T Nation

CT: Best Rep Scheme for Strength?


#1

hey ct, i would like to know with witch rep scheme did u get the most strenght results ? and witch one is ur favorite ?
im telling you this because im looking for a rep scheme i never did so..
thanks you


#2

I’m not CT (I can only lift half of what he lifts and I’m not even close to half as knowledgeable), but this is touched upon in his latest article.

From a personal perspective, I find Wendler’s 531 regime fairly useful. It has all rep ranges from 10 down to 1 (using Jokers). All in a repetitive and programmed way.


#3

[quote]bigmax wrote:
hey ct, i would like to know with witch rep scheme did u get the most strenght results ? and witch one is ur favorite ?
im telling you this because im looking for a rep scheme i never did so…
thanks you[/quote]

Read this before asking such a question… http://www.t-nation.com/training/22-proven-rep-schemes


#4

yes CT i saw this post and try lot of them, i would like to have a complete set up for a 2 or 3 rm ramping. something different than 3 cluster and 3 hdl. Can you give me an other option for a full setup ??

thanks


#5

[quote]bigmax wrote:
yes CT i saw this post and try lot of them, i would like to have a complete set up for a 2 or 3 rm ramping. something different than 3 cluster and 3 hdl. Can you give me an other option for a full setup ??

thanks[/quote]

what’s with you and “being different”… all the questions you asked in the past were “do you have a different sets/reps scheme?” … there is a lot more to training and getting gains then that. Training methods, exercise selection, the way you contract a muscle, etc. are all important. Just doing X sets of Y reps is not enough to get gains.

Furthermore just because you have done a certain sets/reps scheme in the past doesn’t mean that it is now less effective. Changes just to be different isn’t necessarily productive… I can put my underwear over my pants… that will be different, doesn’t mean that it’s productive or good.

As for ramping, I addressed this a zillion times in the past… even in the 22 reps scheme article I explain how to ramp.


#6

And I do not like when you say that you “tried a lot of them”. It sounds like you are looking for a sets/reps scheme that will have a sudden effect on size and strength, almost giving you magical results. No rep scheme will give you uncommon results by themselves. Sets and reps are only a way of arranging physical work, there is no secret combination that will unlock unprecedented growth. In training there is only smart, hard work and progression (trying to progress in some way on a regular basis). And building an impressive physique or strength level is about:

Doing hard smart work… for many years

That’s it.


#7

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
I can put my underwear over my pants… that will be different, doesn’t mean that it’s productive or good.[/quote]

Isn’t that what 6 weeks to a superhero is all about?


#8

i dont wanna hear ur theory i know all about that i just want something different ! do u have a different rep scheme ???

please just answer my question and dont talk to me about ur theory


#9

[quote]bigmax wrote:
i dont wanna hear ur theory i know all about that i just want something different ! do u have a different rep scheme ???

please just answer my question and dont talk to me about ur theory[/quote]

Well, you come to my forum where I give free advice. I am glad to help people out. But I’d appreciate a little respect. I am not likely to help someone for free if he is not respectful toward me.

And my goal is to help people improve and become more autonomous with their training. I give advice with that in mind. And I do not believe that just blindly giving away sets and reps scheme is very helpful because I do not believe that it’s the most important factor in training… not to mention that with everything I wrote about sets and reps schemes in the past there is plenty to pick from.

What do you want me to do? Just tell you new numbers? Well you did you do 5 x 5? Yes then do 5 x 4 or 4 x 5 or 12 x 1 or 11 x 2… I can write down any numbers that please you if all you want is something different.

Heck, you want a new sets/reps scheme? Simple … take two dices… roll the first one, that is you number of sets… roll the second one that is your number of reps… for example if the first dice gives you “5” and the second dice gives you “2” do 5 x 2… that’s new… or do it with a stack of cards… pick a card that is your number of sets… pick a second one that is your number of reps… an ace is “1” and any figure (king, queene or jack) is “10” that should give you plenty of “new” sets and reps scheme for a while.

