CSCS Cert & Study Materials

First, I wasn’t sure which forum to post this in - hopefully this is the right one, if not I apologize.

Anyway, has anyone recently gotten their CSCS Cert? If so, how was it? I’ve had my ACSM-CPT for about 3 years now and am thinking about upgrading to CSCS this summer. If anyone has experience with both I’d really appreciate hearing about the differences in exam material.

Also, and this is a stretch, but if anyone has recently taken the exam and is willing to sell/lend their exam study materials I’d be very interested. I just finished my B.S. so I’m looking for any way to save a few bucks on this thing. Thanks!

I’m in the same boat. Anyone willing to send a study guide or sell one would be greatly appreciated.

My materials are a bit outdated, and worn out so can’t really help you there.

But to your other question, the CSCS can be beneficial. But it depends on what you are trying to accomplish long term. I have great respect for ACSM, NASM, and other certs. But CSCS was the best fit for my work and personal improvement.

This is the same reason I am pursuing a CISSN.

So I could probably advise better if you explained why you feel you need to “upgrade”

Passed mine about 3 months ago.

Take as many of the practice tests that you can, they will prepare you for the format and style of the questions. Study wise the NSCA text is essential. Briefly going over most of the sections is enough, but you’ll want to pay special attention to aerobic metabolism (regular and exercise) and plyometrics/power development. Those two alone made up a good 1/4 of the test I took. The video section is also a joke if you’ve ever been in a gym at all, I recall a question about DB flys and another about wrist curls.

Hope that helps.

OP,

Read the text and skip the sports psychology. If you can’t pass the test after reading the book, please do not continue in the strength and conditioning world. You’ll only bring it down. If you don’t plan on training athletes, take the NSCA-CPT. In all honesty, the CPT was harder than the CSCS.

Barachiel,

I agree with the ACSM and NSCA but not the NASM. The NASM PES and CES are OPEN book. Pathetic.

OP,

Read the text and skip the sports psychology. If you can’t pass the test after reading the book, please do not continue in the strength and conditioning world. You’ll only bring it down. If you don’t plan on training athletes, take the NSCA-CPT. In all honesty, the CPT was harder than the CSCS.

Barachiel,

I agree with the ACSM and NSCA but not the NASM. The NASM PES and CES are OPEN book. Pathetic.