CSCS Exam Thread

This is my first post here and I apologize for not chiming in sooner as I’ve been following it during my prep for the CSCS. I appreciate everyone’s help here tremendously…All said, I sat for my test a week ago – aced the scientific, but just missed the Practical by 2 Qs! It’s a bitter pill to swallow, but having zero background in Exercise Science and doing all the prep on my own, I felt like it was a small achievement…My father actually is a professor in Ex. Sci. and said his grad students (Masters in Coaching) routinely fail this exam.

Funny: I did very well on the practice tests. My feeling about the new format is the 3-answer type allows for more content, which these Qs did have compared to the practice tests. Of course, that wasn’t true for all Qs (eg, simple recall-type questions), but for many the information was denser. So, there’s a tradeoff IMO. The 4-answer formation was trickier in terms of elimination (I took the GMAT and this was the strategy), but those with extra content made this negligible.

Now I’m sitting in that 90-day limbo-land. If I could jump in there tomorrow, I could probably do just fine, but I have to wait. I’m wondering if anyone could chime in about the NSCA-CPT. I have a contingent offer for a job in a gym and I need something. I have no aspirations of working in the NCAA or pro sports; the CSCS was the most interesting content-wise and that’s why I went for it, even though it was a huge stretch for me. But so close! My thinking now is to go for the CPT with a week or two of prep (while all the info is fresh) and then take the CSCS later. I see lots of people have both certs anyway…

Anyway, thanks again for all the help here (to everyone). Good luck to those taking the test soon!

[quote]MIGHTYHEALTHY72 wrote:
Error in chapter 5 which im studying for as i type this.

A weightlifter adds 30 minutes of intense (>75% V . O2 max) stationary bicycle riding every other day to her resistance training program. Which of the following describes the GREATEST effect this addition will have on her performance?

power gains will be compromised b. power gains will be enhanced c. aerobic capacity improvements will be compromised d. aerobic capacity improvements will be enhanced

i chose a., but the book has b for the correct one. Anybody else catch this
[/quote]

Yeah! haha i actually was stumped over that when i read it earlier today. i got the same thing you did.

I passed!!!

Thanks to this thread it really motivated me to take the CSCS exam. Thanks to everyone for posting and sharing…it really helped me.

Here are my thoughts and experience:

1. I’ve had other certifications before, and I must say that the CSCS exam is by far the best in terms of increasing your knowledge on training (even your own training). It blows other certifications out of the water and now I see why all the best trainers have this one. I learned so much.

2. Another reason I took the CSCS was because they have the best CEU’s. The CEU’s on my other certifications sucked. With this one I can go to the best seminars and learn from the best coaches and actually get credit for it. Perform better, Joe Defranco & Smitty Seminars, Precision Nutrition and everything that I was already going to see, but now I can get credit for it.

What I did to Pass:

Ok, you gotta study for this one. Maybe it’s easier for others with an Exercise Science degree, but my major was Econ so I had to learn all this stuff from scratch. My friend who’s also a trainer told me about how he used the practice exams from passcoachexam.com to pass so I went with those.

Here’s all I did… and just kept it simple.

1. I bought the Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning textbook off Amazon.
  2. I read through each chapter and answered the questions at the end of each chapter.
  3. After that, I just went straight to the practice exams at passcoachexam.com (they have 3 exams with tons of questions).
  4. I bombed on my first few practice exams (you realize how much you don’t actually retain until your asked a question…haha), but I would go back and study the ones I got wrong and just kept taking them over and over again until I got better.
  5. Once I was hitting about 80-90% on the exams (which they score for you) I just signed up for the exam and boom I was ready.

The Actual Test:

1. I signed up for the CSCS Computer-Based Exam. It cost a bit more, but I think it was worth it since you have more flexibility in terms of when you can take it. You can schedule up to 2 days before the testing date.
  2. Got to the testing site and there’s a bunch of other people taking computer exams (all different types of test).
  3. Overall I felt like I knew most of the answers and felt confident, but occasionally you get some where you can narrow it down to 2 answers and it’s a toss up.
  4. I must say that taking the practice exams online helped since the actual test is online.
  5. It’s also a long exam as kotero1989 mentioned so having the endurance to sit for that takes practice too, which is why practice exams are perfect.

I actually only train general population 1 on 1 and feel like the CSCS helps me tremendously. Having the in depth knowledge of how to train athletes makes training general pop clients a breeze and gives you confidence.