When you have a question about something different I’ll be glad to help if you show me some respect. If that’s not enough for you, you can always go to your gym personal trainer and pay him 70$ an hour to ask him about what he likes for sets and reps.


#10

I can tell you that the die-rolling scheme CT mentions is a great one. It was developed by G. Gygax in the '70s, and I love it. I usually do d6 x d12 for upper body and d6 x d20 for lower, with d8 x d4 for peaking.


#11

Do we all realize how much valuable information we are receiving for free from CT?
My career in Personal Training would not be where it is without studying and using CT’s principles (Black Book, Thib System, T Nation etc.).
Since it is the holiday season, I would like to say thank you CT for the many years of devoting your time to help.


#12

[quote]davedirt46 wrote:
Do we all realize how much valuable information we are receiving for free from CT?
My career in Personal Training would not be where it is without studying and using CT’s principles (Black Book, Thib System, T Nation etc.).
Since it is the holiday season, I would like to say thank you CT for the many years of devoting your time to help.[/quote]

Thanks Dave I really appreciate it!


#13

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]davedirt46 wrote:
Do we all realize how much valuable information we are receiving for free from CT?
My career in Personal Training would not be where it is without studying and using CT’s principles (Black Book, Thib System, T Nation etc.).
Since it is the holiday season, I would like to say thank you CT for the many years of devoting your time to help.[/quote]

Thanks Dave I really appreciate it![/quote]

I cant say the same cause he never responds to my questions. I was actually a fan of his but for the past several occasions he has blatantly ignored so I guess he doesn’t like responding to everyone. Its cool


#14

Seriously, everyone? How entitled have we all gotten? There are literally thousands of pages of his answers on this website… (drum roll) for free!
CT, thank you for the help you generously give all of us - in the field in which you make your living!


#15

[quote]sidhu524 wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]davedirt46 wrote:
Do we all realize how much valuable information we are receiving for free from CT?
My career in Personal Training would not be where it is without studying and using CT’s principles (Black Book, Thib System, T Nation etc.).
Since it is the holiday season, I would like to say thank you CT for the many years of devoting your time to help.[/quote]

Thanks Dave I really appreciate it![/quote]

I cant say the same cause he never responds to my questions. I was actually a fan of his but for the past several occasions he has blatantly ignored so I guess he doesn’t like responding to everyone. Its cool [/quote]

What questions were these? I try to help as many people as I can. But I have a busy schedule and tend to overlook questions that are too long. It’s not on purpose (most of the time) I always start with the shortest questions, those that are precise and specific. When someone posts a huge questions of several paragraphs and a full training plan to critique I keep it for later when the shorter questions are answered. But sometimes I forget to get back to it. It’s not personal, but if I want to help as many people as possible that’s how I work.

And there are some subjects I don’t consider myself an expert in (nutrition and injuries for example). I prefer not to answer questions in those subjects rather than give you an answer that might actually do more harm than good.

So basically, if…

  • your question is very long (several paragraphs)
  • you ask for a full training program for free
  • you ask about injuries
  • you ask about nutrition

You are less likely to get an answer. I will answer some of these questions if it’s a specific case that I find very interesting and if I have a good suggestion to make but if you questions are:

  • shorter
  • more precise and about a specific problem
  • about training for size, strength or performance
  • about how to perform a specific lift optimally

Then you will likely get an answer ASAP


#16

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]sidhu524 wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]davedirt46 wrote:
Do we all realize how much valuable information we are receiving for free from CT?
My career in Personal Training would not be where it is without studying and using CT’s principles (Black Book, Thib System, T Nation etc.).
Since it is the holiday season, I would like to say thank you CT for the many years of devoting your time to help.[/quote]

Thanks Dave I really appreciate it![/quote]

I cant say the same cause he never responds to my questions. I was actually a fan of his but for the past several occasions he has blatantly ignored so I guess he doesn’t like responding to everyone. Its cool [/quote]

What questions were these? I try to help as many people as I can. But I have a busy schedule and tend to overlook questions that are too long. It’s not on purpose (most of the time) I always start with the shortest questions, those that are precise and specific. When someone posts a huge questions of several paragraphs and a full training plan to critique I keep it for later when the shorter questions are answered. But sometimes I forget to get back to it. It’s not personal, but if I want to help as many people as possible that’s how I work.

