Cstan097's Training Log

What is that btw? I get the gist but what are the details?

Pretty much as it suggests in the top post of the thread. I honestly couldn’t do a better job of describing it than Chris.

5/3/1 didn’t mesh with my mindset that much actually. You might be the same. Even though you get a chance for PRs, I didn’t like the planned weights. It’s much more pleasant for my mindset to go to the gym and hit a couple absolutely killer sets then go home. I’ve been seeing better progress from minimalist stuff than I was with 5/3/1 when I was training 3x as much. Of course, that doesn’t discount 5/3/1 as a program; it just means it didn’t work for me as well as what I’m doing now

Didn’t know there was a thread. I’ll look it up.

Yeah. The big thing for me I think is I don’t like performing movements once a week. My squats have never felt worse even though I am stronger.

1 Like

Its here

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Been off of here a while. Figured I would just pick up from the old log to remind myself to keep going rather than start a new one. I have been working out a couple of weeks after a really long layoff due to new job, covid, and health issues I have been having so I am excited to get back into it. Rucked with 40 lb yesterday for an hour at about 3.5 mph pace and am currently sitting at about 220lb with about 27~30% bf. The goal is to get down to 13 to 15 % while improving in strength in whatever way I can. Right now I am just doing a 3x5 to get back into it and after a few months I will probably switch over to 531 or something similar.

Today’s workout:
bench 185 lb x 5,5,10
close grip bench 165 lb x5, 5, 175 lb x 6
lateral raises (superset with front raises) 15 lb x 12, 11, 10 (15 lb x 5,4,4)
ruck for an 68 min at 3 mph pace (killer on the shoulders after the superset)

Eating 150 g of protien and about 1500 kcal a day which seems to be about a 800 calorie deficit for me before considering cardio. I was at 2000 kcal but this was not moving at all or really slowly so I dropped an extra 500 and added in the 7 day a week walk which estimates put in 350 - 450 kcal without weight and 600 to 900 kcal with 40 lb weight vest so hopefully doing some of that every day helps me lose what I need to which is about 40 to 50 lb at this point.

2 Likes

Old injury was aggravated from rucking two days in a row so just walked for 20 min or so after working out.

Squat 255 x 6, 6, 5
Deadlift 265 x 5 need to reset better between. Always an issue
Underhand rows 195 x 8 all time pr, 7,6
Barbel curls 65x 8, 5,5

Will add 10 lb to squat deadline and rows next time. Switching to double progression since in deficit. 21 min walking. Some starting photos although sadly this is after losing 20 lb already. Probably around 26 to 30 percent bodyfat and looking to get as low as I can before to really focus on adding muscle. Preferably 13 percent or so.

Welcome back dude

Thanks man

1 Like

Ok so I guess this log might be most useful if I journal things other than just workouts too. So basically the past year and a half has failed because of lack of time/poor time management. Having two young kids and a wife has made it difficult to fit in workouts. The only way I figure this will work is me waking up at 5 am so I can have 2 hours to workout and eat and get ready for work at 7 am so I am giving that a go. The first day went great. The second and third not so much. Once my daughter woke up from 4:30 am to 6:30 am and then this morning I slept through my alarm. Still managed to get in a 2.13 MI walk with 40 lb and pushing toddlers on a tricycle for 43 min. Still getting used to rucks again so I will probably just walk without weight tomorrow and then at some point I want to add in HIIT.

2 Likes

Run deep water beginner

Well I think that would be several jumps from where I am at right now and I want to lose bodyfat so I am eating in a deficit which means I wouldn’t be eating to support muscle growth and I am pretty sure not eating like he says from what other people have told me. It is something I have in mind for the future though.

Woke up at 5:30 am this morning after not being able to sleep till after 10pm last night. Melatonin and meds didn’t kick in fast enough so will take the melatonin sooner and hopefully that will fix it along with just getting used to the schedule. Lower body was tight and sore so I just stretched for some time and then will go on a walk with the kids later today shooting for 40 min to an hour.