Hope this all helps…

This thread has been very helpful and congrats to everyone who passed the exam. I just graduated with a B.S. in kinesiology and I’m taking the CSCS in a month. After reading through the book and taking some practice quizzes I feel that my week areas are in speed, agility, and endurance development, performance enhancing substances, and plyometric chapters.

Does anyone know how often these kind of questions come up on the exam and have any other study tips besides read the chapters over again?

I also just got an internship with the S&C department at the D1 university where I live. I get to work with most of the sports except football and its an awesome experience so far. I feel like this will hep out greatly with the exercise technique portion of the exam as well. After I finish my internship I plan to get a masters degree in physical education/sports administration.

While working for my masters I hope to get another internship or GA spot with this other university’s S&C department. I know this field is competitive and you have to pay your dues but do you guys think this is a good start for someone wanting to work in the college S&C filed and maybe one day move into a director of S&C spot?

[quote]craigmacbjj wrote:
This thread has been very helpful and congrats to everyone who passed the exam. I just graduated with a B.S. in kinesiology and I’m taking the CSCS in a month. After reading through the book and taking some practice quizzes I feel that my week areas are in speed, agility, and endurance development, performance enhancing substances, and plyometric chapters.

Does anyone know how often these kind of questions come up on the exam and have any other study tips besides read the chapters over again?

I also just got an internship with the S&C department at the D1 university where I live. I get to work with most of the sports except football and its an awesome experience so far. I feel like this will hep out greatly with the exercise technique portion of the exam as well. After I finish my internship I plan to get a masters degree in physical education/sports administration.

While working for my masters I hope to get another internship or GA spot with this other university’s S&C department. I know this field is competitive and you have to pay your dues but do you guys think this is a good start for someone wanting to work in the college S&C filed and maybe one day move into a director of S&C spot? [/quote]

Hey Man,

I’ve been away from this thread for too long. I’m committed to maintaining it as a resource.

To your questions. There is no part of the book that I would say is ok, not to know. In particular the progression of plyo’s is important. For example, they may show you an athlete doing a depth jump and the ask what would be the most likely progression after that etc. Same with speed stuff and PEDs. Those were very well represented on my test. Since you just recently graduated I’m guessing some chapters are pretty basic. especially the science part. Focus extra attention on the practical chapters. I literally spent whole days on those chapters.

As to the internship. I think youre doing the right thing for sure. Not only are you learning the ropes and the application but you are networking as well. Just get as much experience as you can in the coming couple years. The internship track pays huge dividends IMO. Doing my internship saved me years of wasteful energy spent learning at a lesser gym where I was getting paid.

[quote]coachben wrote:
I passed!!!

Thanks to this thread it really motivated me to take the CSCS exam. Thanks to everyone for posting and sharing…it really helped me.

Here are my thoughts and experience:

1. I’ve had other certifications before, and I must say that the CSCS exam is by far the best in terms of increasing your knowledge on training (even your own training). It blows other certifications out of the water and now I see why all the best trainers have this one. I learned so much.

2. Another reason I took the CSCS was because they have the best CEU’s. The CEU’s on my other certifications sucked. With this one I can go to the best seminars and learn from the best coaches and actually get credit for it. Perform better, Joe Defranco & Smitty Seminars, Precision Nutrition and everything that I was already going to see, but now I can get credit for it.

What I did to Pass:

Ok, you gotta study for this one. Maybe it’s easier for others with an Exercise Science degree, but my major was Econ so I had to learn all this stuff from scratch. My friend who’s also a trainer told me about how he used the practice exams from passcoachexam.com to pass so I went with those.

Here’s all I did… and just kept it simple.

1. I bought the Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning textbook off Amazon.
  2. I read through each chapter and answered the questions at the end of each chapter.
  3. After that, I just went straight to the practice exams at passcoachexam.com (they have 3 exams with tons of questions).
  4. I bombed on my first few practice exams (you realize how much you don’t actually retain until your asked a question…haha), but I would go back and study the ones I got wrong and just kept taking them over and over again until I got better.
  5. Once I was hitting about 80-90% on the exams (which they score for you) I just signed up for the exam and boom I was ready.

The Actual Test:

1. I signed up for the CSCS Computer-Based Exam. It cost a bit more, but I think it was worth it since you have more flexibility in terms of when you can take it. You can schedule up to 2 days before the testing date.
  2. Got to the testing site and there’s a bunch of other people taking computer exams (all different types of test).
  3. Overall I felt like I knew most of the answers and felt confident, but occasionally you get some where you can narrow it down to 2 answers and it’s a toss up.
  4. I must say that taking the practice exams online helped since the actual test is online.
  5. It’s also a long exam as kotero1989 mentioned so having the endurance to sit for that takes practice too, which is why practice exams are perfect.

