How’d bench feel on your shoulder?
Not too bad. Kept elbows tight and touched chest pretty low.
Back to Boston tonight after a good set of NYC meetings.
This AM just did biceps, triceps, delts, and a few hundred meters of farmers carries with 60# DBs.
8/2 - lots of walking around city and went to unemployment seminar.
8/3 - traveling to FL to see the kids - so did 100 swings with 100# KB this morning.
- Walk a couple miles upon waking
- 2 miles kayak
- 90 minutes at Top Golf
Top Golf is a lot of fun, except for my wife beating me despite not hitting good shots herself. It’s a great set up though.
18 holes of golf - walking. Played pretty well, 90 this time - lots of walking, lots of elevation changes. Think I got heat stroke as just about passed out afterward!
8/9 - another full day on planes and cars and meetings - out at 630 - back at 8. Getting close to getting a new gig I think (6 weeks so far now?!). I really intended to use this to let my body get feeling good all the way around, and lose some BF - but have failed to make much progress. My legs and arms a tiny bit bigger - but body comp the same. Upper body may be a marginal amount stronger as well.
- 3k rowing warmup (11’)
- 100 reps total chest press
- 100 reps total leg press
- 50 reps total bent row
- Superset 50 reps each - Tricep kick back (hold at top) + bicep curl.
Once I’m settled to wherever and whenever I’m moving and know my travel schedule - will get back into normal routine. Guessing on/around 9/5.
Up and watching golf early. Just did rowing every commercial for last 3+ hours. Each commercial was about 650-700m worth. Have totaled about 8k so far and will keep going until 10k.
8/12 - lots of walking - and more golf on TV. Was down to the wire, and looks like Tiger is back!
- Jog and stretch
- 12x200m with 200m walk recovery
Mostly around 36” - but pushed a couple down to 33”.
- 2k rowing warmup - 7’20”
- Superset 8x8
- machine OHP
- Lat pull down
- DB snatch - 35 reps from 50 up to 100#
- Front lunges (short step push back) 50 reps each leg 30-50# DBs
- Curls - triceps - lateral raises : 50 reps each
- Dynamic warmup - jog, drills, buildups and Between Leg forward shot throws
- Shot Put - about 20 throws - a little further than last time on standing throws (36’+) about the same in full throws (39-40’)
- Discus - about 10 standing throws about same as last time (100’)
- Plyos - 30 contacts up stadium stairs
- Acceleration development - 12x22.5m
Funny how precise running and throwing can be where being off even by a couple inches in position can make a foot of difference on full throws.
Had a big idea today about my training. Going to start:
Project 30 by 40 in 20.
Get in as good or better overall shape as I was at 30 by my 40th birthday. At a higher body weight (215+ vs 200-205). Strength numbers should be relatively easy (already at/better in most) while speed - power - and conditioning will be tougher. Won’t write out the goals for all the markers, just the main ones and in parenthesis an estimate of where I am now:
- Squat: 450 (400)
- Deadlift: 550 (465)
- OHP: 225 (175)
- Snatch: 225 (175)
- Clean: 300 (255)
- Standing LJ: 10’8” (9’9”)
- 30m (electronic timing): 4.00 (4.2) - for reference an auto timed 4.00 30m would be equal to a 3.8 timed the way they do in combine - so equal to about a 4.55 40 yard
- 100m: 11.7 (no idea - probably 12.7+)
- 400m: 54 (60)
- Mile: 5’10” (no idea, probably a little under 6’)
On the road again with a 6 hour plane ride in a bit - so just got moving.
- Row 10 Mins easy - 2500m
- 10x5 DB cheat curl + push press. Up to 65#
- 500m of farmers walks up to 100# in 50m intervals with 1’ rest after each rep.
Travel home to see my sister, baby nephew, and parents - and do a 20 year HS reunion.
Nothing structured - a lot of walking (5-7 miles per day around Seattle) and one day of running. And 5 days of drinking…
Will be back to normal starting today after I wrap up my meetings in about an hour.
- 5’ row
- Superset - 60 reps each
- Lat Pull-downs
- Superset - 60 reps each
- Seated incline curls
- skull crushers
- Farmer’s Walk
- 600m with escalating weight from 50-100# - equal parts carry, walk w no carry.
- Jog and dynamic warmup
- Between leg forward throws w 16# shot
- 10 standing shot throws at 34-36’
- 8 full throws at 39-40’. One at 41’
- 8 standing Discus throws at 90-100’ one at 105’
- 5 full Discus throws mostly bad but one at 120’
- Acceleration - 11x22m
Pretty pleased with my foot speed and general explosives today. Worth noting that this Discus is a rubber practice disc which typically go 5-10% shorter than a competition Discus.
- A couple miles walk
- Superset (75 reps each including warmup)
- incline bench up to 75# DBs
- bent rows up to 75# DBs
- DB Snatch - 20 reps up to 90#
- Jog and stretch
- 10x200m with walk back recovery - most runs at 36” but ran a couple at 32.
Job meetings and doctor appointments.
600 KB swings sets of 5-20 over course of an hour or so.
Weights of 55 and 100#