CS: Do The Opposite

This leanest summer ever is a great goal, but does it mean that you’re cutting your total body training experiment short?

Or are you planning on maintaining this style of training while manipulating diet and supplements to lean out?

I haven’t decided on the exact training I’ll use. Right now I’m thinking it will be Waterbury influenced so it might just be a full body program.
(For those who have no idea what we’re talking about, read this: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=538216 )

But here’s something I’ll be talking about later in the web log: training for fat loss vs. dieting for fat loss. Basically, I don’t think the particular style of training makes a huge difference provided certain things are covered. Fat loss is about diet, not training.

That’s a gross simplification, but gross simplifications get the point across better sometimes.

If I remember correctly, isn’t Fat Fast a kamikaze cutting cycle? Are you planning on doing an extended version of it through 'till summer, or several fat loss cycles?

RIT Jared

Good luck Chris, you are quite the role model. Sometimes.

Are you going to include photographic evidence of your experiment? Kind of like what CT did with his ‘Beast Evolves’?

[quote]RIT Jared wrote:
If I remember correctly, isn’t Fat Fast a kamikaze cutting cycle? Are you planning on doing an extended version of it through 'till summer, or several fat loss cycles?

RIT Jared[/quote]

The original plan was supposed to last 4 weeks. Most people, including Brock, didn’t last that long. I lasted three days and felt so horrible I quit.

I’ve always thought that the Fat Fast, in its original form, was okay for a “jump start” to a more sensible fat loss diet. However, with the modifications I have in mind, I think it might be a good 4-6 week plan. I’m just going to dive in and adjust as I go.

The “New Fat Fast” or whatever is only a starting point on a longer journey.

And remember, it’s all a big experiment at this point. What I’m doing is web logging the process “live” instead of just doing it and writing an article months from now. So things are going to change as it goes along. You guys will get to hear how it’s going as it happens instead of just reading a polished article later. I just thought that would be interesting and maybe educational. Or maybe humorous if I fail and you laugh.

Can’t wait to see what you come up with Chris! I have had the same goal in mind for myself for awhile now. Good luck man!

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Are you going to include photographic evidence of your experiment? Kind of like what CT did with his ‘Beast Evolves’?[/quote]

Maybe. This is a toughy. See, if I look good I’ll have to listen to idiots accuse me of Photoshop and steroids and ab etching. (Thib did. In fact, I still see threads on other sites accusing him of every nasty thing possible, including using two different people in the photos!)

If I happen (gasp!) not look like exactly like a honky Ronnie Coleman, I’ll have to hear from even more idiots about how I’m not “hardcore” enough. Funny thing is, it’s usually the same idiots, which I like to visualize at fatass teenagers who can’t get laid and therefore get on the Internet to spread woe.

Or if I somehow look just right, I’ll have to deal with idiots making fun of my haircut or chest hair or lack of chest hair or the wallpaper in the background. . . And if I’m too tan I’ll be called a fag for using a tanning bed. Or if I’m too white I’ll be called a fag who needs to get a “fuckin’ tan!” Or if they can’t think of anything else, then I’ll get blasted for daring to mention that I used some Biotest supplements or blasted for a joke I made four years ago in another article.

So the question is, do I want to deal with idiots for the next two years or just write the article/blog and present the info?

I read something interesting over the weekend. It was an article about Arnold and his wife. In it, Maria talks about how she went to Nancy Reagan for advice when Arnold decided to run for governor. Nancy said, “You’re going to get criticized no matter what you do, so fuck’em, do what you want.”

Okay, she didn’t say “fuck’em” but if she would have that would’ve rocked.

So, we’ll see.

Chris, great blog entry… i had been musing over samurai lifestyle and zen buddhism among other things. They enjoyed lives of simplicity and order. They found beauty in not having excess, unlike the clutter our new societies enjoy.

I’ve been through a lot in the past few months. And realized that yes I need to do the opposite. It’s a hard pull between ‘being the best’, by your standards or there’s.

Thanks for reinforcing the point.

Good Luck with your diet!

~ Xen

This really will be an interesting piece.