I don’t think I want to log my food here every day as it is a hassle but I do want to at least give an overview so I can look back on it. As mentioned, I am currently at around 1500 cal give or take about 100 depending on the day (most of the time within 20 or so cal). This typically consists of around 150g of protien (based on lean body mass estimate of 150 to 160 lb). I typically eat the same kinds of meals every day:
chicken, salmon, shrimp, lean ground beef or bison, eggs, 2% milk, low carb tortillas, greek yogurt blended with fruit, brown rice, quinoa, kodiak waffles (high protien and fiber and they are tasty), fruits mainly consisting of berries, bananas, tangerines, mangoes, and plums. Veggies are mostly broccoli. I also have probably too much creamer with my daily coffee intake.
My biggest issues that I am trying to address are lack of veggies, too much sugar from almond creamer, and lack of fiber (fixed by veggie intake). I am shooting over the next couple of weeks to lower the coffee and creamer to two cups with 4 tbsp of creamer which would be just 12 g of sugar (pretty much my only non fruit source so I think it is ok idk), increase fiber to 35 g per day, increase veggie intake to the recommended 3 servings per day at least with some variety (i.e. not just 3 cups of broccoli occasionally like I have been doing). Water intake is about a gallon a day and supplements are whey protien, creatine monohydrate, and bcaas after workouts.

Guess I should put some goals too. Going to be moving into a new house soon so that might mess with schedule a little but I think some good goals are:
by September 1st 2021 (~1.5 months)
205 lb body weight
325 lb for 5 DL (+70 lb)
305 lb for 5 Squat (+ 45 lb)
245 lb for 5 Bench (+30 lb)
145 lb for 5 OHP (+20 lb)
225 lb for 5 rows of some sort underhand, overhand doesn’t matter (+30 lb)

edit: Two other goals
be able to run for 30 min straight (faster way to burn calories)
get conditioning and work capacity up enough to do the program outlined in post right below without having to adjust or add in extra rest days (might take some working up to)

2 Likes

Ran for 16 min 53 sec at 12.5 min mile pace which I know sucks but it is something and my goal is just to build up a base right now. I have been considering how to schedule everything and I am all or nothing so I feel like it might be a but much but here is the plan. Basically stealing some words and strength layout from cffb with some running to increase energy expenditure.

Monday: squats, press, heavy wod, assistance, then walk for 30 min or so
Tuesday: Deadlift rows, heavy wod, assistance, 3 run (work up to 30 min)
Wednesday: weighted walk
Thursday: squats, bench, heavy wod, assistance,
Walk 30 min or so
Friday: power cleans, rows, heavy wod, assistance, run
Saturday:heavy wod, walk weighted
Sunday: walk

I likely won’t recover well but I expect to be sore and I expect it to suck so probably won’t make ridiculous gains here. Wost case I drop the running. I feel like if I am fatigued though then it must be working lol.We will see how it goes. Weight loss is primary goal and everything else is secondary to that till I am at a healthy weight.

3 Likes

Woke up at 5 am even after not getting good sleep till midnight last night (melatonin isn’t really helping but hopefully I will get adjusted) , but like a few days ago my daughter was up so I couldn’t get my workout in when I wanted. Busy day with appointments today but still shooting to get in my strength training and circuit. Likely won’t have time for a walk.

1 Like

we getting up at 4am tomorrow?

1 Like

hahaha I don’t think I can do that early but if it comes down to it then I might just have to. Hopefully this is just a thing that happens occasionally and on those days I can just do workouts later in the day with really short rest and cut out the walks.

1 Like

Thursday
52 min

squat 260 lb x 4, 6, 4 (need more warmups, moving to 265)
bench 190 lbx 5, 10, 5 (again more warmups, too gassed after the 10 to failure, moving to 195)

thrusters as many as possible in 15 min with 115 lb
22 reps
need mobility in wrist and arms for this plus work on form

close grip bench 170 lb x 5, 5, 2

lateral raises (superset with front raises) 15 lb each
10 (5), 10 (5), 10 (5)

So more elaboration on what I am doing. Since time is an issue a lot, I am doing a layered approach. Strength first, then metcon, then assistance for extra volume, then cardio for more calories burned. Go as far as I can as time allows. Today I had to cut out the walk. I was sucking wind on the thrusters even though the weight wasn’t heavy, so I will definitely come back to this to work on it more.

2 Likes