T Nation

CS - H.I.T. and Trouser Soiling

Great blog Chris.

I am really interested in this Book. I was a little kid back in the day when Ahnuld, Franco etc hit the stages. It seems that over time people have forgotten about the basics. Am currently reading Arnold’s BB encyclopedia and notice that he seems to really stress power training to build a foundation prior to going to anything else. Obviously I don’t have his freaky genetics and am not interested in anabolics so his suggested programs are a little much. But what I get from his book is to stick to the compounds exercises for awhile. To me this makes sense but am wondering if this HIT method of training is going to be too much for someone like me at this point? I am really interested in trying it out but dont want to start something I am not ready for. Basically I just started weight training again a few months ago and am trying to lose body fat at this time. I was stagnant for about 9 years.

My current program is 2 day split so I work my upper and lower body twice per week. My program is planned around squats, bench, chins, rows and deadlifts.

cheers!

[quote]iluminatae wrote:
Great blog Chris.

To me this makes sense but am wondering if this HIT method of training is going to be too much for someone like me at this point? Basically I just started weight training again a few months ago and am trying to lose body fat at this time. I was stagnant for about 9 years.

My current program is 2 day split so I work my upper and lower body twice per week. My program is planned around squats, bench, chins, rows and deadlifts.

cheers![/quote]

Not a bad split at all. But if you want to bring that to three days per week and try a New HIT-ish program, you could do this:

1. Train full body Mon, Wed, Fri (or whatever).

2. Do one exercise for each major muscle group: chest, back, etc.

3. Do 1-2 sets for each exercise. Take 2nd set to failure. BTW, I agree with Tim Patterson - so far at least - that two sets are needed. The 1st, though not a “warm up” really and more of a real set - prepares and helps you optimize the 2nd. I don’t think I’ll ever be a one set to failure guy, but I may try it someday. Who knows.

4. Modify. If it feels like it’s too much, first look to improve recovery - better sleep, use Surge, etc. Second, drop direct arm and maybe direct shoulder training. Or try the one set thing. Hey, you never know.

Darden provides some beginner (or just-back-in-the-game) programs in his book, but I haven’t really looked at them yet.

In short, I think you’ll do fine on a program like this, just don’t be afraid to modify and change it as needed.

One more thing, the New HIT approach contains a not-to-failure or NTF day. I haven’t studied up on this much within the New HIT context, but it’s an interesting twist - a twist many diehard HITters are freaking out about.

Still, I took one today because I entered the gym feeling tired (long day, training hours later than normal, plus w/o partner had to miss) so we’ll see how it works out. So if you do feel this is too much, consider an NTF day, or just an extra day off.

I am going to try the three day full body routine this coming week starting Monday.

My biggest problem is over analyzing what I am doing and seem to be trying to build the perfect program…only to re-adjust it every month, which I suppose isn’t all that bad anyway.

Can’t wait for the reviews on that book!! Am holding off buying until I hear what people think about it.