition lifts (5-6 sets of 2 reps at 70%).

My friend James O’malley wrote a great article on the subject at:

http://www.ontarioweightlifting.ca/twiceaday.html

[quote]bert99 wrote:
Fish oils,

Hi CT,

Are Salmon oil, cod liver oil on par as far as fish oil supplement recommandations?

Costco offers all of them, which one to choose.

Thanks,
[/quote]

I like salmon myself

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
HHH wrote:
CT

What are your thoughts for pure hypertrophy on 10 x 3 training as reccomended by CW?

Don’t wanna start a war with Hoss, but I wrote an article about using a 10 x 3 rep scheme 2 years before he did :slight_smile: It was in 1999 or 2000 I think, before I began writing for T-mag… it was published on Dr.Squat web site … however it was removed when I started working here.

That article was even translated in Italian and published in a big training magasine over there.

That having been said, it wasn’t really a routine article like CW’s … It was just explaining how high load/low reps training could stimulate hypertrophy provided that the number of sets was increased.

The article was titled “High Tension Training” and also included a section on olympic lifting.

So obviously, I’m all for CW’s 10 x 3 routine.

BTW, I know that CW didn’t take the idea from me. Sometimes great minds come up with the same idea.

[/Quote]

I loved that article!!! I wish I could re-read that article. Any idea how I could get ahold of that article again? It was one of the first ones I read that wasn’t in a flex mag, lol.

I am wondering how many sets I should be doing for calves. I am in the second phase of the easy gainers program and you had said to go heavy one day, explosive the other and high reps for the final day.

Also in terms of your power circut, what would be best for hypertrophy and strength:

Upper Body Circut
Lower Body Circut
Original Circut

or the Orignal Circut 3x a week. Thanks

CT-Tips for improving OHP Strength? Right now I’m doing accumlation/intensification

Day 1-Just Seated Barbell OHP People 3 sets 5-4 reps per

3 days later-Shoulder day
Start off with db OHP’s
8/8/6/3

Right now I’m doing more hypertrophy training but when i switch to reps 5 and under what do you recommend?

Push press for 4-6 sets of 3-5 reps

Bradford press for 3-5 sets of 6-8 reps

Standing military press for 5 sets of 5 reps

CT: My question kinda runs back towards your Running Man article from a while back. I’m fairly lean, but I’m trying to get to the “next level” before summer. As such I’m interested in adding cardio to my routine (have been just hitting the weights lately which I know is poor.)

1. Is high intensity still the way to go? I noticed your walks and also Lonnie Lowery saying slow jogging/walking prevents CNS stress while burning calories.

2. What effect does sprints have on the CNS? How can we structure our lower body training to avoid CNS stress while getting in 2-3 days of high intensity cardio (if you still say it’s king)?

Keep in mind I’m definitely trying to minimize muscle loss, I’m not fat by any means so if I really lost weight I’d be too skinny. But I’d like my abs to show a bit more!

Thanks in advance, you kickass!

CT,

How would you go about training for rugby union during the year from the strength training side of things? I’ve got the conditioning/cardio side worked out but was interested in how you would structure the strength training programs for during the season and off season.

Cheers,

Ben

[quote]H factor wrote:
CT: My question kinda runs back towards your Running Man article from a while back. I’m fairly lean, but I’m trying to get to the “next level” before summer. As such I’m interested in adding cardio to my routine (have been just hitting the weights lately which I know is poor.)

1. Is high intensity still the way to go? I noticed your walks and also Lonnie Lowery saying slow jogging/walking prevents CNS stress while burning calories.

2. What effect does sprints have on the CNS? How can we structure our lower body training to avoid CNS stress while getting in 2-3 days of high intensity cardio (if you still say it’s king)?

Keep in mind I’m definitely trying to minimize muscle loss, I’m not fat by any means so if I really lost weight I’d be too skinny. But I’d like my abs to show a bit more!

Thanks in advance, you kickass! [/quote]

All-out sprinting has pretty much the same effect on the CNS as maximum effort lifting. In other words it’s pretty draining.

High intensity cardio and interval training are very effective at burning bodyfat, but if you are on a relatively severe caloric restriction and especially carbs restriction, it can certainly lead to muscle loss. You could perform 1 high intensity session per week along with 2 low intensity sessions.

[quote]bg100 wrote:
CT,

How would you go about training for rugby union during the year from the strength training side of things? I’ve got the conditioning/cardio side worked out but was interested in how you would structure the strength training programs for during the season and off season.

Cheers,

Ben

[/quote]

Ben, that is way outside the scope of a Q&A column as it would require AT LEAST an article in itself, possibly two.