And there are some subjects I don’t consider myself an expert in (nutrition and injuries for example). I prefer not to answer questions in those subjects rather than give you an answer that might actually do more harm than good.

So basically, if…

  • your question is very long (several paragraphs)
  • you ask for a full training program for free
  • you ask about injuries
  • you ask about nutrition

You are less likely to get an answer. I will answer some of these questions if it’s a specific case that I find very interesting and if I have a good suggestion to make but if you questions are:

  • shorter
  • more precise and about a specific problem
  • about training for size, strength or performance
  • about how to perform a specific lift optimally

Then you will likely get an answer ASAP[/quote]

Ok. yea i understand your point but my question was regarding training. I actually do understand you’re a professional in your field like any other. I usually don’t bother people with little annoying questions that the response is fairly obvious to. Or be that person who is asking for a fully written individual program. After all you wouldn’t just expect a free treatment from a doctor over the phone without ever going to his office and paying for it.

I actually have a decent physique and been training for about 7 years now. Most of my training was for sports and performance and just getting strong. But recently I have wanted to get my look more symmetrical and focus on aesthetics. Im about 6’ 2" 215. Around 10% BF.

My question was, I really want that wide look up top for my upper body, usually known as the broad/wide look or something that people refer to as the “X Frame”. I know mostly that is dependent on one’s genetics but is there anyway to achieve this through training by focusing on certain type of training. Also is it just the wide Late that contribute to getting wider or both Lats and side delts?

I was thinking about doing a routine something like this and see what you think.
Day 1: Chest+Back Thickness
Day 2: Legs
Day 3: Back Width (The Indigo Specialization routine)
Day 4: Shoulder (Focus on the Width)

Thanks for your help if you get a chance to look it over.


#17

[quote]sidhu524 wrote:
I was thinking about doing a routine something like this and see what you think.
Day 1: Chest+Back Thickness
Day 2: Legs
Day 3: Back Width (The Indigo Specialization routine)
Day 4: Shoulder (Focus on the Width)

Thanks for your help if you get a chance to look it over.

[/quote]

It’s both lats/teres and lateral deltoid that will give you a wide look. When I do a specialization program (actually lats and deltoid specialization is something I often do with physique competitors) I normally devote 3 training days per week to develop the target muscles and the rest of the body is trained at maintenance level over 1 or 2 days. This is normally done for 3 to 5 weeks.

A week would look like this:

DAY 1. Lats and delts workout 1
DAY 2. Legs
DAY 3. Lats and delts workout 2
DAY 4. OFF
DAY 5. Chest and arms
DAY 6. Lats and delts workout 3
DAY 7. OFF

I normally approach training from a problem solving angle. When there is a specific problem to fix I prefer to go all out for a brief period of time, doing everything possible to solve the issue. Then move on to something else. Even if the problem might not be 100% solved after 5 weeks, just the fact that you hit the target muscles often will make you more efficient at recruiting them and it will be easier to make them grow in the future.


#18

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]sidhu524 wrote:
I was thinking about doing a routine something like this and see what you think.
Day 1: Chest+Back Thickness
Day 2: Legs
Day 3: Back Width (The Indigo Specialization routine)
Day 4: Shoulder (Focus on the Width)

Thanks for your help if you get a chance to look it over.

[/quote]

It’s both lats/teres and lateral deltoid that will give you a wide look. When I do a specialization program (actually lats and deltoid specialization is something I often do with physique competitors) I normally devote 3 training days per week to develop the target muscles and the rest of the body is trained at maintenance level over 1 or 2 days. This is normally done for 3 to 5 weeks.