Awesome blog entry, Chris. I’m definitely looking forward to seeing how this diet progresses. I tried something like this last year (a modified Fat Fast to kick start a ketogenic, “Beast Evolves”-inspired diet) that was moderately successful.

I have a question about your Tip of the Day, however. You mention adding a multi-grain hot cereal to oatmeal rather than just using all multi-grain cereal. Is there a reason for this besides the cost factor?

Right on Chris,

Your brief history is very close to mine as a FFB also. I too had decided a few days ago that this summer was going to be my most ripped to date. I’d be very interested if you laid what what was going to be undertaking as far as diet, training, supps, etc. and trying a simliar route. I think logging on daily and seeing someone else struggling with the diet kinda helps in a sadistic brotherly type way! Good luck either way.

Chris:

You are brave…but I’m looking forward to this series as a FFB myself. I hope to learn a thing or two from this…nuf said!

Good luck and have a Tbsp of flax oil on me!

For some reason, I am reminded of the Seinfeld episode:

George : Why did it all turn out like this for me? I had so much promise. I was personable, I was bright. Oh, maybe not academically speaking, but … I was perceptive. I always know when someone’s uncomfortable at a party. It became very clear to me sitting out there today, that every decision I’ve ever made, in my entire life, has been wrong. My life is the opposite of everything I want it to be. Every instinct I have, in every of life, be it something to wear, something to eat … It’s all been wrong.

A blonde looks at George )

Elaine : Ah, George, you know, that woman just looked at you.

George : So what? What am I supposed to do?

Elaine : Go talk to her.

George : Elaine, bald men, with no jobs, and no money, who live with their parents, don’t approach strange women.

Jerry : Well here’s your chance to try the opposite. Instead of tuna salad and being intimidated by women, chicken salad and going right up to them.

George : Yeah, I should do the opposite, I should.

Jerry : If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right.

George : Yes, I will do the opposite. I used to sit here and do nothing, and regret it for the rest of the day, so now I will do the opposite, and I will do something!

( He goes over to the woman )

George : Excuse me, I couldn’t help but notice that you were looking in my direction.

Victoria : Oh, yes I was, you just ordered the same exact lunch as me.

( G takes a deep breath )

George : My name is George. I’m unemployed and I live with my parents.

Victoria : I’m Victoria. Hi.

Go and do it and let the fat asses be damned.

Chris,

You inspired me to take another shot at “extreme” leaness.

You want to have a contest/bet and make it interesting? Make it hurt if you lose the bet. (That is the only way I can watch sports.)

How low will you go? I’m at around 10%; I’d like to get under 8. You gonna get under 8? (I’m 43 and former fat ass too.)

Wanna bet who gets under 8% or 7%? Do you feel lucky, punk? We’ll do ya?

Ha!

I like the fact you are going to be doing this “over the next few weeks”. Your experience will be sitting here well in advance of the self-imposed cutting season for many of us.

Although purposely bulking for the winter season (for the first time ever since I’m a FFB), I’m planning on leaving a 12 week window for cutting starting in March.

Good Luck CS! I too ballooned up in college.
Freshman 5’8 165 lbs 8% bf
Senior yr 5’8 205 lbs ?%bf (lots of jiggles)

After college I dropped it pretty fast and now I am in the middle of CW’s TBT and loving every minute of it!

[quote]ChrisPowers wrote:
I have a question about your Tip of the Day, however. You mention adding a multi-grain hot cereal to oatmeal rather than just using all multi-grain cereal. Is there a reason for this besides the cost factor?[/quote]

Not really. You can use plain old fashioned (not quick) oats or all multi-grain. I like a mix for texture and flavor. It’s more like a real muesli that way and it seems to be more filling.

Here’s a more detailed recipe for Bodybuilder Cereal plus an oatmeal rant:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=504123

I’ve added an update to the Experiment thread in the web log. Starting to plan things out now:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=538216

Note: I think I’ll keep adding replies to “The Experiment” thread in the blog instead of starting new ones. The little yellow dot will appear by my picture in the left hand column when I change something or add a reply or new post to the log (for members signed in at least.)