Crossfit vs Powerlifting

Yum.

Wow see is hot.

1. I would bang just about every woman on that video

2. for a million dollars, I wouldn’t mind walking into a CF comp, those deads ohs and box jumps looked pretty sad. I cant imagine keeping up without learning to kip though

Check out this crossfit inspired workout video by ex-NFL pro Kurt Campbell. He’s a BEAST!

Strongman is always really cool to watch plus they can always come up with new events so I can see how that could get more attention. Crossfit though is a joke I bet none of them can even squat much more than their body weight and if they did probably not more than once a week with a deload every 4th.

So the big thing is…I should go compete in crossfit games and collect a million bucks? When’s the next one?

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:
So the big thing is…I should go compete in crossfit games and collect a million bucks? When’s the next one?[/quote]

We just missed, regionals…

I think more conditioned lighter pler’s could own this with a little bit of prep

[quote]iluvgmas wrote:

So the big thing is…I should go compete in crossfit games and collect a million bucks? When’s the next one?[/quote]

We just missed, regionals…

I think more conditioned lighter pler’s could own this with a little bit of prep[/quote]

Exactly. I think I’ll go win this then gloat to all crossfitters I meet that I only trained for a few months and went and won their thing.

If I’m not mistaken Reebok pledged $250,000 to the winner of this year’s Crossfit Games. The latest WSM prize was $40,000, and we all know how much money there is in powerlifting.

So the real point of this thread is that powerlifting needs to learn a thing or two from crossfit as to how to make their sport more appealing (maybe make up games and friendly in gym competitions, celebrate holidays with special workouts, etc) and try to get more organized in terms of leadership?

Minimize the federations. I think this is the biggest thing affecting the popularity of powerlifting. It’s very off-putting in my opinion. At least with crossfit if you win crossfit games or whatever you know you’re king of the cultards, in powerlifting you may set a world record in one federation and it doesn’t mean anything to another federation.

Minimize the federations. I think this is the biggest thing affecting the popularity of powerlifting. It’s very off-putting in my opinion. At least with crossfit if you win crossfit games or whatever you know you’re king of the cultards, in powerlifting you may set a world record in one federation and it doesn’t mean anything to another federation.[/quote]

While we’re at it, why don’t we collapse Christianity down into a single denomination instead of the 2000+ versions of Christianity that we have now. =)

I’m sorry if I offended anyone here, I just thought it was a pretty decent comparison. Christianity became “official” as Roman Catholicism, from there it fractured into the Lutherans and the Protestants and now there are far too many to count…why? Because some members didn’t like playing by the rules of the church they were a member of, so they came up with their own version.

Powerlifting is really no different. We’ve got new feds popping up all of the time. Part of it is the rules, should it be raw, single ply, double ply? what material? length for wraps? monolifts? Open backed shirts? how low can they be worn? Drug testing? What is considered a passing squat? how low can one bring the bar on the bench?

The other part is politics…which I was just recently exposed to. You’ve got some federations that are losing members because of absolutely retarded ass rules…take the USPF “NO BOXER UNDERWEAR” rule for instance. There are folks who want this changed but the chairmen and president aren’t making the changes, so what then? Do you continue to lift in a fed that has retarded rules or move onto another fed?

At the end of the day I don’t really give a shit about crossfit being more popular or lucrative than powerlifting. I do my thing because I enjoy it. There’s lots of shit I do because I enjoy it and I’ve never made a penny on any of it. My wife does scrapbooking, she spends money on it, she doesn’t MAKE money doing it…but she enjoys it. 99.9% of kids who play any sport are NEVER going to have a shot at MAKING MONEY playing the sport. I’m paying $300 per kid (x 2 kids) for them to play football this fall, that’s no including cleats or any other bullshit they might need. Do I expect them to become the next Tom Brady? not at all.

It would be nice to see some of the top level powerlifters get something back for what they are doing. I thought that’s what the WPO was all about but last I checked that seems defunct these days. The only money is through becoming a trainer or getting a sponsorship from a supplement company but I don’t even know how much either of those are worth.

Oh well. <3

My recommendation to make powerlifting more popular would be

1. True testing in a legitimate, world wide association
  2. Only raw lifting - it is hard for the general public to appreciate suited lifts.
  3. Clear, easily discernible standards, especially for squat
  4. Somehow get away from the stereotypical meathead powerlifter view. There are all types of people who powerlift, including old and young, men and women, 130 pounds guys and 300 pounds guys.

I realize that these are the norm for some associations, but not all.

wanna make powerlifting more popular
make it an olympic sport already

Judging solely from the video posted, it looks like having a taste for dick is a requirement for crossfit.

As always, Storm the Beach just says it like it is. Say what you want about Cross Fit, they do have their shit together. It may be a fad, but I don’t see it on its way out. I don’t think it’s close to peaking even.

[quote]danjo228 wrote:
As always, Storm the Beach just says it like it is. Say what you want about Cross Fit, they do have their shit together. It may be a fad, but I don’t see it on its way out. I don’t think it’s close to peaking even.
[/quote]

Agreed. This whole thread is people “saying what they want” about CrossFit, but no one has disproved STB’s claim that they have their shit together (and the suggestion that powerlifting does not).

There is a much clearer and most likely far easier path to “commercial success” in CrossFit than there is in powerlifting. But as unstable just said, who starts powerlifting for commercial success?

[quote]brickonwheels wrote:
My recommendation to make powerlifting more popular would be

1. True testing in a legitimate, world wide association
  2. Only raw lifting - it is hard for the general public to appreciate suited lifts.
  3. Clear, easily discernible standards, especially for squat
  4. Somehow get away from the stereotypical meathead powerlifter view. There are all types of people who powerlift, including old and young, men and women, 130 pounds guys and 300 pounds guys.

I realize that these are the norm for some associations, but not all.[/quote]

IPF just added raw, and have the same testing as olympics. Shame they messed up the weight classes though. And if you look around, most “good” powerlifters 275 or under aren’t fat meatheads. It’s more an issue that it is rarely presented that way. Shit, most people don’t even know what powerlifting is, let alone how to get into it.

I think the main thing with crossfit is that it is centralised. Gyms pay to be affiliated and know it’ll make them money, people train in groups doing the same training, and it aligns with most “mainstream” goals from working out. Powerlifting is too splintered right now to have a prayer at that, and honestly there’s FA money to be made by a gym by catering purely to powerlifting vs crossfit.

Strippers at PL meets. That’ll raise attendance. Might be a little distracting during attempts though.

Crossfit is starting to target some stronger people with Crossfit Total.

It’s basically raw powerlifting with squat, bench, overhead press. It’s the first crossfit type event I’ve actually considered doing.

Granted, for the “crossfitters” they’re talking 1000# totals, of which I could exceed easily on 2 lifts, but it’s a start.