A week would look like this:

DAY 1. Lats and delts workout 1
DAY 2. Legs
DAY 3. Lats and delts workout 2
DAY 4. OFF
DAY 5. Chest and arms
DAY 6. Lats and delts workout 3
DAY 7. OFF

I normally approach training from a problem solving angle. When there is a specific problem to fix I prefer to go all out for a brief period of time, doing everything possible to solve the issue. Then move on to something else. Even if the problem might not be 100% solved after 5 weeks, just the fact that you hit the target muscles often will make you more efficient at recruiting them and it will be easier to make them grow in the future.[/quote]

Ok thanks for the feedback. I really do appreciate you taking the time out to give me your thoughts. Is there any place we can perhaps purchase the this specialization program you mentioned? Do you have a website or anything?

Thanks


#19

[quote]sidhu524 wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]sidhu524 wrote:
I was thinking about doing a routine something like this and see what you think.
Day 1: Chest+Back Thickness
Day 2: Legs
Day 3: Back Width (The Indigo Specialization routine)
Day 4: Shoulder (Focus on the Width)

Thanks for your help if you get a chance to look it over.

[/quote]

It’s both lats/teres and lateral deltoid that will give you a wide look. When I do a specialization program (actually lats and deltoid specialization is something I often do with physique competitors) I normally devote 3 training days per week to develop the target muscles and the rest of the body is trained at maintenance level over 1 or 2 days. This is normally done for 3 to 5 weeks.

A week would look like this:

DAY 1. Lats and delts workout 1
DAY 2. Legs
DAY 3. Lats and delts workout 2
DAY 4. OFF
DAY 5. Chest and arms
DAY 6. Lats and delts workout 3
DAY 7. OFF

I normally approach training from a problem solving angle. When there is a specific problem to fix I prefer to go all out for a brief period of time, doing everything possible to solve the issue. Then move on to something else. Even if the problem might not be 100% solved after 5 weeks, just the fact that you hit the target muscles often will make you more efficient at recruiting them and it will be easier to make them grow in the future.[/quote]

Ok thanks for the feedback. I really do appreciate you taking the time out to give me your thoughts. Is there any place we can perhaps purchase the this specialization program you mentioned? Do you have a website or anything?

Thanks[/quote]

No in both cases… but I wrote a program called HSS-100 that included a spec option if memory serves me well.


#20

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]sidhu524 wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]sidhu524 wrote:
I was thinking about doing a routine something like this and see what you think.
Day 1: Chest+Back Thickness
Day 2: Legs
Day 3: Back Width (The Indigo Specialization routine)
Day 4: Shoulder (Focus on the Width)

Thanks for your help if you get a chance to look it over.

[/quote]

It’s both lats/teres and lateral deltoid that will give you a wide look. When I do a specialization program (actually lats and deltoid specialization is something I often do with physique competitors) I normally devote 3 training days per week to develop the target muscles and the rest of the body is trained at maintenance level over 1 or 2 days. This is normally done for 3 to 5 weeks.

A week would look like this:

DAY 1. Lats and delts workout 1
DAY 2. Legs
DAY 3. Lats and delts workout 2
DAY 4. OFF
DAY 5. Chest and arms
DAY 6. Lats and delts workout 3
DAY 7. OFF

I normally approach training from a problem solving angle. When there is a specific problem to fix I prefer to go all out for a brief period of time, doing everything possible to solve the issue. Then move on to something else. Even if the problem might not be 100% solved after 5 weeks, just the fact that you hit the target muscles often will make you more efficient at recruiting them and it will be easier to make them grow in the future.[/quote]

Ok thanks for the feedback. I really do appreciate you taking the time out to give me your thoughts. Is there any place we can perhaps purchase the this specialization program you mentioned? Do you have a website or anything?

Thanks[/quote]

No in both cases… but I wrote a program called HSS-100 that included a spec option if memory serves me well.[/quote]

Oh ok. Yea I actually was looking at your HSS 100 Back Specialization routine and perhaps combining that with your “Shoulders of Steel” workout that you also posted while back, that you also said was your personal favorite for developing wide shoulders. So if do that option I am gonna have 3 back days along with a shoulder day and then a final legs+chest day. Would that work? or Should I just do the HSS 100 Back by itself.

Thanks