T Nation

CT Fletcher vs.TheRage191

Okay, so there has been a good deal of talk concerning CT Fletcher recently. I respect the man. Really enjoy his videos. This guy below, however, does not. My first reaction was to think, “Really? The fuck is this guy’s problem?”

However, after thinking about it for a bit, I began to wonder. Is CT just a trend? Is he only popular lately just because, well, he’s popular? I just thought this would be an interesting topic for discussion. What are your thoughts on CT? The video posted by TheRage191? How about CT’s response video? What has CT Fletcher taught you? Any training principles you have adopted because of him?

I’m interested to hear everyone’s opinions.

I made it like a minute through that first video. Who is that shirtless goofball and why should anyone care what he thinks? I can’t say I’ve gotten anything particularly enlightening from CT, but he’s entertaining, and listening to him makes me want to go lift a bunch of heavy shit.

That said, for both sides, there is nothing manly or honourable about engaging in youtube egodrama.

Guy is just trying to use CT’s popularity to increase his own, and does it by shitting on someone else. No bueno.

I’m probably one of the few people who knew about CT before he got e-famous. I keep tabs on anyone who gets that close to a 700lb bench. If you out benched Kaz; I’ve probably read about you before lol.

I hope he retains his popularity. He deserves some kind of credibility for his powerlifting accomplishments. If you want to find something to take away from his message imo it’s this: Your attitude and belief in what you’re doing is more important than your program itself.

Whatever rep/set/exercise scheme you’re doing, if you attack it aggressively and believe that it will make you stronger, you will see much better results than someone on a “better” program who is just going through the numbers and percentages as he has to.

People focus on diet, sleep, and programming. Your attitude, aggressiveness, competitiveness, and just the way you approach lifting is often not even addressed. Those things are just as important if not more important than the other pieces. Honestly in my opinion it’s the most important thing. Hope that made sense.

It’s a huge deal with youth nowadays imo (I’m not quite old enough to talk like that but bear with me lol). Boys these days don’t seem to have that fire in their belly in the gym. I believe you can teach it though. If you can learn how to unleash your inner savage you’re in for some great gains.

Still something I’m trying to improve upon myself.

As obnoxious as the guy in the first video is, he’s sort of got a point.

There’s this trend lately with guys like CT gaining popularity on youtube, bigass black dudes who never really made it big but have respectable physiques and strength levels, and they all market themselves as being “hard” and from the streets. To me it seems like all these guys are trying really hard to put on an act. Its getting tiring an overdone in my opinion.

LOL at “of course you cant overtrain, all you fucking do is CURL!”

[quote]csulli wrote:
I’m probably one of the few people who knew about CT before he got e-famous. I keep tabs on anyone who gets that close to a 700lb bench. If you out benched Kaz; I’ve probably read about you before lol.

I hope he retains his popularity. He deserves some kind of credibility for his powerlifting accomplishments. If you want to find something to take away from his message imo it’s this: Your attitude and belief in what you’re doing is more important than your program itself.

Whatever rep/set/exercise scheme you’re doing, if you attack it aggressively and believe that it will make you stronger, you will see much better results than someone on a “better” program who is just going through the numbers and percentages as he has to.

People focus on diet, sleep, and programming. Your attitude, aggressiveness, competitiveness, and just the way you approach lifting is often not even addressed. Those things are just as important if not more important than the other pieces. Honestly in my opinion it’s the most important thing. Hope that made sense.

It’s a huge deal with youth nowadays imo (I’m not quite old enough to talk like that but bear with me lol). Boys these days don’t seem to have that fire in their belly in the gym. I believe you can teach it though. If you can learn how to unleash your inner savage you’re in for some great gains.

Still something I’m trying to improve upon myself.[/quote]

Great post!

[quote]audiogarden1 wrote:

There’s this trend lately with guys like CT gaining popularity on youtube, bigass black dudes who never really made it big but have respectable physiques and strength levels, and they all market themselves as being “hard” and from the streets. To me it seems like all these guys are trying really hard to put on an act. Its getting tiring an overdone in my opinion.

LOL at “of course you cant overtrain, all you fucking do is CURL!”[/quote]
Commence race war in 3…2…1…

CT did make it big though, he was a world champion bench presser and set the record for the strict curl.

[/quote]
I see what you’re sayin. There’s really no way to say how much of it is an act with any of these guys though. I mean it’s feasible that a larger than average number of guys like that legitimately did come from very rough backgrounds, and they used weights as an outlet and possibly even an escape from a much worse life. I’d give them the benefit of the doubt and say it’s not really an act.

Seriously, who gives two flying fucks about this? Do you guys really have so little of a life that you’ve gotta worry that there’s a YouTube war going on between two guys you’ve never met?

CT Fletcher gives a lot of people a lot of inspiration. Isn’t that’s all that’s important?

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Seriously, who gives two flying fucks about this? Do you guys really have so little of a life that you’ve gotta worry that there’s a YouTube war going on between two guys you’ve never met?

CT Fletcher gives a lot of people a lot of inspiration. Isn’t that’s all that’s important?[/quote]

Um… the whole context of this subforum is that we all need to get a life… i think they even call it the get a life forum. just saying…

CT Fletcher gives a lot of people a lot of inspiration. Isn’t that’s all that’s important?[/quote]
Do you have so little life that you have no leisure time to bullshit on an internet forum about stuff like this? What are you working like 80 hour weeks? It’s called having free time lol.

[quote]csulli wrote:
What are you working like 80 hour weeks? [/quote]

Ah… yea. Pretty much.

[quote]Waittz wrote:

Um… the whole context of this subforum is that we all need to get a life… i think they even call it the get a life forum. just saying… [/quote]

Yea but to argue about this is stupid. Who gives a shit what one youtube guy says about someone who lifts weights and is clearly good at it?

It’s not like anyone is arguing about whether his methods work or anything that might be considered worthwhile.

I don’t know. Just sounds stupid to me.

[quote]Waittz wrote:

Um… the whole context of this subforum is that we all need to get a life… i think they even call it the get a life forum. just saying… [/quote]

Yea but to argue about this is stupid. Who gives a shit what one youtube guy says about someone who lifts weights and is clearly good at it?

It’s not like anyone is arguing about whether his methods work or anything that might be considered worthwhile.

I don’t know. Just sounds stupid to me. [/quote]

Bro…you need to GAL…

[quote]Waittz wrote:

CT did make it big though, he was a world champion bench presser and set the record for the strict curl. [/quote]

Not in terms of renown or fame.

Why were there so many people on T-Nation who never heard of him?

[quote]Waittz wrote:

You do realize you’re now arguing on an internet forum about an argument about an e-war. And now I’m calling you out about arguing about an argument about an e-war.

Trollception.

[quote]Waittz wrote:

CT did make it big though, he was a world champion bench presser and set the record for the strict curl. [/quote]

Not in terms of renown or fame.

Why were there so many people on T-Nation who never heard of him? [/quote]

Before the explosion of social media in the past few years, who did you hear of?

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]Waittz wrote:

You do realize you’re now arguing on an internet forum about an argument about an e-war. And now I’m calling you out about arguing about an argument about an e-war.

Trollception.[/quote]

[quote]Cimmerian wrote:
I can’t say I’ve gotten anything particularly enlightening from CT, but he’s entertaining, and listening to him makes me want to go lift a bunch of heavy shit.
[/quote]

I agree. I lift after work, so sometimes I’ll watch a CT video before I leave to get in the zone. I COMMAND YOU TO Grow!