1. Strength complex 5 rounds of:
    sumo deadlifts x8 at 225-265
    front rack walking lunges x8 at 135
    wall sit x 1 minute
  2. Metcon
    5 min EMOM of 5 power cleans at 165 + 30 double unders
    rest 3 minutes
    5 min EMOM of 3 squat cleans at 195 + 30 double unders

Good session. Leg felt good. Shoulder felt ok. The deadlifts were light and fast. The cycle times on the cleans were great. Each round on the EMOMs was 30-35 seconds.

1 Like

Yesterday:

1. Shoulder and hip mobility warm-up
  2. Pendlay Rows:
    a. 6x45
    b. 6x75
    c. 6x105
    d. 6x135
    e. 6x165
    d. 6x195 (cheat, a little more like a high pull but limited legs) ditto at 225 and 245
    f. 10x165
  3. Single Arm DB Overhead Press
    a. 10x25
    b. 10x30
    c. 10x35
    d. 10x40
  4. Prowler Push with 250# on turf - total of 500ā€™

Not sure if a cheat row is pointless or not. Prowler might be a little heavy for the surface I was on, as my achilles tendon felt a little tight from that much time under tension. Didnā€™t have much space at the gym yesterday, and CrossFit class was all burpees, handstand push-ups, and pull-ups - not happening with my shoulder.

Warmup: 2 rounds of - run 400m, band good mornings X 10, goblet squats x10

Squat - safety bar - 3x 65-155-245-295-325-355

Metcon - 18 minutes of 400m run then 25 deadlifts at 185. 5 rounds plus 200m of run.

Squats were slow. Metcon was easy. I didnā€™t push it, and wish I had. Another guy did 6 whole rounds - meaning 200m more running and 25 more deadlifts.

Took yesterday off due to work. My problem with when that happens is that it usually means eating worse and drinking more. Plus no workout=bad combo.

On plus side, spent an hour+ on the phone with Jim Wendler - discussing application of 5/3/1 in business and life. Fascinating conversation and great guy. A real craftsman. Quote of the conversation: do what is important and cut out all the bullshit. You have to leave your ego behind to do this. You also have to be willing to be a student whenever you get the chance, even if youā€™re paid/expected to be the teacher.

He also gave me good insight on how to program OLs in 531. Also said when Iā€™m not traveling or overworked to try to train every day as that will even things out. Ie if Iā€™m out of gym for 6 days straight, itā€™s ok to hit 7-8 days in a row if Iā€™m off the road.

1 Like

Birthday weekend in FL and just relaxed. Lots of walking around and beach time.

Stuck an extra day: hotel workout.

• 3 way lateral raises 30 total reps
  • 6x10 walking lunges w dumbbells + 100 foot walk. 50# Bells
  • curl and triceps superset - 50 reps each

Should add - also did 3 miles of kayaking on Saturday over the weekend, which was a surprisingly solid arms and back workout.

1 Like

Crossfit workout today

1. Strength piece - complex of landline press (4x5) - bent row (4x10) - band pull apart (4x10)
  2. Conditioning - 18 minutes of
    Run 400m
    25 box jumps to 24"
    20 alternate DB snatches w 50#
    15 front squat at 135
    10 ring rows

Got almost 3 rounds. I scale Crossfit by either adding weight or adding reps to the metcon sessions

1. 5ā€™ aerdyne plus some KB swings
  2. Cleans about 15 reps total between 195 and 235
  3. Deadlifts
    335x5
    385x5
    435x2
  4. Deadlift static holds with 260
    10s 1" off floor
    10s at knees
    10s at hips

Ran out of time so that was it. Deadlifts were moving slowly and my lat on my injured shoulder was twitchy so didnā€™t push it with 435 though could certainly have done more reps. I donā€™t touch and go on deadlifts but rather just do a quick reset after dropping the weight. How do others do this?

Iā€™ve started using touch n go until it gets too heavy and then I do a quick reset.

I donā€™t release my grip, but do completely reset for each rep. But then, I do deadlifts just as much for technique (1st pull in snatch or clean) as for strength.

1 Like

Got it. I donā€™t do touch and go bc of my shoulder injury, as the eccentric element makes me feel like shoulder will dislocate.

My work and travel schedule are absolutely brutal for trying to train consistently and wellā€¦ Last night had sales meeting till 10:30 - had to get to office by 7:30 AM, Meetings all day - and then headed to Cape Cod for the weekend. Fitting in 500 swings between calls during course of afternoon. Grip is wearing out!

Whatā€™s nuts is next week is Tues-Wed travel, then Friday to the beach in NJ, then the following week is Wed-Thursday travel, and then Cape Cod again for the weekend. Then looks like Iā€™m home for 8 straight days.

Basically committed to doing a proper gym session every day that doesnā€™t have travel, and going to continue to gradually progress the running and throwing - though I have not done as much of that as Iā€™d like.

On the plus side, my shoulder is feeling better, and generally body feels pretty good.

That doesnā€™t really sound like a bad life. I donā€™t feel bad for you that youā€™re going to the beach.

2 Likes

Right - put it that way itā€™s not so bad! Look at my waistline, different story!

Track day today

1. Jog and stretch warmup
  2. Shot put - 20-25 standing throws. No reverse. @Carl_Darby - just working on positions. Mostly around 11-11.50m. A couple near 12.
  3. Discus - 10 standing throws. No reverse. Mostly 33-35m. One a little further.
  4. 10x140 mostly around 23" with walk back recovery. One at 21.3

Throwing just rusty. Not much pop but will come back in a few more sessions. My full throw discus is usually 15% more than standing throws so thatā€™s not terrible.

Crossfit workout at gym today

1. Warmup - mobility and jogging
  2. Strength complex 5 rounds of 8
    Front squat - 135-155-175-195-245
    High box step ups (24") with 35# DB
    Good mornings with 95#
  3. Power metcon 10 minute emom
    5 power clean 205
    5 box jumps 30"

First time squatting deep without a box. Felt good. 50 reps at 205 clean. Crushed it today.

Traveling early and meetings in NY and D.C. Till late tonight. Just did a couple hundred swings plus some curls and triceps with kettle bell today.

Yesterday was more of the same - today - back to normal, so will get a workout in PM.

Yesterday

1. Warmup on bike and bar and mobility
  2. Clean complex - high hang, hang power, power from floor
    185-195-205-215-235
  3. Metcon - 15-12-9-6-3
    Power Clean 155
    Ring rows with feet level to hands

8ā€™17"

Pretty solid and ring rows are tough with feet elevated. Going to start doing more of those till I can do pull-ups again.

1 Like

Today - more travel.

300 swings with 55# KB right now before heading to airport. 5 sets of 60.