10/22 - 3x3 day. Best session I’ve had in the last 6 weeks since getting back to NYC. Probably a combo of last couple weeks being pretty low intensity and volume due to hamstring, and hamstring feeling pretty back to normal today - a little tight.
Also did a lot more warm-up movement and mobility, and probably 10-12 more light warm-up reps moving up to my working weight for the 3x3.
- Hang Snatch Warm-Ups to 125 for an easy double.
- Hang Power Clean - a couple warm-ups then 160 (3) 180 (3) 200 (10 in 40" - could’ve done more, but grip was failing, and and form was starting to get a shade sloppy).
- Narrow grip Bench - warm-ups then 135 (3) 155 (3) 170 (8 in 40" - this was about as many as I could do no matter what).
- Squat - warm-ups then 225 (3) 260 (3) 290 (15 in 1’ - tougher than my 3x5 where I did 275 for 15 - but still really solid - weight didn’t start really hurting till 10 reps or so).
- Pendlay Row - warm-ups then 135 (3) 155 (3) 170 (10 in 45" but this was rough, and my form was not great - not to mention could feel my hamstring very acutely).
- Plyos - Progressing these now. 14 reps gradually moving up to 9’ or so. These could definitely be further if done in running shoes instead of weightlifting shoes and on a soft surface. Weren’t all out either.
- Finisher - 23 flights of stairs. Really like this addition to the workout for a little cardio, and some work on the quads.
Gonna keep moving through 5-3-1 (day 1), running/throwing (day 2), higher rep lifting (day 3), faster running plus plyos and throws (day 4), General Strength and pump work (day 5), and active movement - sport or lots of walking (day 6). When I don’t get through all in a week, will keep the same 6 day cycle - so it might take me an average of 9 days to get through all 6.
Reflection on this progression so far: Squats progressing most easily (may have underestimated my training max), cleans still have a long way to go to get back to where I was a year ago - probably a solid 20# off, bench and row are not good (largely due to almost no work on them because of shoulder injury from seizure last year) - but improving steadily, and shoulder pain is diminishing, speed and throwing progressing very gradually.
Will probably continue this progression at least through end of the year and then likely do an 8 week block of lower rep sets with more weight.