T Nation

Crunching Sound in Right Shoulder

Ok guys here's the thing, everytime I do shrugs or lateral raises with mny right arm/shoulder I here this crunching sound. It also happens where my chest and shoulder meet. It's not to painful, but it slightly affects how I throw a baseball, any ideas on how to fix it?

Is this a recent thing? Sounds like it could just be an overuse issue- possibly tendonitis or inflammation of your RC. Have you tried typical protocol for injury to see if it makes a difference (rest, ice, NSAIDS)?? How's your shoulder internal/external rotation?

Both my internal and external rotation are great, when I would go the the trainers at my school to have it stretched they were shocked at how flexable it was considering what I told them about the crunching sound.

When they weree stretching it they lay you on a table and rotate you shoulder backwards towards the floor, mine for some reason can get pretty close to having my hand point right to the ground and the internal rotation is the same way. And yes I have done regular shoulder rehab etc. maybe up the time I put ice on it?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Bushido thatnks for posting that video, I've been looking all over for it I've seen it once but it wasn't a help for the problem I was trying to get rid of at the time I watched it, but now I can try this stuff and see if it rlly works.

Hyperlaxity is absolutely NO guarantee of staying injury free. This is something those yoga nazis don't understand.

You probably already know this but just in case you don't, it bears mentioning: the shoulder socket (glenoid fossa) is a smaller than the head of the humerus (the upper arm bone). Therefore, it is critical that you keep the humeral head centered within the glenoid fossa as much as possible. This is the primary role of the rotator cuff complex (infraspinatus, teres minor, supraspinatus, subscapularis). So BBB is correct in that you need to strengthen those muscles. Also do not neglect the scapular retractors (rhomboid major/minor, mid traps) as well as scapular depressors (lower trapezius). The importance of being able to pull the scaps toward the spine and push it down cannot be stressed enough.

Also look into what the cutting edge PTs are doing in this subject. Mike Reinhold and Charlie Weingroff come to mind.

BBB and 56x11 I just found what seems to be a decent video mind checking it out and weighing in on how this could help me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y_A4xfbGUU

These guys are very well respected in the strength/conditioning community and I admire their efforts.

However, your particular case is that of hyper laxity. Therefore, the opening moves on that vid isn't the best way for you to start a workout. Also, the tempo is more dynamic than what I would personally do or have clients do first thing.

Based on the information you gave us, it appears to me that you need to strengthen the ability to center the humeral head on the glenoid fossa.

Here's a movement, I think you should do instead:

Follow this up with face pulls done with a 2-3 second contraction at the bottom position (when the hands are near the face). And keep the elbows pointing at about 8 and 4 o'clock. A lot of coaches teach this movement with the elbows pointing at 9 and 3. I suspect this creates too much risk of internal rotation and therefore impingement issues.

Just tried a few, feltr very tight and couldn't move half the way that he's going, dkno if thats a good or bad thing?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

If this or any other movement feels like you are provoking the shoulders STOP immediately. If it's a lack of strength and/or neural efficiency, use a lighter band.

Another variation is to use two light bands and anchor to something stable. The bands should be anchored about shoulder width apart and about chest height (make small adjustments as you go through the learning curve). Grap the bands with a neutral wrist and walk back so there is a small amount of pre-tension on the bands. Look straight ahead and perform the W's. The contraction will be different than what Reinold is doing. They're both good movements so try both. Remember to squeeze the scaps together and push them down. You really want to be good at scapular retraction and depression.