I actually only train general population 1 on 1 and feel like the CSCS helps me tremendously. Having the in depth knowledge of how to train athletes makes training general pop clients a breeze and gives you confidence.

Hope this all helps…

[/quote]

Congrats man! and thanks for adding your experience. Every little bit helps. All great suggestions and advice.

Been lurking in this thread as I was getting prepared to take the test and decided to make an account and share my experience with it to hopefully help someone taking it, just as you all helped me so much.

A little bit of background on myself: I’m 24 years old with a bachelor’s in criminal justice and I’m a reservist in the Marine Corps. I did it kind of backwards, but I did college first and then joined the Marines for reasons way too long to describe here. Anyway, while I was in college I had thought about getting into personal training, as I was basically doing it for all my friends for free anyway. Before that idea could blossom, however, I joined the Marine Corps and told my recruiter to ship me out ASAP (looking back I really don’t think I fully grasped what I was asking for XD). Anyway, since I was a reservist, it was a long ass six months and I was back into civilian life with no job and a long wait period while the PD’s I applied for did my background check. My personal training interest came back up – especially now that I just spent the last half year learning all new ways to get slayed – and I talked with some guys at my gym who I knew knew what they were doing about their own certs. I eventually landed on the CSCS. I was kind of thinking about the TSAC, because that is the main demographic I wan to train, but there just wasn’t enough literature on it for me to decide how it was. Anyway, the CSCS not only put to use my bachelor’s degree quietly collecting dust on my wall, but it’s views, goals, and techniques most closely aligned with my own.

So, that’s my background and the why, so now for how I studied. I’ve always been a good test taker in school. Granted, criminal justice undergrad classes and any test the Marine Corps gives you is not anything noteworthy, but regardless I would usually study a bit the night before and do reasonably well. This time though, I didn’t want to take any chances. I saw the pass and fail rates and I saw the material and I saw my bank account get subtracted $400 or whatever, so I wanted to ace this thing. Bought the book off Amazon and just read a chapter a day. There were some weeks in there where I wouldn’t read it at all because sometimes life just throws curve balls at you, but overall the pace was steady and I finished in roughly 2 months. I highlighted, underlined, wrote footnotes – mainly on information that I believed would directly pertain to a career as a personal trainer – did the quizzes in the back and made sure I understood why I got the questions wrong or right. Then I bought all of the practice tests from the NSCA website and went through those. Got like 70% or below on all of them and then went through each question I was even slightly confused on and reread and understood the concept of what the question was asking. The anatomy was probably the biggest hurdle, and still is, so I’d recommend taking some type of anatomy class or something, even if it’s quick. I know what deltoids and biceps, and whatever else is, but the specific muscles like psoas major and bicep femoris and muscles that I can’t even remember the name of because they sounded made up were on the test. I studied one diagram of muscles that the book provides, but it wasn’t enough. Do your own research on that front if you don’t have any anatomy experience.

That actual test was chill. Just like taking the practice tests at home, except now you’re not at home and there a shit ton more. I know some people have said previous versions of the test had wonky wording, but I think they’ve really improved on that front. Don’t get me wrong, some questions or answers had me just staring at the screen with drool coming out of my mouth, but overall they were well written and the answers weren’t too ambiguous or aimed to trip you up. It’s a 3 answer format, which apparently they changed to recently from what I’ve read.

They made me take the practical/applied portion first, which kind of tripped me up, but I got through it. Took a break, did a quick 15 minute review session in the bathroom, and took the second half. When I got done, I had already submitted my transcripts and CPR/AED stuff, so they printed out the results right there. Much to my chagrin, only the scientific foundation scores printed, which I passed, but I’m still in the dark if I passed the practical/applied. They said I’d get an email pretty soon here and I’m getting a little antsy, but I think I did well on it. One thing I suggest is learning sports. It sounds obvious, but I’m not too big into sports and so when they asked a question about specific positions and maneuvers, I kind of wasn’t sure. It sounded pretty self explanatory, but you never know. There was some question about keeping up with a wide receiver if he does… something. I can’t remember, but I think it had something to do with cutting across the field. Probably should have thought to brush up on that though when I’m taking an exam for a sports-centered cert though, huh? Such is life.

Get familiar with those standards and norms for different tests by the way. Like for each type of athlete. Additionally, I remember reading somewhere that you could only watch the video demonstration once. That’s not true. I could play it as many times as I wanted. Most errors were pretty obvious, actually, but there was one or two where I’m like “well, kind of, I guess he could work on that.” The biggest offender was a demonstration of the power clean. I had it down between continue with the current form or keep the bar closer to the body. The bar seemed a little far, but it kind of looked like that’s just how his arm works. Hard to explain, I guess. Not really sure how to study for that other than watch videos of all the techniques. I hear there’s a video portion you can buy of the book. Looking back, I’d buy that. Would really help with that portion.

So, still waiting on the results for the practical/applied. Even if I didn’t pass, I still learned so much from this book. If I failed, I think I might go for the CPT while I wait for the 90 days to take it again. Would at least get my foot into the door for certification, but no doubt the CSCS is a great one to have and I’m glad I went for it.

Just took the CSCS Exam and wanted to provide insights while it is fresh in my mind. My background is a just recently completing a BS in Exercise Science, with no gym training. I took 2 months to study, one month to read the book (about a chapter per day) and another month to review. About 2 weeks before the exam I, purchased the practice exam for $135 on the NSCA and looked at my weaknesses. In my opinion purchasing the practice test is absolutely necessary because the real thing mirrors it. Based on percentages, for the practice tests, I got a 74% on the Exercise Science/Nutrition part, and a 72% on the Applied portion. On the real thing I got an 83% (66/80) on Exercise science and an 85% on the Practical section (93/110)

Changes to the exam that differ from earlier in this thread:

1. Practical section is before the exercise science section
  2. You are allowed to watch the videos as many times as you want to
  3. 3 answer choices instead of 4

75% of the test had some common themes and with these tips I almost guarantee you will pass.

1. For the exercise science portion: A lot of questions on the adaptations to wither resistance training/aerobic training. If you have the 3rd Edition of NSCA’s essentials of personal training, I STRONGLY suggest memorizing Tables 5.1 on page 96 and Table 6.1 on page 128. You will get a large number of questions right by knowing everything in these tables. Also memorize table 5.1 on page 95 which is “Primary Metabolic Demands of Various Sports.” This table applies to both sections, so when they ask questions like “Which of these exercises would be best for a baseball player?” you know exactly what to answer.
  2. For the applied section, it is HEAVILY focused on program design. Even the exercise technique questions have aspects of program design in them. The big table to memorize here is Table 19.1. Know every single thing in that table. I mean this in the most serious way possible, if you memorize this table you can get at least 50% of the questions right off the bat. You can look these up on your own, but if you memorize Tables 15.7, 15.10. 15.11. 15.12. 15.4. 15.6. 15.9, along with 19.1, That is literally 75% of the applied portion. The rest mainly focuses on exercise technique, but for most it’s hard to study for, you just have to see what’s wrong, but most are fairly obvious. I purchased NSCA’s Exercise Technique Manual, and the two DVDs explaining the exercises/muscles used helped me ALOT. Also know the order that tests should be given in and what energy system each tests measures. Also you absolutely NEED to memorize the 50% percentiles of bench press, squat, power clean, VO2max, and vertical jump. This is vital because a large number of questions give a list of 1 RM of different things for an athlete and tells you what they should improve.

Some random tips: Definitely study the adjustments you need to make for youth/older populations, there were a few questions on sport psychology but you could basically answer them without reading the chapter, know what substances are banned by organizations like the NCAA/IOC, and side effects of the major performance enhancers. Know everything about testosterone and growth hormone.

Hope this helps

Hi everyone,
Saw this thread (and though it looks like there haven’t been any posts for a while) wanted to just say thanks for everyone contributing their input, especially the starter of the thread. I think this is going to help me IMMENSELY in getting ready for my CSCS exam. Hoping to sit for it in a couple months, and have been on and off studying for a while, but now I have more time on my hands to do so.
Was wondering if anyone has taken it recently? I didn’t realize that the format had changed in the last few years. I have a pretty decent background in the field, worked as a S&C coach at a small university though no degree, just a minor in physiology. That being said, I know that I need to know the book, which is a phrase I kept reading as I went through this thread. Trying to not get nervous about it, haha. I definitely need to just put in the work and trust.
Thanks for any input! Hope everyone’s careers and schooling is going well!

Hey man I am taking the CSCS in two days. There is a awesome website that has alot of questions that will help you learn the information CSCS Study Questions: Structure and Function of Body Systems it has really helped me also listen to Erichampton the comment above yours… Shoot I am…hahaha

Thanks it did i am taking test in two days thanks man fa real…